Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I suddenly lost my dad when pregnant with his first grandchild

Djkenworthy

• Members

I’m 33 and just lost my dad suddenly and unexpectedly. I am pregnant with my first child and my dad’s first grandchild. While i have wanted kids i really wanted my dad to have grandkids. He stayed home and raised me and my brother and i wanted my kids to have the same childhood experience with their granddad that i had with my dad. Now they will never get that. My husband’s parents are lovely and great, but they are just not my dad. I do not want my dad to just be someone my kids know through stories while they get to have a relationship with their other grandparents. I do not know what to do.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Djkenworthy,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hear you and I had the same thoughts and feelings and wanted so much for my dad to be here to see his newest grandchild and to see the others grow up. It's really hard. It's been 5 years and I still wish my dad was here. We try to keep my dad's memory alive. I know it's not the same but your child will know your dad through you. (((hugs)))

• Members

Thank you. And i am sorry for your loss. I know i will keep his memory alive and raise my child how he raised me, but it hurts so much that he is not here. He would have been the best grandfather.