Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief before death

gruvingal

• Members

My husband is dying from cirrhosis due to Hep C.  With Covid we rarely go out, myself more than he does.  I have had depression since I can remember and was diagnosed with bi-polar, PTSD, anxiety disorder.  I used to go out and about to get out of the house and I felt better.  Now I am stuck here most of the time and he talks about his pain and symptoms all of the time!  It is driving me nuts!!! 

• Hugs 1

• Members

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.

It's stressful at times when your spouse is terminally ill. They will have their bad days and perhaps some good days thrown in.

Getting out of the house is a good way to feel better - fresh air, sunshine, and a change of scenery can help. I understand some don't leave home often in these days in times when their spouse or family member at home is terminally ill. Is there a way, though, that perhaps you could even sit outside and read a book or stick nearby? Other times, I know people need to stay nearby because they are the caregiver. If this is the case, sometimes there are services out there that give caregivers a break because it is a difficult job.

Many terminal illnesses can cause pain and other symptoms. Is there anything that helps him with that at this time? Does he feel like there's anything that would help whether it be a supplement, vitamin, music, distracting his mind with a different activity? Ask him if there's anything that he feels is useful.

I hope that he'll find something that helps lessen his pain and that you'll be able to get a much needed trip outside sometime soon.

• Like 2

• Members

Thank You for your post.  My husband is already on Morphine and takes several vitamins.  There is really not a whole lot more they can do.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear gruvingal,

I'm sorry to hear what you are dealing with. I know it's very isolating caring for an ill husband.

Is there a social worker, friend or family member that can off you more support?

I also found this website very helpful. Aging Care.

Please know you are not alone. Thinking of you.

• Like 1

• Members
On 2/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, gruvingal said:

Thank You for your post.  My husband is already on Morphine and takes several vitamins.  There is really not a whole lot more they can do.

As a dying person who has been sick a long time, I will tell you this. All his blabbing on about his pain and ailments is him telling you all of the world that he feels he is left with. Getting a dr to have a hard look at his quality of life in all meanings of life may improve things. Maybe things have gotten stagnant and if you still love him, perhaps it's time for some changes maybe even couple therapy. Do something special and tell him why. I don't know. You are lucky to have each other and not be alone.