Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I just want him back

Mari1

• Members

My husband and I made the difficult decision to put our baby to sleep. It happened so quickly and without warning that it's difficult to process. Our cat Pollo started acting weird Friday night,  he started hiding and was just not his usual self. He didn't eat that whole day and had thrown up randy that morning.  My husband took him to the vet the next morning thinking he was just dehydrated since it happened before. Initially the vet thought he might have an obstruction like a hairball which was causing him to not eat. They gave him fluids and sent us along with medication to try to dissolve whatever hairball was in there. Come Monday,  after 3 days of the same behavior we rushed him back to the vet. After some blood work and x-rays turns out he was suffering from acute kidney failure. 

I drove around Houston the rest of the day trying to find a vet that might save his life. The whole time I couldn't process the fact that my sweet Pollo was dying and suffering as the day progressed. Each prognosis was gave him very little chances of survival and in the end we just didn't want to put him through more pain just so he could stay with us. By the the end of the day Pollo wasn't Pollo anymore, his eyes were dead, he couldn't drink water, he was barely responsive to our touch. In the end My husband was the only one brave enough to make the call. And so our sweet 4 year old kitty had to be put to sleep. 

The tears won't stop and as we spend the first night in our bedroom I can't help but miss his little paws and his warm body pressed up against my legs. I don't understand any of it and I keep thinking what if we had fought a little more, would he have survived? Did we make the right call? 

I would give anything to have him back home with us. I feel nothing but the pain his departure has left. 

I wish I had more time with him, I miss him so much already and I don't know how to cope with this grief.  

Pollo we love you. Till next time my sweet boy.  

Snapchat-409238243.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-200526_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-200723_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is, but all the more so with your cat being so young...mine was 25 so it seemed time, although it was unexpected.  She had kidney and liver failure, they told me there was nothing could be done about either.  She had thyroid issues but those are treatable.  She stopped eating and wasn't feeling herself, hiding under the table, no tolerance for the puppy even though he never approached her, just looking at her was all it took for her to be mad at him.  She lost 1/2 her body weight.  I had her euthanized.  First sign of her not feeling well was on Christmas, she seemed to improve, then worsened, by the time they could get her in (holidays are a bad time for this), I knew it was her time, when they tested her, it only confirmed what I already knew, kidney failure, the liver I hadn't expected but it stands to reason if one fails the other isn't far behind...I had her euthanized Jan. 6, it was hardly time to digest this.  I guess I'd expected she'd live forever, even though I knew of no other than lived that long.

I am very sorry you only got four years, I hope you can look at it that you gave him four wonderful years and loved him fully.  He is beautiful.

I hope this brings you some comfort...

• Members
11 hours ago, Mari1 said:

Thank you so much for this. I just hope he knew how loved and how missed he will be. 

Welcome, Mari1.  I'm so sorry you and your husband lost your sweet boy.  He is so handsome and looks like a wonderful companion.  It's always hard and, in some ways, even more when they're young.  All of us here know the pain of losing our furry loves.  My heart hurts for you tonight.

I'm absolutely sure Pollo knew how much you loved him and that you still do.  He knows you miss him. as he misses you.  It's clear from what you've written that you gave him everything.  But sometimes, there's nothing we can do except help "lift them up" out of their pain.  Even though we know how much we will grieve and how our hearts will break, we do it for them out of love.

I have faith that the Rainbow Bridge exists.  Maybe it's not how we imagine it, but it's there.  I believe that our loved pets are healthy, strong, and happy while they wait for us.  When it's my time, I hope so much that our Charlie (my soul dog) and Penny (my husband's soul cat) will be there with my John to greet me so we will all be together again, forever.  And I believe your Pollo will be there for you.  That won't help your grieving heart now, but I hope that it might comfort you in the future.

((HUGS))

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Mari1 said:

Thank you so much for this. I just hope he knew how loved and how missed he will be. 

I am certain they do know.  They're very smart, and their spirit still exists...

• Like 1

• Members
CharliesM0m2012
On 4/19/2022 at 10:59 AM, Mari1 said:

My husband and I made the difficult decision to put our baby to sleep. It happened so quickly and without warning that it's difficult to process. Our cat Pollo started acting weird Friday night,  he started hiding and was just not his usual self. He didn't eat that whole day and had thrown up randy that morning.  My husband took him to the vet the next morning thinking he was just dehydrated since it happened before. Initially the vet thought he might have an obstruction like a hairball which was causing him to not eat. They gave him fluids and sent us along with medication to try to dissolve whatever hairball was in there. Come Monday,  after 3 days of the same behavior we rushed him back to the vet. After some blood work and x-rays turns out he was suffering from acute kidney failure. 

I drove around Houston the rest of the day trying to find a vet that might save his life. The whole time I couldn't process the fact that my sweet Pollo was dying and suffering as the day progressed. Each prognosis was gave him very little chances of survival and in the end we just didn't want to put him through more pain just so he could stay with us. By the the end of the day Pollo wasn't Pollo anymore, his eyes were dead, he couldn't drink water, he was barely responsive to our touch. In the end My husband was the only one brave enough to make the call. And so our sweet 4 year old kitty had to be put to sleep. 

The tears won't stop and as we spend the first night in our bedroom I can't help but miss his little paws and his warm body pressed up against my legs. I don't understand any of it and I keep thinking what if we had fought a little more, would he have survived? Did we make the right call? 

I would give anything to have him back home with us. I feel nothing but the pain his departure has left. 

I wish I had more time with him, I miss him so much already and I don't know how to cope with this grief.  

Pollo we love you. Till next time my sweet boy.  

Snapchat-409238243.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-200526_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-200723_Facebook.jpg

Gorgeous looking kitty.  So sorry for your loss.  I found this forum because I was up all night looking for pet loss helplines because I have just lost the female dog I had for 9 years.  She used to sleep with me.  She was my best friend and the girly I could tell anything.  😞

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members
Eternalsoul

@Mari1

He's so cute. I hope you find comfort in knowing this isn't the end. 

He's watching over you and you'll see him again. I know it all hurts so very much. I'm still missing my baby girl so very much and I just want you to know that although he's gone from his body he is not gone from your life. 

He still exists and I don't want anyone to ever think otherwise. 

I really like those photos of him. He's with you!!!!!! 

806825521----_i_was_with_you_for_ejd.jpg

• Like 1