Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Marriage!

William M

• Members

Gail- I agree, These are my feelings about my personal situation, and everyone has there own path to follow.  Within the last few days, I had a phone meeting with  The SS office and did my taxes. All this drove home that I was now single which I refuse to believe.  

BTW For those that did not know. If your spouse dies your entitled to a $255.00 payment from SS.  Not much of a return for years of paying in, but might as well get something!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 4/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, SSC said:

I feel exactly as you do.  I was married for 35 years, I was very young when we got together and I have such difficulty thinking of myself with anyone else.  I’ve always said I’d have male friends but to remarry…is beyond my scope of thinking.  It’s too strange.  I just cannot see myself being comfortable enough to ever be in that type of a relationship again.

Ditto to all of this, including marrying fairly young (25; met him at 23) and having 35 years of marriage.  I've had male friends since grade school and am not bereft of them now.  They are a grace in my life because I can trust them with my life, literally, and never have to worry about...well, anything.

John was and is and will ever be my one love.  It's taken quite some time to get to the point where I can truly celebrate that we found each other in this great big world and that he loved me, flaws and all.  That's enough for me.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, William M said:

Am I alone in this feeling?

No. I am 58 with a chronic illness. Doubt anyone would be interested in me. I'm not being negative, just realistic. Besides, the more important thing is that Hubby #2 was it for me. He was truly one of a kind, my old shoe, my everything. As far as I see it, our marriage still exists -through me. However, with that being said, hopefully I will make new friends to do things with.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

@William M  I wear my ring and her rings on my left hand.  Like others have said here, I tick all the proper boxes on the stupid legal forms, but she is my one and only and cannot see being with anyone else because my beautiful wife was my Mount Everest and I fear anyone else wouldn't even be able to reach base camp. Maybe thats not fair to anyone else who could be out there but it's how I feel.  I don't even think of other women.  I cant even look at other women because I only see my wife.  If it's my fate that God puts someone else in my path, OK so be it, but I'm not looking for it.  I'm only 51 but hopefully my road comes to an end before too long.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

OP, you aren’t alone in your thinking. Until I found this site, I thought I might be.

Recently filed our last joint return with the IRS. Going forward, it’s definitely going to feel strange filing as single or widower, or whatever happens to be correct.

But, like you and others on this thread, I still consider myself married. We made vows, kept them for many years, her dying of cancer doesn’t change that for me. Fifteen months on, I still wear my ring, and can’t imagine ever taking it off. She was an amazing woman, irreplaceable.

Our monument is in place, just waiting for my date of death. I’m early ‘60’s, so hopefully that will be many years in the future. I need more time to enjoy our children and grandkids.

I’ve found that most people don’t “get” what I’m going through. They think they do, but unless you’ve lived it like we on this thread have, it’s hard to imagine the emotional trauma that we’ve had to deal with.

It is nice to find a place like this where people understand, as sad as the circumstances of that understanding have proven to be.

Best wishes to all of y’all.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mojo said:

OP, you aren’t alone in your thinking. Until I found this site, I thought I might be.

Welcome here, I hope you'll continue reading/posting here, it helps knowing others "get it" and understand.  We want to be here for you, no one should have to feel they're alone in what they're going through, feeling.

This is a very valid topic, I'm glad William posted.  Death does not arrest our love or our feelings, even of commitment.  Recognizing this was our person, unique and irresplaceable!

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs))) Praying for you today.

• Members
7 hours ago, HisPumpkin said:

I had a reading today (forgive me if you’re not a believer in such things, I’ve detailed a little more on my own thread), and he kept saying “husband”. Ironically last night I was seriously considering changing my last name by deed poll anyway. I wanted so much to be his wife. 

If I may be so bold:  You are his wife in every way that matters.  You belong to each other, heart and soul.  Yes, the legal papers and ceremony and maybe a party are good things, but they aren't all that makes a marriage.  Being soulmates is what makes us bound to each other with unbroken threads of love.

If you can change your name by deed poll, why not do it?  (Forgive me, I don't know UK law well enough to know the circumstances that allow name changes.  I believe that you can do it simply because you want to and have it certified?  Then you would use the paperwork the way I used my marriage license in conjunction with my birth certificate and driver's license to prove change of name?)

You kept saying "husband" because that is who D is to you.  And don't worry about whether others believe or don't believe in things you do.  We're all different and we respect that.  My husband John and I left the formal religions in which we were raised (traditional Episcopal and Methodist-Episcopal) for a more universal faith because that's what worked for us as we got older.  It was hard to explain to some family members that leaving a religion was not at all the same as losing or leaving our faith.  Ultimately, we decided not to make their frustration our problem.  My faith remains intact in the way that John and I believed.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

Not that, right now, I have the faintest clue how to do any of it for myself

None of us did...I'm glad you found this place and welcome you here.  I'm glad to see you reading/posting and hope you'll continue, it really helps to know there's others that "get it" and understand, and that we're not alone in how we're feeling, as tnd put it, that what we're feeling is normal in these abnormal circumstances.

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs))) Praying for you today.

• Moderators

2 hours ago, William M said:

I WILL be married to my darling wife until I say I'm not

It seems to me to be a state of the heart, not paper anyway.  I'm glad we were legally bound in marriage, but just because his body gave out doesn't change how I feel.  I continue on faith in him and in our relationship, just as our relationship started out, so it continues.

• Like 4

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

It seems to me to be a state of the heart, not paper anyway.  I'm glad we were legally bound in marriage, but just because his body gave out doesn't change how I feel.  I continue on faith in him and in our relationship, just as our relationship started out, so it continues.

Kay, I agree 100%. That’s how I feel. (I guess my username is probably a clue.:wink:)

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

you are just going to go with self-empowerment, and the heck with any other person or group or organizations or dogmas or doctrines on Earth.

Absolutely!  I grew moxie when my husband died, I had to.

10 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

KayC's wise counsel (for but one example) has been of immense value.

I won't even ask you to cite that one because the point is, it isn't meant to be a grief manual, we're all unique, my tips were gathered from daily interactions on grief sites over many years, not merely my experience, but thousands of others, what worked/helped them.  Not a one size fits all.  You will differ from me in many ways, I've no doubt! ;)

• Hugs 1

• Members
On 5/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, KayC said:

Absolutely!  I grew moxie when my husband died, I had to.

Dear KayC,

I ended up 'copy-pasting' your "Grief Process" -- for my personal use only. I will not distribute it to anyone else and most definitely not without proper attribution back to you -- and I 'bolded and highlighted' a whole bunch of it, that fits with me for where I am right now. (I know that my 'bolds and highlights' will shift all around, but then I'll print them out again, with whatever date is happening at that time.)

Anyway. But and so...having to grow moxie. (This is a bit of a humourous 'story' that all of you here -- ALL OF YOU, not just KayC -- have helped me to be able to share.)

We used to live, now just me all by myself lives, close to a couple of different parks/natural outdoor spaces, and squirrels are a real nuisance. So, when we used to go for walks and they'd come anywhere close to approaching us, he'd always go into this 'martial arts' pose, and say to me, "Don't worry...I'll defend and protect you -- with the tone of, "Ronni, you big baby; they're harmless, just yell and they'll run away, you big baby."  And we'd laff and laff.

Anyway so. Then I had to be walking by myself, and some stupid squirrel showed up in the peripheral, and I found myself saying to it: "Just come one millimeter closer, you effin' swine, and I'll kick you to kingdom come!!!" And I was dead serious, and I would have done it, too. Moxie, right? 🙂.

(A whole different story that at least one squirrel has taken my balcony as its 'safe and protected' space. Just earlier on this very day, I was banging and banging on the window, and the stupid effin' thing actually jumped towards me [although I was safe behind the window/door], and ducked into its nest that it has built for itself -- out of cardboard boxes that I put out there a couple of months ago. I swear this is all true! Before this happened today, I already asked my ex-husband to come over one day when the weather is good, and dismantle and get rid of the nest, and get rid of the remaining pieces of boxes. I kid you guys not!!! {I don't YET have enough 'moxie' to go out there by myself! <LOL>.})

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
24 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

@Ronni_W  I have been afraid of squirrels all my life. [...] I know it's irrational but my fear is real. [...] The last home my husband and I shared was on a small coastal island and it had no squirrels! Too salty I suppose. [...]

Gail,

you made me laff and laff!!!  (William, I know that this is your thread, so please just stop me when you feel that I am 'hijacking' or taking it over on account of squirrels -- they are like that, really very sneaky, as Gail said, and manipulative and all the rest of like that -- do they want to become our 'overlords'??? -- and, if so, let us not fall under their 'spell'. 🙂.)

Is salt a thing against squirrels? Do I need to buy one pound or one tonne???

Love and hugs and all comforting things, to every single person who is reading this.  Ronni

• Like 1

• Members
11 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

some stupid squirrel showed up in the peripheral, and I found myself saying to it: "Just come one millimeter closer, you effin' swine, and I'll kick you to kingdom come!!!" And I was dead serious, and I would have done it, too. Moxie, right? 🙂.

I once stood too close to a tree for shade while I ate a sandwich. Yup, you guessed it. His furry little hand reached across me, right past my face as I was about to take a bite. Wished that I had moxie. I don't get too close to trees anymore tho. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

Is salt a thing against squirrels? Do I need to buy one pound or one tonne???

I don't know about salt but I do know that if you live where there are squirrels not to keep bags of nuts lying around. I knew a woman who kept a large bag of pecans on the hearth of her fireplace. She began noticing that a lot of the pecans would be missing. Then finally she caught the culprit red-handed; a squirrel had been coming down the chimney and stealing the pecans. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I know it's irrational but my fear is real.

Not at all!  If people knew what they were like, they would realize they ARE wild, not just cute little furry creatures.  They can be threatening, a menace, I wouldn't say I hate them but I respect that they are not domesticated and sometimes it's healthy to have a bit of fear out of respect for what they can do.  They'd bite your nose off if given a chance.  And although they can carry rabies, it's rare because they don't survive it.

15 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

They are sneaky, approaching from the tree canopy as well as on the ground.

Yes.  They know no bounds.  They often build nests in my woodpile although they desert them long before I get to the wood.

• Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, Dragonfly999 said:

I’ve had a lot of people (who I’m sure just don’t know what to say but still!) insensitively quickly reassure me that because I’m young (35), I will certainly fall in love again or “find another soul mate

I'm not excusing them but maybe they had good intentions when they say things like this. And yes, it's probably because you are young. But I am going to assume that the more likely reason people say things like that is because  it makes them think they've done their polite little duty and can now move on (and away) from the dark cloud we must emit while grieving. 

• Like 2

• Members
46 minutes ago, tnd said:

I'm not excusing them but maybe they had good intentions when they say things like this. And yes, it's probably because you are young. But I am going to assume that the more likely reason people say things like that is because  it makes them think they've done their polite little duty and can now move on (and away) from the dark cloud we must emit while grieving. 

Yep,  I believe you nailed it!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I STILL have people telling me I should look for someone!  Uhh, after 17 years don't you think I'm used to being alone?!  This was never my preference but I'm not going out looking!  

I'm sorry for those who are young that get those comments all the time 

19 hours ago, Dragonfly999 said:

quickly reassure me that because I’m young (35), I will certainly fall in love again or “find another soul mate.”

How annoying and inappropriate!  Not like losing an item and just going to the store to "replace it!"  

• Like 4

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I really do feel like I won life's lottery in that I had 38 years married to the most wonderful man. 

I only knew him 6 1/2 years, now it's been 17 he's been gone, even though we were only married 3 years 8 months, I felt more with him than in the rest of my life put together, he was my person!  I am so glad we met and knew each other, it's amazing how we clicked and understood each other, our love/caring was amazing.

15 hours ago, HDee said:

So true!  I had 50 years with mine...a blessing.  My only son passed away at 42...our best friend and another blessing.  I tell people, "I had a wonderful husband, a wonderful son, and we had a wonderful life together."  I always try to remember that.

I am so sorry you lost your son too, how hard!  And yet you have amazing attitude and focus on the positive.  Kudos! :wub:

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I only knew him 6 1/2 years, now it's been 17 he's been gone, even though we were only married 3 years 8 months, I felt more with him than in the rest of my life put together, he was my person!  I am so glad we met and knew each other, it's amazing how we clicked and understood each other, our love/caring was amazing.

I am so sorry you lost your son too, how hard!  And yet you have amazing attitude and focus on the positive.  Kudos! :wub:

Yes, but I have to work at it.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 5/27/2022 at 6:08 AM, HDee said:

Yes, we do.  It's not like it comes easy to us.

• Members
On 5/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, HDee said:

I tell people, "I had a wonderful husband, a wonderful son, and we had a wonderful life together.

That's how I look at my time with my husband. If we had our way, we'd have them forever. My husband and I use to talk about what the other would do after the other one is gone. I would not have been opposed to him remarrying but neither of us wanted to. No, I will be by myself now.  My life is such a mess right now but hopefully once I get into a new apartment things will calm down and I will make new friends. Congrats on the success of your long marriage. 

• Like 1

• Members
On 5/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, HDee said:

HDee, thank you!

With those six (6) words, you reminded me of something about myself -- and maybe is something about me that attracted my late husband to me in the first place. (*Maybe*.)

I used to know that, for the most part that is the overall, maintaining and sustaining an "amazing attitude and focus on the positive" does, indeed, take work - a lot of sometimes very challenging and difficult work. AND I had it...AND I knew how to do it.     In the intervening time, I've sort of lost...I guess...my confidence in that I have it and/or still know how to do it.

Not that, at this present minute, I have it all sorted out right now. But that you reminded me that...I couldn't possibly have lost it; but only lost sight of it. About me.

(Not that him not being here right now sucks any less, right at this present minute. It sucks. <laugh; sigh; cry; smile; laugh.>.)

💓💓💓.   Ronni

• Hugs 1