Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my grandpa and I'm halfway across the world

Mads456

• Members

Currently, I have been in the Netherlands for 4 nights and 5 days student teaching (I'm from the US). I just found out that my grandpa, whom I am very close to, passed away last night, and I have no ability to go back. I know he would want me to stay here anyways. This person was just so amazing and it's really hard knowing that I won't even be able to go to his Celebration of Life. I have only ever lost my pets before, which was heartbreaking enough. How do I deal with this while not being there for my family? It's such a loss on us all. I will have to suffer through drinking a pint of beer in his honor, which shows everyone how much I love this person. I don't understand. I haven't even settled in here yet and now I have had this major loss. Plus, I cannot access my psychologist as she is not able to provide me mental health care unless I am in my home state. (I have generalized anxiety disorder). This is just hard. And I am just exhausted. If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Mads,

I am so sorry for your loss. Our deepest sympathies and condolences. I am not sure if you someone at the service could FaceTime with you or record part of the service to send.to you. It's so hard to be far away when losing such a beloved family member.

Keep taking it moment by moment. Be kind and gentle to yourself. And please don't be afraid to reach out for support and help if you need it. These websites gave me lots of support.

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Healing  Blog

Grief Share