Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Faith

Didi

• Members

Since Nicole died, both my husband & I continually struggle with having "faith" in a God that ignored our prayers and instead thought that her death was a better answer for her children & entire family.  We both grew up believing God was good, but am now readjusting my views. Anyone else struggling with this thing called "faith"?

• Like 1

• Members
Valerie Lockhart

Hello Didi,

I'm sorry for your loss. God is not to blame for our suffering. The Bible says: “When under trial, let no one say: ‘I am being tried by God.’ For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.” (James 1:13) Suffering can afflict anyone—even those who are favored by God. 

I've found that God allows suffering to continue at present for good reasons. Consider just one: It is often people who cause suffering to others. Many bullies and tyrants who inflict pain are unwilling to change their ways. So for God to remove a major cause of suffering, he will have to destroy such people.

Explaining why God has not yet destroyed those who do wrong, the apostle Peter wrote: “Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) Jehovah God’s patience is an expression of his loving and merciful personality.

Soon, though, Jehovah God will act. He will “repay tribulation to those who make tribulation” for the innocent. Those who inflict unjust suffering will “undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction.”—2 Thessalonians 1:6-9.

I've found comfort in the hope of the resurrection. I look forward to seeing my mother, father and grandparents awaken from sleep in death onto a paradise earth. A person who is resurrected is raised up from death and restored to life as the person he was before.—1 Corinthians 15:12, 13. God grants Jesus the power to raise the dead. (John 11:25) Jesus will restore “all those in the memorial tombs” to life, each one with his unique identity, personality, and memories. (John 5:28, 29) Those resurrected to heaven receive a spirit body, while those resurrected to life on earth receive a healthy physical body, completely sound.—Isaiah 33:24; 35:5, 6; 1 Corinthians 15:42-44, 50.

When I pray to God, I always ask Him to give me more faith, so that I will have no doubts about his promises coming true. After all, it's impossible for God to lie. - Hebrews 6:18.

May you find comfort in the hope of the resurrection. 

• Members

As I prepare to bury my 25 year old daughter today, I am right there with you - I feel like my faith is shattered.

I am clinging to His word, good family support, and the knowledge that God has never let me down, not once when I cried out for Him. So I must cling to Him now during the hardest times to help me through.

• Like 1

• Members

Didi, I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t believe God took your child. Satan is the ruler of this world and is constantly trying to hurt us, even unto death. My beautiful perfect 19 yr old son was killed in motorcycle accident on Halloween 2022. I was tempted to blame God for taking my son but then realized that’s not how God works. HE loves us and only wants good for us. Satan is the evil one who is always trying to “kill, steal, and destroy”. 

• Like 1

• Members

My faith was also in question when my daughter died December 10th 2022. 31 years old with 4 kids I ask God why but there is no answer. I still believe in a higher power and have faith but everyday is so hard as I'm sure it is for everyone who has lost a child or loved one 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

• Members
On 4/9/2022 at 5:03 PM, Didi said:

Since Nicole died, both my husband & I continually struggle with having "faith" in a God that ignored our prayers and instead thought that her death was a better answer for her children & entire family.  We both grew up believing God was good, but am now readjusting my views. Anyone else struggling with this thing called "faith"?

You’re not alone Didi me too I prayed for my child I prayed for a perfect one yet He took her at only 7 months old. I don’t know what to expect of Him n because I believed in Him I feel He punished me. I am yet to be able to pray again