Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Step dad just passed, 7 months after my mom

• Members

My mom passed 7 months ago. She was the center of My universe, and pretty much the only thing that anchored me to existence. Now, almost exactly 7 months later my stepdad just passed away last night. I certainly wasn't as close to my stepdad as I was to my mom, but we were relatively close and always got along and we've been living together since I was a kid.

He had been okay, certainly not frail at all. He was still regularly walking to the corner store, walking up and down the basement steps with his laundry. He had just turned 82. Then about a month ago he went to the hospital experiencing some chest issues. They did some scans and found a lot of his arteries clogged, and decided he needed five stents to be put in. He also had put in a pump which was supposed to be temporary to help with the heart while it adjusts to the stents.

They removed the pump a couple of days ago and he seemed to be doing well, then at one point his heart stopped for 10 seconds. He came back but they determined his heart was not gaining in strength and he would need to have the pump put in again. They put it back in yesterday, and the procedure went okay, however his heart really didn't strengthen much at all. I literally, just got the phone call from the hospital 3 hours ago that he passed away.

I feel almost shell-shocked as I sit here. My mom and now my step Dad gone within 7 months. I'm pretty much babbling at this point, it's just that I made a few phone calls I needed to make to notify people of his passing an hour or two ago and now I have no one to speak with. So I just came here to get some of my thoughts out.

I don't really have much of a point to this post. I suppose I'll be back later rambling a bit since I really don't have anyone to talk to and feel like my entire existence is just some kind of surreal unrelenting nightmare at this point. Well, I guess I'm done. Everyone out there, try to be well.