Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief and Depression hits me hard

MarcHannah18

• Moderators

I'm sorry people say that to you, it's highly inappropriate.  No matter their good intentions, the truth is they're trying to make THEMSELVES feel better, no one is comfortable with grief, so they try to shut it down, make everything back to normal, but it will never be as it was, they don't get that.  Your feelings are 1,000% valid!  They would feel as you if they went through it, and in short order.  It's been nearly 17 years since I lost my George, I have never stopped loving and missing him, not one day has gone by but what he's in my heart and on my mind.  Our connection was so strong.  It's hard for me to conceive how I could have gone this long without getting to talk with him, be held by him!  Our love carries me still.  Our connection, communication, relating to each other, understanding each other, love...it was so strong, like none I've ever seen or experienced.  Time does not matter, whether a week or many years, we feel as we do.

It crushed me in the early years, but I have learned how to cope with these changes, it took me years.  Years to process my grief, years more yet to realize purpose, more years yet to build a life I could live...then Covid came along and knocked it down, but I will rebuild as I once did, although it may not look the same.  I'm getting older, more solitary.  
I go on the same way I have the last 17 years...one day at a time.  Looking for some good in each day.  Some days it's a stretch, but still I look.  When I find anything good, no matter how minute, I embrace it and fully appreciate it for what it is.  I do not compare it to what was, for that devalues and diminishes it.  I live in this present moment and have learned the spirit of gratitude and appreciation....it is not a state to be attained but rather a focus, a way of living.  It takes effort on my part.  I started practicing this on day 11, so it can be done.  It didn't come to me all at once, but evolved little by little.  George was my big joy...now I look for the little joys.  My puppy, a cup of my good coffee, a walk in the woods, a neighbor's kindness, that I have health today...a stranger smiling at me...

• Like 3

• Moderators

This seems a common thread for so many of us, feeling alone.  My kids are grown, have their own lives now, my parents are gone, and I've started losing my siblings, older ones not in the best of health, I can read the handwriting on the wall.  I am truly alone.  Most have their partner still, mine's been gone since 2005, what do I do when I'm 80 and still shoveling snow, hauling firewood, no one to talk to?  Kids don't live nearby, I don't want to live in the city, this is where I've been for 45 years, this place with it's many memories, beauty, and great neighbors/community.  I reckon I'll still be getting up in the wee hours, talking to all of you!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

I find that I look to my late wifes way of thinking.  Enjoy every second cause you never know what the next one will be like.  It is very hard to get though each day and it seems like life isn't worth living.  This grief is unrelenting and difficult to endure but finding small things to smile or even laugh about does help.  Think about only today, only mins or hours ahead because it gets overwhelming even thinking about tomorrow.  Feel the sun on your face or the energy you get from nature.  If you can find somewhere to go that you enjoy.  The waves of grief will come and go so do what you can to keep going. In my experience I do find comfort having others around to talk about normal things and other days I want nothing to do with anyone at all.  It will be what you want and just try to keep fighting cause the intense feeling will become less and less which does in turn make you upset that you shouldn't be happy but the people we lost only want us to be happy cause their intentions didn't change after they passed.  My friend sent me a message telling me that my wife came through during a visit to a medium and she wants me to stop being so stubborn and to ask for help and enjoy life again.  I hope you find joy again whenever you are ready.  I hope others have more inspirational comments and can post more positive words of wisdom.  Grief is terrible to us all but one day it's grip will lessen and a smile will grow and let us enjoy our lives with our loved ones standing right beside us.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 3/3/2022 at 5:04 AM, KMkm said:

she wants me to stop being so stubborn and to ask for help and enjoy life again.

That definitely sounds like a wife message! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1