Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The Coffee Shop

SSC

• Moderators

I so get it, my little Kodie is everything to me now too.  Arlie was, but he passed, so did 25 year old Kitty.  It seems life is loss at this time of life, only for me it started early.  Most still have their husbands at this age.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• SSC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

You guys have me hooked. ;)  Anyone know why it says winning streak 20 when I've won all 21?  Not sure how they figure it...

wordle score.JPG

• Haha 1

• Moderators

That happened to me too. I think maybe I skipped a day or started one and didn't finish it, maybe that's it? 

• Like 1

• Members

Just a check in, to say hello and see how everyone else is doing. I've been suffering from allergies, 3 weeks of not doing well. I've been on antibiotics, steroids, and inhalers. It makes it hard to work in the garden, one of the things that had been helping with my sanity. I'm even having trouble walking my dog since I can't breathe well. And its not my best time of year, just passed year 2.

So I'm hoping you folks are doing well.

• Like 1

• Members
On 4/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, KayC said:

You guys have me hooked.

Indeed, it is quick and fun.  Confession:  I can be impatient and did not get two out of 18 so far.  In my defense, the first one I missed was before I realized that letters could be used more than once.

I found a Wordle archive, but the NYT forced it and others to shut down.  Bummer.  I did find one that hasn't yet been shut down, but I'm not going to list it here because that would tempt fate.  As with most word and brain games, the more I play it, the easier it is to "see" the answer.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, CatL said:

I've been suffering from allergies

I'm sorry, I suffer from them too, sometimes I have to wear a mask to keep the pollen out when outside, then I feel I can't breathe, it's not a win!  It can be very miserable and this year is bad.  I like when the rain clears the air some.

9 hours ago, foreverhis said:

did find one that hasn't yet been shut down, but I'm not going to list it here because that would tempt fate.

Msg me!

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

Msg me!

Will do, Kay. Anyone else want the link? It’s not as easy to choose a specific puzzle or to navigate as the open source Wordle Archive that Devang Thakkar programmed, but it functions in basically the same way.

Effing NYT doesn’t seem to understand that allowing those archives to remain open is more likely to get people hooked, especially those who want something quick. There’s talk of the NYT putting the daily Wordle behind a pay wall like they’ve done with other word games and brain teasers. I refuse to pay that publication a dime for multiple reasons, so I hope not.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Today's was my hardest Wordle yet, even tried hints on my 5th try...it said no words fit, suddenly it popped into my head!  Voila!

• Like 2

• Members

Kay,

Today's wordle defeated me.  Broke my 54 game winning streak.  I have only lost twice, so I don't feel too bad.  Start fresh tomorrow.

Gail

• Sad 1

• Members

This is just a self-pity post about how it sucks to be alone. 

For the past 2 weeks I have had terrible sciatic nerve pain in my right leg.  It hurts to stand, walk, lie down, or sit. I have been using ice packs and heating pads, taking Advil, Tylenol, and random pain pills in my medicine cabinet. I've tried sleeping in chairs, on the floor, with pillows piled in every configuration I can think of. Nothing allows me to sleep. I've watched dozens of YouTube videos on exercises and stretches to relieve sciatic pain. I finally went to the doctor today and got some prescriptions and a referral to physical therapy.  I am hoping I will sleep tonight.

I am sure I will get through this.  But it is just miserable to be in pain and be alone (as I am sure most, if not all, of you know first hand).  

John would have been such a help to me if he were here. Every painful hobbling step to the refrigerator to get a fresh ice pack, brought home how much I need him, miss him, how much harder my life will always be without him.

Just wallowing in a pity party here. Looking forward to not being in pain. 

Stay well.

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
On 4/18/2022 at 1:34 PM, foreverhis said:

Will do, Kay. Anyone else want the link? It’s not as easy to choose a specific puzzle or to navigate as the open source Wordle Archive that Devang Thakkar programmed, but it functions in basically the same way.

Effing NYT doesn’t seem to understand that allowing those archives to remain open is more likely to get people hooked, especially those who want something quick. There’s talk of the NYT putting the daily Wordle behind a pay wall like they’ve done with other word games and brain teasers. I refuse to pay that publication a dime for multiple reasons, so I hope not.

Amen to that. There are other Wordle sites out there though, so if they get stupid about it, I'll shift to that. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Today's was my hardest Wordle yet, even tried hints on my 5th try...it said no words fit, suddenly it popped into my head!  Voila!

I got it in five too. That was one of those "but so many words" fit deals, I hate those...

1 hour ago, Gail 8588 said:

Kay,

Today's wordle defeated me.  Broke my 54 game winning streak.  I have only lost twice, so I don't feel too bad.  Start fresh tomorrow.

Gail

arghh sorry to hear Gail. My streak was snapped the other week. But it gave me something to shoot for now :)  

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is just a self-pity post about how it sucks to be alone. 

For the past 2 weeks I have had terrible sciatic nerve pain in my right leg.  It hurts to stand, walk, lie down, or sit. I have been using ice packs and heating pads, taking Advil, Tylenol, and random pain pills in my medicine cabinet. I've tried sleeping in chairs, on the floor, with pillows piled in every configuration I can think of. Nothing allows me to sleep. I've watched dozens of YouTube videos on exercises and stretches to relieve sciatic pain. I finally went to the doctor today and got some prescriptions and a referral to physical therapy.  I am hoping I will sleep tonight.

I am sure I will get through this.  But it is just miserable to be in pain and be alone (as I am sure most, if not all, of you know first hand).  

John would have been such a help to me if he were here. Every painful hobbling step to the refrigerator to get a fresh ice pack, brought home how much I need him, miss him, how much harder my life will always be without him.

Stay well.

Gail

Sorry to hear this Gail, about both the physical and emotional pain...both which I can relate to, I have a problem child sciatic nerve too. Knock on wood it's been behaving lately but I know that pain all too well. And it's nuts how I'm fine outside working in the yard mowing etc or whatever and then just bending or stooping a certain way can set it off...I try to be careful but I need to go about my day. And yeah wow that pain...the initial pain is the sharpest but I think I hate the lingering one more, precisely because it lingers. It's like #@% just GO AWAY already. Hope the new meds help! The problem is the medical profession is so skittish and hesitant to prescribe any pain meds these days (my impression at least)...I get being cautious but cmon...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Widower2,

This is my first experience with sciatica. After about 10 days dealing with it, the other side of my back developed a bad pain too. The doctor said that side is a sacroiliac problem, probably caused by my trying to compensate for the sciatica pain in my right leg.  

Hopefully I'll be on the mend soon. 

Sometimes things are so pathetic you just have to laugh.  This past weekend I had to drive myself from Ocala to Tallahassee. I stopped in a rest area to use the facilities. After slowly, painfully hobbling in, I found I was unable to get up off the toilet.  I was stuck for about 15 minutes before I was able to extricate myself. In spite of the pain, I found myself laughing all the way back to my car.

Next time I'll take my phone with me for sure!

Gail

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Members

Sometime we need a pity party. That's okay. We're still here for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members
41 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

I was stuck for about 15 minutes before I was able to extricate myself. In spite of the pain, I found myself laughing all the way back to my car.

You did good. I would've panicked and ended up on the ten o'clock news. 

• Like 2

• Members
5 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Kay,

Gail

Now I have to chuckle.  For some reason, I saw it in my head on the third try. 

I have to say that 54 is a mighty fine winning streak!  You'll start fresh and beat that, I'm sure.

4 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

It sure is hard to be in pain and have medical problems alone.  Because of my auto-immune conditions, I deal with a certain amount of pain every day.  I had gotten used to that before John died, but he was so good at helping when I asked or he could see I needed it, even if it was just to bring me a cup of tea.  It's when I injure myself, need a medical procedure, or just do something that makes my conditions flare that I miss his comforting care the most. 

I hope the medications and PT help.  I can't imagine how horrible it was for you being stuck for 15 minutes like that.  I'll be sending prayers your way for sure.((HUGS))

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Kay,

Gail

I got it on the last try, I thought it would break mine too.  Not a common word to use unless you're thinking church...

14 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

or the past 2 weeks I have had terrible sciatic nerve pain in my right leg.  It hurts to stand, walk, lie down, or sit. I have been using ice packs and heating pads, taking Advil, Tylenol, and random pain pills in my medicine cabinet. I've tried sleeping in chairs, on the floor, with pillows piled in every configuration I can think of. Nothing allows me to sleep. I've watched dozens of YouTube videos on exercises and stretches to relieve sciatic pain. I finally went to the doctor today and got some prescriptions and a referral to physical therapy.  I am hoping I will sleep tonight.

OMG, I am so sorry!  It's the pits when we live alone to get this kind of debilitating pain and no one to drive us or help with anything!  I hope the Rxs and therapy does the trick for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
On 4/20/2022 at 3:44 AM, Gail 8588 said:

how it sucks to be alone. 

Gail ...it's a nightmare be alone without our loved ones.

But when you are sick is a thing that scream vengeance at the sky!

My Giorgio was so tender and supportive  that i wanted him with me in the operating room when i had a little surgery years ago.

The woman surgeon understand my wish without a words from me...so intense it was !

It's heroic stuff be sick and alone!

Hope you're doing better now...hugs Ro'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Yes, I'm in the Cascades but only halfway as high as the pass (2,500 ft instead of 5,000).  They're still predicting snow for Wed. although just a skiff here, I can't believe so late in the season!

I love the Oregon Coast!  My sisters and I used to have sisters' reunions in Lincoln City, we'd also go to Depot Bay, fun to watch the whale watching and visit the quaint little shops, plus the Sea Hag is a good restaurant to visit!  And Newport, down on the wharf, visit Mo's for some Clam Chowder, also the museum and undersea gardens, so much on the coast!

• Like 3

• Members

Thx for the recommendations @KayC   Next time I go I will check out the Sea Hag!  We did go to Depoe Bay but didn’t see the whales so we went on to Newport and went to the lighthouse.  It still isn’t open but I’ve been inside before with my husband…it brought back fond memories regardless.  The visitor’s center is so well done and while we were there several professional nature photographers were busy shooting the peregrine falcons that were  nesting in the cliffs right in the parking lot.  The Ranger in the visitor’s center was kind enough to let us look thru her binoculars and have a peek at them.  That is one of the things I love about the beach/coast is the beautiful wild life.  The place where I  have always stayed is a little hotel in the Taft area right across from Mo’s.  It’s right on the beach, dog friendly, within walking distance to a small grocery store and the scenery spectacular!  The prices are reasonable too.    Every morning I would take a walk to the dock next to Mo’s to watch the seals in the estuary and then go beachcombing.  So peaceful.  I didn’t care if it was raining or not.  I could always warm up with a cup of chowder from Mo’s later!

• Moderators

MIxed day for me. Called my mother who was grateful for the flowers I sent, but my best friend's mom, who is like a second mother to me, has Alzheimers and is not doing well, very hard to hear about her in hospice. 

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

I am sorry, very hard indeed.  While I'm missing Peggy, and it was a huge shock, I'm happy for her she got to stay in her home and not reach the worst of dementia like my mom did.  She was lucky indeed.

• Like 1