Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost My Best Friend of 42 Years Two Days Ago

Sparkyandrusty

• Members
Sparkyandrusty

I lost my best friend of 42 years two days ago, it was a sudden death and totally unexpected. He was found dead on the bed when I went to wake him up. He usually sends me a chat every morning about 7 to see if I am ok. His body was frozen, he has been taken to do an autopsy to find out the reason of his death. I am completely heart broken and in great pain. We practically do things together for 42 years. We have made lots of trips with his dogs and my cats. Of course we argue at times, but the good times outweigh the bad times, no doubt about that. I have a friend who live with us but he works daily. My deceased friend and I own a business together and we both work at home. So basically I am very isolated in the day time. He has 3 dogs and I have been with them after he was gone. I know they missed him because they kept looking out the window and door to see when is he coming back. They have stayed in his bedroom for the last 2 days and rarely come out. I hate to leave them alone. I tried my best to comfort them, at the same time, tell myself I need to be strong for my deceased friend and his dogs. But it's so hard to do and I am really in big pain. I have done some research for therapy, but haven't decided if I should or not.

I am completely at a loss.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Sparkyandrusty,

Our deepest sympathies and condolences. I am so sorry for your devastating loss. It's horribly shocking when you've lived and worked together and been best friends for 42 years. I want so much for you to get additional supports during this very sad and difficult time. I hope trusted friends and family members ae coming by to check on you and the dogs and cats. Please don't be afraid to reach out and consider grief counselling and connecting with additional grief supports in the community or through church.

Please know we are with you. x 

• Members
Sparkyandrusty

Just a little update. As of now, I am living day by day,  sometimes it's alright sometimes it's painful.  I spent part of the time in my place which is on the same property,  a ranch, and part of the time in his room taking care of his 2 dogs, the other one usually stays outside. I just hate to leave them alone as they were with my friend 24 hours a day. My another friend works in the day time and he'll be with them at night. I just need to decide when will I be able to leave them in the house by themselves all day so I can leave to go some place else. I understand grief is a long process and I am trying to stay strong,  but it's so hard to do.

• Members

Thank you for coming back and letting us know how things are going. 

I know it's terribly hard dealing with grief. It's so good of you to look after the dogs

Keep taking it moment by moment. We are here with you. x