Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Coping with Easter weekend

DWS

• Members
7 hours ago, PLin said:

I spent today filing taxes for last year. I am SO proud of myself. I was always the one who looked after that job but this year it seemed overwhelming and monumental. I have been putting it off. Not sure what happened today but I just picked up my laptop and decided to do it. Now I am so relieved that one more difficult chore is complete. Ted died in January so I didn't have to tackle his final return this year. 

That sounds like an achievement to be proud of....and hopefully it results in a good night's sleep for you! I'm certainly envious because I have yet to do mine. Tom was an independent accountant. This time of year was always his busiest couple of months and will forever now be a trigger for me every year. 

1 hour ago, tnd said:

I am doing mine this weekend and I know it shouldn't be hard but I dread trying to focus on anything these days. I either get sleepy or start to feel agitated. 

I never enjoy doing my tax form but this year, what I dread is re-visiting 2021 when everything was going just fine...other than coping with a pandemic, of course. All of the information that I'll be going through will have dates from each month which will remind me of what the two of us were doing at that time. All of them will be sweet and happy memories but things are still too raw to re-live them. It's going to be a real challenge.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Easter has been difficult.  My wife was excited to hide eggs and treats.  She had me hide the higher up ones..maybe that was just me giving the kids a challenge.  Her friends came by with their kids yesterday for a get together and had a little hunt for eggs and a walk in the snow, it's still snowing up in  northwestern ontario.  My kids will be staying at my moms tonight for Easter tomorrow cause I probably would have just put the eggs in a pile and told them that the Easter bunny had covid and couldn't hide them.  Hope everyone is staying strong.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, PLin said:

I still feel good about the taxes!!

Good for you!  It's always a relief to have that behind us for another year!  I don't remember the final tax return being difficult, so no worries.

• Like 1

• Members

@KayCCertainly sounds like you need a day of peace and solace. Hopefully you have sunny skies there like we're having here this morning. The light dusting of snow we got overnight has disappeared. 

Tom's daughter sent me a couple of pics of her two young boys (Tom's grandsons) with their chocolate Easter egg loot they found around the house so that gave me a smile. That would have caused a bit of excitement there this morning. Tom lived with them over these last few years after his divorce and they've been missing him terribly...and I certainly do this morning as well. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 4/15/2022 at 9:39 PM, DWS said:

That sounds like an achievement to be proud of....and hopefully it results in a good night's sleep for you! I'm certainly envious because I have yet to do mine. Tom was an independent accountant. This time of year was always his busiest couple of months and will forever now be a trigger for me every year. 

I never enjoy doing my tax form but this year, what I dread is re-visiting 2021 when everything was going just fine...other than coping with a pandemic, of course. All of the information that I'll be going through will have dates from each month which will remind me of what the two of us were doing at that time. All of them will be sweet and happy memories but things are still too raw to re-live them. It's going to be a real challenge.

I had a bit of sorrow when I did taxes today. Glad that's done with. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
19 hours ago, KayC said:

I'm exhausted from a hard week

Yes, you've certainly been thru a lot lately. Hope you take some time for yourself now. We aren't of much good without a rest. And stress eats up a body. It brings on inflammation and for someone like me, it's the kiss of death. With the kind of pain you experience, regular rest periods are crucial. Go on an escape with Kodie and recharge. 

• Like 3

• Members

Had a fairly nice day. Lots of BBQ and cake. Fran's grandkids were all dressed up real cute and squeeling over their Easter Baskets. I miss that. My Mom was still giving me and my brothers baskets all the way thru high school. Later on after she moved in with me, I surprised her with a big basket. Lots of chocolate of course and small gifts. Anyways, I ate pretty good today and only one fight broke out between Fran's sons. One has indeed been off drugs and behaves so much better but the other fell off the wagon and that's what they fought about. There's no escaping it, not even on Easter. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, tnd said:

I surprised her with a big basket.

We miss those interactions being alone all the time.

Good thing we didn't drive up to my son's, they weren't there, they were at his in-law's, so we weren't invited.  Talked to my daughter for an hour, tried to help her file her form for her divorce but website not working right, my friend (paralegal) is going to contact them today and try to do it herself.  OMG I hope she can!  Finally heard from my son for a few min. but interrupted too much to talk long, what you have with a busy family!  I was invited to my granddaughter's bdy party Memorial day, 10 days after needing to be there to babysit the kids.  

Kodie and I didn't see anyone yesterday, just had a peaceful quiet day, nothing special to eat except I did make Avocado Brownies, so good!  And the best part is they're totally healthy.

Kodie and I got in an extra walk and a break from the ever-present shoveling!  I would have gone to church had I known I wasn't going to Paul's and it wouldn't snow much.  My daughter is also exhausted and needed that break.

tnd, so glad you got your taxes done!  It always feels good to get that behind for another year.  I hope my daughter got hers done, forgot to ask.  I guess you never quit worrying about your kids...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 4/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, DWS said:

It's now past seven weeks since my partner Tom's sudden passing. The Easter holiday weekend will be the first big hurdle for me and many others here to get over. 

Easter and the early spring weather here in southwestern Ontario have always been a time of sweet joy. Nature is actively rebounding. Excitement and rejuvenation is in the air. My gardens are showing all of the new life. It's always my favourite time of year except this time around, I'm not able to join in on it with much ambition or smiles. 

During the short few years that we were together, Tom and I unintentionally developed an Easter tradition of giving each other a Lindt gold bunny. From there, it would be a contest to see who's bunny lasted the longest. I always won that contest by a mile and there'd be lots of laughs over it. So this year, I bought one to keep up the tradition. 

Easter greetings and warm hugs to all of us. How is everyone else coping during this time? 

Hi, I hope you managed to survive that "first holiday" OK. Mine was Thanksgiving years ago. It was rough. Of course I won't say they're ever easy, but they do get easier over time, and I think that first one is the hardest, generally speaking. 

• Like 4

• Members

@widower2Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I made it through okay. It helped that my brother-in-law's sister dropped by for coffee and a visit on Good Friday. She lost her husband five years ago and has been a good source of support for me throughout this the minute she heard about my loss. We hadn't been in contact much with each other over the years but she knows the pain, turmoil and isolation that comes with this and felt the need to come to my rescue. It also helps her more with her recovery.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

@DWS  I'm glad you had that visit with her!  It helps to have someone who understands..

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yes, exactly. That's a win/win for sure. Great that you have each other as you both "get it." That is huge!

• Like 2

• Members
15 hours ago, DWS said:

helped that my brother-in-law's sister dropped by for coffee and a visit on Good Friday. She lost her husband five years ago and has been a good source of support for me throughout this

That was very nice of her. I'd keep her on your Christmas card list. But seriously, hopefully she will continue to be there for you. 

• Like 1