Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A lonesome Thanksgiving

seaofgreen

• Members

This is a lonesome Thanksgiving. My mom unexpectedly passed away in July, the day before the 4 year anniversary of my father passing away. I am the youngest of 6 yet I am only close to one of my siblings. I am feeling alone in my journey of my new reality of my parents being gone. I know that I am technically not but I can’t let go due to only being connected to one sibling and I am single at 26. Thanksgiving used to be such a big get together, but now it’s just my sister, her family and I. I am so grateful to have her and them but at the same time I can’t help be sad. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have sound advice? I’m lost. 

• Members

I wish I could help but right now I'm only able to dread any invitation from family or friends.  I lost Mom on 7/17.  Last Thanksgiving the ICU doctor called saying everything was shutting down and now Mom's gut had shut down and she had only days if not hours left.  This will be forever linked to the holiday for me.  We hadn't been able to attend family Thanksgiving since at least 2017 because Mom had great difficulty traveling from crippling arthritis, and we didn't see family much if at all anymore since they never came to visit.  Some relatives who might be there had an issue with our missing the holiday gatherings, which is another reason I don't want to go.  For the church friends, I deeply fear the return home alone to the empty house after spending hours with someone else's big happy family.  Mom was my whole life - no wife, partner, children, no siblings or close relatives, and never left home.  We were inseparable for 60 years and had only each other since Dad passed in 2000   I suppose if I had a close sister as you do that I would have to at least consider it, but it wouldn't be easy,  Best wishes to you and your family at this terribly difficult time.