Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Expressing grief

Chel

• Members

I have always had trouble expressing my grief when losing a loved one. The worst kind of pain is the kind that you have to hold in while you’re in public, the need to cry and let yourself process, it can be overwhelming. It can be frustrating to experience symptoms of grief when out in public. 

I just needed to put this out to the world because it feels out of place saying this anywhere else and I’m exhausted talking about this with people in my life.

Give your loved ones a heartfelt hug, tell that special person how much you love them. Time is so short and it’s only a matter of time before the rug underneath our feet gets pulled out.

• Members
Valerie Lockhart

Dear Chel,

I can relate to your sentiment. However, sometimes I find it hard to hold back the tears. I was in a grocery store and tears just came down from nowhere. Few things cause more stress or heartache than the death of a parent, mate, relative, or dear friend. Crying spells, yearning for the deceased, and abrupt mood changes may be experienced. Emotions may be further charged by vivid memories and dreams. Initially, though, the primary reaction may be shock and disbelief. What is helping me to cope with grief is prayer and the Bible's promise of a resurrection. The Bible says at Psalm 34:15: “The eyes of Jehovah * are on the righteous, and his ears listen to their cry for help.” Expressing our feelings in prayer to God is more than good therapy or a means of organizing our thoughts. It actually helps us to establish a personal relationship with our Creator, who can use his power to comfort us. 

Imagine a time in the future when those in the grave will be brought back to life here on earth! The Bible repeatedly speaks of such a time. Describing what conditions on earth will then be like, the Bible states that God “will wipe out every tear from [our] eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.”—Revelation 21:3, 4.

Many, like myself, who believe in Jehovah, the God of the Bible, are significantly empowered to cope with grief by embracing the hope of seeing their dead loved ones again.

If you accept the existence of God, you should have no problem believing in the resurrection. To illustrate: A person can videotape his last will and testament, and after he dies, his relatives and friends can see and hear him, in effect, as he explains how his estate is to be handled. A hundred years ago, such a thing was unthinkable. If scientific principles established by the Creator can be used by humans to reconstruct such a visible and audible scene, should not the Creator be able to do far more? Is it not reasonable, then, that the One who created life is capable of re-creating it?

I've learned from reading the Bible that Jehovah God, who started mankind off in a lovely garden, has promised to restore Paradise on this earth under the rule of His heavenly Kingdom in the hands of the now glorified Jesus Christ. (Genesis 2:7-9; Matthew 6:10; Luke 23:42, 43) In that restored Paradise, the human family will have the prospect of enjoying life without end, free from all sickness and disease. (Revelation 21:1-4; compare Job 33:25; Isaiah 35:5-7.) Gone, too, will be all hatred, racial prejudice, ethnic violence, and economic oppression. It will be into such a cleansed earth that Jehovah God through Jesus Christ will resurrect the dead.

I hope the cited scriptures strengthens you, as they have renewed my hope for the future.