Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My father passed away last week

SeraphSinger

• Members

Hi everyone,

My father passed away in his bedroom of my house 11/26/2021. He was 72 years old. I'm 34. I have 2 other brothers who are older. He was divorced from my mother. He had emphysema, COPD among other health problems It was extremely unexpected under the circumstance.

I said good bye to dad one last time.
I didn't have him in my lifetime much while I was growing up but spent the last 8 years living with me. One thing for sure was that he was always proud of us, his sons and grandchildren even to the day he died.
He was always adamant in what he believed in, no nonsense. loud and stubborn as hell. He lived for the simple things and without a doubt, always with love.
The last memory of him was earlier in the day. I was checking up on him before we left for black Friday shopping. He talked about how great he felt. He was happy that he could fall asleep sitting up and that he could sleep better. He was full of spirit. I didn't know that it was going to be the last time I say good bye.

When we left for black friday, we were out until 4:30. I usually check with him but decided to half-ass it because I saw that all of his lights were off. His TV was on screensaver, and I assume he was just taking a nap. It was a regular day. I went on doing Christmas light for the next two hours. I was halfway finished and I was leaving the garage next to where his door was. I looked in his room and thought it was strange that I didn't see him on his bed or his chair. I walked around the house and didn't see him in the kitchen (that usually where he goes). He wasn't in the bathroom. I panicked. Went back in his room and found him on the floor on his side. He looked peaceful and asleep. The moments flew fast. 911, CPR, police arrive, ambulance arrive, they took him away and I went to the hospital knowing he was gone.

I'm ok today.. but this week I've been processing. Random spurts of crying, moping, didn't exercise, barely slept and eat.

Today I'm going to a concert and I feel like reaching out to folks.. for friendship.

I love you dad.

15672665_10154277787629072_3270930058147517000_n.jpg

• Members

So sorry to hear this. That must have been so hard. I lost my dad two years ago when I was 35 and he was only 63. It wasn't as sudden, but it was still really fast (brain cancer) and I've just felt so lost for this whole time. So I'm here if you want to talk. Doesn't feel like we should have lost a parent just in our 30s, right? We are still kids!