Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Breathe

BBB

• Members

Have you ever thought about your loved one being gone and then all of a sudden it felt like you couldn't breathe? Some people call them panic attacks. I have to stop myself and think of something else otherwise I literally can't breathe.

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

I experienced great anxiety with my loss, I'd always had it but this took it to a whole new level.  It can feel like a heart attack, and very frightening.  I once had someone on the phone with me during the night to make sure I survived it so they could call 911 if not!  It was over two hours.  I finally researched anxiety meds and took a print out to my doctor and told him I wanted Buspirone/Buspar, low dose, not an SSRI, doesn't leave you feeling numb, you can still feel anxiety but more copeable, that was in 2008, nearly 3 1/2 years after George died.  I wish I'd done it sooner.  I will be on it for life, I have not had an anxiety attack since!  There have been sleepless nights where I can't shut my brain off in the middle of the night so I went on the lowest dose of Trazodone 50 mg just so I can sleep, it's so hard to get by without sleep.  I toughed it out for 14 years before doing so, I think I made it harder on myself by not doing it sooner!

Anxiety and Grief After Losing a Loved One
Coping with Anxiety in Grief
Anxiety Attacks in Grief: Tools for Coping

• Like 1

• Members

I am also on Trazodone, 100mg for now. I found it so hard to sleep after my husband passed and that prescription has helped. I realized I have a lot of anxiety and panic, especially when I am leaving the house. Yesterday I was given a prescription for anxiety, maybe you should talk to your doctor about that?

• Like 2

• Members

BBB, 

Yes, I experienced that a lot.  I have frequently posted that my friends and family had no idea how hard it was for me to just keep breathing. 

I still am amazed that I survived those episodes when my chest hurt so much and my breath was so shallow that I was getting no air.  I often thought I was going to die. 

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1