Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My cat passed, despite being treated….

amydee

• Members

2 months ago from today I lost my best furry friend of 10 years. His name was Tommy

Before his death, he wasn’t himself, all he did was lie down and not eat. I called our on the move vet to check up on him and he diagnosed him with a fever. He gave him an injection and prescribed the cat antibiotic pills and I start “the next day” but since I was going to travel at that time, I gave an antibiotic the night of the same day and he started puking and drooling. Since then he hasn’t gotten better.  He didn’t eat nor drink

The hardest thing was my family had to go on a trip soon. We dropped him off at grandma’s house. My gran spared my feelings and said Tommy was fine but 6 days later, when we came back from the trip. My mum announced Tommy passed away. It was the hardest day of my life. My grandma said he had hypothermia and his state didn’t progress while I was away…

Right now, I can’t help but look back and wished I had followed the vet’s instructions… or go to vet clinic to find another solution… or  Maybe it was just old age because he reached seniorhood… I just miss Tommy … I wish we had more time together on this earth…

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have a strong feeling I've read this post before but can't find it...so if it sounds like I'm repeating myself, perhaps that is the case.  Exact same scenario.

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat, Tommy.  I believe wholeheartedly we will be with them again.

15 hours ago, amydee said:

Right now, I can’t help but look back and wished I had followed the vet’s instructions… or go to vet clinic to find another solution…

In our early grief we often go through the "what ifs" in a way to find a different possible outcome because the one that happened is too unfathomable to grasp.  But this is the only reality that happened, and you're very right, it could have been old age.  

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers
I hope this brings you some thoughts of comfort and peace...

• Members

Yes you have seen my first post :D I just wanted to let out the guilt I feel about Tommy’s death. However in a rescue league group I’m in, there’s a woman who had a similar situation as me. Same result and all… (despite following everything the vet said….) so maybe this is a sign that I would’ve end up at a dead end… life’s mystery…

• Like 1