Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Someone who still needs their dad

Whoever i can be

• Members
Whoever i can be

I am currently fighting the battle between honoring legacy and not letting all he worked hard to instill / give to me go to waste by self destructing vs honoring my own mental health in realizing that I am living in a nightmare. I am currently in my exam period in medical school second year and I would normally draw strength from those midweek conversations with him saying I can do it. Always and forever a daddy’s girl 

• Members
13 hours ago, Whoever i can be said:

I would normally draw strength from those midweek conversations with him saying I can do it.

My mom is no longer with me, but I can imagine and know what she would say in any given situation. When I’m going through a tough time, I imagine the words of encouragement she would give me and it does help. I feel like it’s a gift she left me with. In regards to keep going/powering through vs taking the time to grieve, I think both are important. There were days when I was completely overwhelmed and felt as though I couldn’t keep up with my responsibilities AND grieve at the same time. As I had to keep going and had responsibilities that wouldn’t allow for me to grieve “full time”, I decided to allow myself a certain amount of time each day or two to sit down and allow myself to feel it and think about it fully. In this way, I felt I was reconognizing my grief and loss, but also allowing me to continue getting through each day to the best of my ability. I think if it weren’t for my obligations and commitments to others, I wouldn’t have survived it. It gave me a purpose to go on because I know that’s what my mom and dad would want me to do. I’m so sorry for what you’re going through and I can imagine how hard it must be to study and concentrate during this time. All I can suggest is to allow yourself some time each day to honor yourself/your feelings (even if it’s just 15 minutes). Best of luck, take care.

• Like 1