Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How nature helps

DWS

• Members
2 hours ago, Laura Vence said:

Some days I think of selling all, moving far away, and starting entirely over. As if I could--. But I don't think that's the answer either. I guess I'll have to see...

Everything just feels so upended, doesn't it? As is someone took our special, cozy little creations of sane, comfortable living and just threw it on the floor. All of the pieces scattered and now it's up to us to gather it up slowly knowing that there's one huge piece missing and not replaceable. Do we keep gathering and eventually see what this new creation will be? Will there be any comfort there like what we once had? Or do we completely start somewhere else because the pieces that we gather hold too many memories? I know, for myself, I need those pieces that hold the reminders of what was...no matter how much they hurt. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 4/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, DWS said:

The birds are in high, lively voice again and I forgot how beautiful that sound is. I felt them calling to me that it's going to be alright and telling me that nature will help me heal. I gotta trust that. 

DWS:  I almost had that same exact experience the other day. My husband and I loved watching birds. Before selling our house and moving into an apartment, we fed birds in our backyard. Well, I was sitting here in my tiny room and looked up and what did I see? Two white-winged doves courting. Doves mate for life. It made me so happy to see birds, any kind of birds again. Nature does help. It made me feel good because I know that somewhere my husband is still watching birds, too. Makes for a great escape. Your garden sounds like the perfect getaway! The tears will still come but you will find things like your garden to help. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I've been hearing bird songs lately that I've never heard before!  Makes me wonder what kind of birds they are, it's really nice.

George and i always enjoyed watching the hummingbirds come feed, they're so beautiful and so quick!  We always had a feeder up.

• Hugs 1

• Members

There was a blue jay in my backyard yesterday. I hadn't seen one out there in quite a while but there it was sitting on its familiar tree branch close to where I'd spot it. Tom and I would marvel at their presence. Blue jays can be loud and brash...sometimes known as bullies to smaller birds...but they have magnificent beauty. Tom took up photography as a hobby so I have plenty of photos taken in the backyard. Those photos are like gold to me now.

Blue jay on fence.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Blue Jays are beautiful, but they have horrible voices, I have them on my place, so do the neighbors...makes me want to sneak over their and put bird food there so they'll make their abode over there!  :D  I've joked about it to them, they actually feed them and don't seem to mind the racket...I think their house is more soundproof than mine.  There's a tree right outside my house that they like...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 4/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, KayC said:

There's a tree right outside my house that they like...

I've often heard the same thing be said of Mockingbirds. Call me crazy but I kind of like their noise

On 4/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, DWS said:

There was a blue jay in my backyard

Beautiful picture you took. Thanks for sharing it! Made my day.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not a lot of "sunshine" in the winter, but I'm outside every day, taking Kodie to his playdate, I'm outside with them, and also on our walks.  Even though the weather is sometimes horrid, we still go. I, too, cannot be in direct sun for long because of a Rx I'm on, also because skin cancer runs in my family, I get melanomas easily although most of them are from when I was outside unprotected as a child.  That's when the damage was done and it shows up later in life.

• Hugs 2

• Members
11 hours ago, KayC said:

Not a lot of "sunshine" in the winter, but I'm outside every day, taking Kodie to his playd

Then Kodie is your sunshine You only need about 30 minutes in the sun. But getting outdoors, especially  on a regular basis is great! I'm glad you have Kodie to take for walks. Ha...guess you could say he's a working dog. I miss mine but know I can't have another one (expense and physical reasons). Speaking of therapy tho, my female cat is asking for my attention. She's so good at gently pawing me and quietly asking. Makes me feel good to pet and talk to her. And she talks Back! 

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, KayC said:

Not a lot of "sunshine" in the winter, but I'm outside every day, taking Kodie to his playdate, I'm outside with them, and also on our walks.  Even though the weather is sometimes horrid, we still go. I, too, cannot be in direct sun for long because of a Rx I'm on, also because skin cancer runs in my family, I get melanomas easily although most of them are from when I was outside unprotected as a child.  That's when the damage was done and it shows up later in life.

Kay maybe try to get outside but not in the direct sunlight could help? And stock up on Vitamin D.  :)  

• Like 2

• Members

Another rough day yesterday but I was entertained by a groundhog that is living under my shed. It's obviously the bugger that tossed out a lot of dirt from underneath the shed last fall...like it was digging a basement under there. I've had them before in the backyard but interestingly enough, I haven't seen one for a few years. I read that they live a loner life...mating in the spring but they don't pair up. Guess this will be my new companion for a while. Wonder if it snores. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators

How sad is this? I'm down to helping caterpillars. I seem to have more of them this year and more than once I saw one struggling going up against the wall where the driveway is or some such and relocated them to a tree where I thought they had a better chance for some food. I seem to be much more sensitive to the value of life - any life - since this loss. 

OK granted that doesn't include gnats or flies. Or asian beetles. But otherwise - 

• Like 4

• Members

Thanks to all for writing about your feelings on nature.  I too find great solace in nature, in my garden and in the outdoors in general.  I impatiently wait every year for spring so I can plant my flowers and garden, put out my bird feeders and spend as much time outdoors as possible.  I have a small home with a small garden/yard but it’s perfect for me without being too overwhelming.  I have two projects this summer to install a little free library my daughters gave me for my birthday and (cross my fingers) install a hybrid patio/sunroom.  It’s these small distractions that help me make it day to day.  I still can’t think too far ahead or plan too far into the future.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 4/13/2022 at 8:07 PM, widower2 said:

Kay maybe try to get outside but not in the direct sunlight could help? And stock up on Vitamin D.  :)  

I always do!  We walk at LEAST  1/2 hour twice a day!  We're above the fogline, so the air is usually clear, and beautiful, although sometimes pouring rain or snowing, icy up to half the year, but I'm used to it.  The only thing we don't walk in is lightening and that's more rare, wait a couple of hours and then go!

On 4/24/2022 at 7:49 AM, DWS said:

was entertained by a groundhog that is living under my shed.

I'll trade your groundhog for my raccoon!  He tore up the insulation above my storage where my water tank and pipes are, I can't get up there and raccoons are big and mean!  Been trying to get someone to take care of it but not having much luck.  Can't afford to hire someone to come up from the city.  These pesky critters can be a real nusance!  And I thought skunks were bad!  At least they don't begin to do the damage of that of a raccoon.

10 hours ago, widower2 said:

How sad is this? I'm down to helping caterpillars. I seem to have more of them this year and more than once I saw one struggling going up against the wall where the driveway is or some such and relocated them to a tree where I thought they had a better chance for some food. I seem to be much more sensitive to the value of life - any life - since this loss. 

OK granted that doesn't include gnats or flies. Or asian beetles. But otherwise - 

I don't know but you made me smile!  

12 minutes ago, SSC said:

I have two projects this summer to install a little free library my daughters gave me for my birthday and (cross my fingers) install a hybrid patio/sunroom.

Wow, I'm impressed!  You must still be young!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 4/24/2022 at 9:49 AM, DWS said:

Guess this will be my new companion for a while. Wonder if it snores. 

Well there ya go! This gives you a good reason to do some research and maybe get a book or go on an outing to the library. I think it would be fun to observe your new furry friend and learn about him. You're so lucky to have him right there where you can watch. I love watching wildlife. Heck, my husband and I use to watch lizards for fun out on our patio at night. Then it was the toads. Then it was raccoons. Then it was possums ...the list goes on. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, KayC said:

I always do!  We walk at LEAST  1/2 hour twice a day!  We're above the fogline, so the air is usually clear, and beautiful, although sometimes pouring rain or snowing, icy up to half the year, but I'm used to it.  The only thing we don't walk in is lightening and that's more rare, wait a couple of hours and then go!

You are SUCH a trooper...as opposed to those of us in the South, we are such weather weenies lol

• Haha 1

• Members

And I just read the whole thread after posting that and realised somebody else has also mentioned a free library! 

• Members
6 hours ago, HisPumpkin said:

decided I’m going to buy multiple copies of the book D illustrated, and write some messages on the inside cover, and leave them in these places, to share with the world some of his art, some of the beauty he created. 

What an excellent way to honor your loved one! Btw: there is a lot of nature to be found in the city. You have to slow down enough to see it but like you've discovered, it's there. Thanks goodness because I am too old and tired to move and be out in the country by myself. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, HisPumpkin said:

breathe, and watch the birds. Little gifts. 

I love this.  And for me, I learned to roar at cougars!  :D  Seriously, it helped!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Look at this little one that came out in the early evening to see how I was doing yesterday. I was watching a bit of TV in my den at the back of the house and saw it hopping around the backyard.  I  was so touched that it decided to perch on the garden stone just off the back deck so I slowly crept up to the patio door and took its glamour shot. It was about 20 feet away from the door. 

Hare on stone.jpg

• Like 1