Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss my sister 2 years ago - cancer- feeling intense anxiety now

SandyLoo

• Members

I loss my sister to a rare form of cancer almost 2 years ago and I am struggling, I’m wondering if anyone has felt the grief of watching a sick sibling for 3 years come back intensely. I felt like I was in a place of grieving that would allow me to function normally but with occasionally times of sadness, anger, anxiety etc,

but recently (after 2 years), my anxiety, sadness, roller coaster of emotions has increased and I just miss her so much. I feel alone without her but also have a wonderful supportive family who keeps me going. Would love to know if anyone has experienced this?

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Sandy,

We all experience grief differently and I think there are so many emotional ups and downs. And they are all normal and natural. I know for myself I felt raw for two years after my dad passed. I thought I was feeling better and then I have another raw day. 

Glad you have family support.  For myself I found I also needed a counsellor and grief support group and finding online forums. 

Please know you are not alone.

• Members
On 9/1/2021 at 1:56 PM, SandyLoo said:

I loss my sister to a rare form of cancer almost 2 years ago and I am struggling, I’m wondering if anyone has felt the grief of watching a sick sibling for 3 years come back intensely. I felt like I was in a place of grieving that would allow me to function normally but with occasionally times of sadness, anger, anxiety etc,

but recently (after 2 years), my anxiety, sadness, roller coaster of emotions has increased and I just miss her so much. I feel alone without her but also have a wonderful supportive family who keeps me going. Would love to know if anyone has experienced this?

Dear @SandyLoo, I am new to the forum. I am very sorry about your loss, because I have experienced a similar thing: My 18 year old sister died from a rare type of cancer after 2 and a half years of treatment. She had a liver tumor, it was very aggressive and there's nothing anybody could do. She was diagnosed in 2019, the first round of treatment and the surgery went well, bur her illness came back with a vengeance a few months after the last round of chemo in 2020. Ever since I spiralled down into anticipated grief, understanding that the end is imminent. I developed a somatization disorder and health anxiety which I still battle today.

I am glad to hear that your family is supportive. I have a really great husband who is there for me, but all of my family lives abroad. There's therapy, some friends and great colleagues, but it gets pretty lonely at times. Hence, the registration on this forum :) 

Do you believe that there is hope and that you will be able to process all that has happened to your sister one day?