Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My friend is losing her partner

Bill V

• Members

A dear wfriend is in the last stages of hospices, he is on morphine and oxygen. My heart goes out to his wife  and sister both dear friends and camping friends. I feel hopeless and I’m already feeling her pain, that pain is still fresh I’m my mine and I don’t want her and her sister to go through it too. I hope to at some point to get her here to get some help getting through this. 

Any suggestions on what I should do or say to her? Thanks 

• Like 3

• Members

Just be there to listen.  There are no answers that will help with pain.  When my wife was in her last few days it didn't matter what people said to me.  Having people around me just helped with keeping my mind occupied.  You might talk about your experience and to talk about what a blessing it is to have people in our lives that change us and guide us on our path.  If it were me I would just talk about my journey and how my wife told me to be happy and not dwell on her leaving.  I'll never be able to give great advice but maybe something I say to someone on here will help.  I have a friend who lost his best friend, Dad, and just two weeks ago his sister in law.  This was over two years.  He told me that life is full of twists and they lead us on the path we need to be on.  Good luck and I hope you find the strength and words to help.  Stay strong my friend.

• Like 2

• Members
Canadagirl81

The pain they will feel is inevitable, there is nothing you can say or do to stop it. Just be there for them, listen, be a constant. Whatever they need and you are able to, do it. You are a good friend. Let them know whatever they need, you've got them. 
Sending all of you love. 

• Like 1

• Members

Less than 4 weeks ago, having been at the bedside of someone dear to me in their final few days on oxygen and morphine, I can say having people there to listen and understand was powerful, and having people there who cared about her enough for us to share the grief was even more powerful. These things brought huge comfort. 

Being there, genuinely caring for them, and not disappearing in their hour of need is the best (and probably only) thing you can do. 

• Like 2

• Members

Thanks everyone, well he is still hanging in there now everyone that is important to him it there. Members from his church are coming today to pray with them. I called is wife last night she is a dear friend I think it helped a lot she had lots of questions and wanted to know if I had  experience these same things. I told her about this forum and how much it as helped me plus I told her to call me anytime day or night, and please reach out for help even if you just need an ear to get things off your chest.  I love them all so much and would do anything for them. They are my chosen family or as we always said the Fam Damily.   

• Hugs 3