Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad passed and I’m not sure I’m grieving “properly”

emmalea jane

• Members
emmalea jane

I am grieving the loss of my Dad to Covid on October 30, 2021. He suffered so much. We were so close…. Lived states away but talked on the phone every other day or so. I miss my Daddy so much. I’ll always need him. Had to put his urn and a picture of us next to it away this afternoon. I’m not coping well and it’s hard seeing it day after day on the fireplace mantle. I just miss him so very much, and always will.

• Members
MomsLovingSon

To start, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It's great, however, that you two were so close - sadly that's part of why it hurts so much. There's no proper way to grieve. Some people feel like they need to be around people constantly, others need to be alone, some cry every night for awhile after and others seemingly show no emotion about it. It's okay that you had to put the urn and picture away. You know where it is, you know it's with you. Maybe one day you'll set it out where you can always see it and it might bring you a little comfort - or maybe it'll be something you go just to look at a few times a year. It doesn't mean you love him any more or less whichever way you go. In the case of my mom I have a big picture of her in the living room (which is connected to the kitchen as it's an open floor plan) and I basically can't avoid seeing it when I'm out there (not that I want to avoid it). In a clear box in the living room on a table I keep the rose that I took from atop of her casket. Maybe one day I'll move it somewhere more private, but for now at least I want it there, close to where my mom would always be at home. It's not right or wrong, it's just what works for me.