Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Brother died

Mea88

• Members

My brother died very suddenly a couple of years ago(he was only 31). He had numerous health problems since being diagnosed with cancer in his 20s. He was a brilliant and gifted academic who had to drop out of university due to his illness (he still..through sheer will..went back to take his exams and get his degree) He was also born with a disability and faced so many health issues and personal struggles throughout this period. I found his constant health problems very difficult to deal with and felt hopeless to help. We had a strong bond growing up and his death has been utterly devastating. Never got to say goodbye. I am consumed with the unfairness of it all and utter sorrow still. Don't know how to make sense of it. He is the only sibling I had a bond with. I grieve for my parents who supported him so lovingly and strongly through this all but ultimately lost a son..and try to deal with my own grief. We haven't even had a funeral (due to Covid and other issues). I can't sometimes grasp the breathtaking cruelty of life...

• Members
Valerie Lockhart

Dear Mea88,

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. He seemed to be a true fighter and an encouragement to others with and without disabilities. Since COVID-19, I've been to many funerals on Zoom. I even helped some friends by preparing a video using pictures of their loved ones with an encouraging song in the background that was played before and after the service. Perhaps you and your family can hold a memorial service using Zoom. Maybe, you can express your feelings about your brother in a special poem or read a letter during the service. I've found the Bible's promise of a resurrection to be comforting - Revelation 21:3,4. I appreciate learning that Jehovah is the God of truth. “God . . . cannot lie.” (Titus 1:2) Jehovah has never lied, and he never will. So, I've found it comforting knowing that his promises will come true. I hope you too will find comfort in the hope of a resurrection. 

• Hugs 1

• Members

Thank you for your lovely response:) I don't judge anyone for any beliefs they may have..I think whatever gets you through is what you should focus on.. sadly, I am not religious so will need to find my way through this differently. It's all so complicated.