Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost My Best Friend

OldTrojan

• Members

I hope that Kodie is OK.  Hopefully worst case scenario is that a vet visit will be delayed a bit for weather and weekend.  There is no vet here and there are no good scenarios as a result.  I’ve thought for a while that Marcus has a penis infection, but nothing can be done about it, or anything else.  With the covid lockdown, we can not get visiting vets as we had two years ago, although they are otherwise willing to come.

When I checked on Miss Kitty about 6AM, there was another cat out there.  He’s one that I know, as he’s been around for a while and drove our dogs crazy.  He ran away when he saw me.  One thing that I do not want to deal with is kittens, but, again, no vet here.

We’re still getting used to each other.   Cats have odd idiosyncrasies. When I make lunch and dinner I leave the door open and she comes in to the kitchen to watch.  She’s usually rubbing around my ankles looking for attention.  I have a sitting area at the back of the apartment looking out at the lagoon, and when I go out back to eat she follows and hangs out with me, grooms and naps.  I let her in a few times a day in addition, to break up boredom for her a bit.  With Bear I left the door open for him most of the day, as I doubted that anyone would come in past a dog, but I don’t think that Miss Kitty is going to scare anyone.

My damaged body can not take cold (or  even cool) weather, which is the primary reason that I have spent so much time here.  My joints were even stiff a couple of months a year when I lived in Honolulu.  I don’t envy people having to endure winters.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• John9

• OldTrojan

• Gary55

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 minute ago, KayC said:

I've picked up so many large branches in the yard today, every time I go outside there's more (I have a lot of trees), the drought this summer didn't help them any so I think they're just ripe for breaking, sure seems it.

KayC,

Funny that you say drought, here in my area of Michigan all summer the weather people said we were in a drought. However whenever I cut the grass in the back area it was always very wet and for the last 6 weeks or so it has been standing water and now it's flooded everywhere. They will still probably say that the ground is too dry. I hope that Kodie is okay and I am sorry you won't make the ballet and hopefully the Dental appointment is not serious if you can't make it either.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Drought doesn't mean the grass doesn't get wet, it's that there's not enough moisture reaching the tree roots, some of them go down quite a ways.  Here you see brown branches on the trees because of the excessive heat we had last summer and not enough rain.  We never have rain in the summer but they say our annual rainfall isn't as high as usual.

Yeah, weird how they can say drought and flooding in the same sentence. ;)

13 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

With Bear I left the door open for him most of the day, as I doubted that anyone would come in past a dog, but I don’t think that Miss Kitty is going to scare anyone.

Haha, although Kitty could make a lot of noise and scratch like heck!  :D  I'd have been more afraid of her than Arlie, but Arlie was a gentle giant...he sure had the UPS man and workmen fooled though!  NO ONE would go past him!  I sure miss him.

• Hugs 1

• Members

We are just entering dry season.  All of our water comes from rain, so dry season from late Dec to late March is a problem.  Municipal water is usually on 3-4 days per week when we get normal rain.  When we get dry, water may be on only twice a week – but just for an hour per day.  Personal home catchments get very low with little rain and we have to have tight water conservation.

Had some trauma this morning.  I do lengthy physical therapy first thing in the mornings, starting at 4.  At 5 I take a break and check on Miss Kitty (as I did with Bear).  She received her morning back scratch.  At 6 I took another break, and saw the big grey cat again that Kitty was with when I first saw her.  I don’t know if they are friends, or mates.  I went downstairs to chase him away, and he and Kitty were both gone.  I thought that instinctive urges may have lured her away.  At 7, when I do my morning Bear walk I also feed her, and she was back.  I was happy to see her.

The daily trauma with the old momma dog is tough for me.  Dogs have expressions and the hurt in her brown eyes when I have to repeatedly push her back to the store to keep her from following me home saddens me.  Head down, tail down.  The old girl deserves some affection finally in her long life.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
57 minutes ago, OldTrojan said:

The daily trauma with the old momma dog is tough for me.  Dogs have expressions and the hurt in her brown eyes when I have to repeatedly push her back to the store to keep her from following me home saddens me.  Head down, tail down.  The old girl deserves some affection finally in her long life.

OldTrojan,

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time over momma dog, I understand how much it hurts your "heart" but you have to do what you feel is the best. I know she probably does deserve the affection of someone who cares for her in her old age. Sadly your situation doesn't allow you to do what you "want" to do. It would be great if all of the animals in your area got treated the way you treated Bear and are treating Miss Kitty and even momma dog with some affection and such. You are doing what you can and it is all you can do. Take care, John

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

This is how I feel when I see Joe looking longingly, dejectedly, through the gate.  There is a reason he bites, there is a reason he hurts, I wish the owners would take him to the vet.  Irony:  she was a dog trainer before she had kids.  She wants me to let Kodie play with her German Shepherd high energy pup...she's friendly but four times his size and could very easily hurt him without meaning to.  It's her dogs that attacked Kodie and bit/yanked on me.

I agree with John, sometimes we have to do what is best overall, even though it hurts like hades.:wub:  It's how I felt having to miss my granddaughter's Nutcracker ballet performance this weekend.  I had to decide on the side of safety but oh it hurts seeing the pictures and I couldn't be there.  There are no do-overs, and I realize that.  My parents and grandparents never came to anything I was in.

• Hugs 1

• Members
22 minutes ago, KayC said:

My parents and grandparents never came to anything I was in.

KayC,

That was the same for me. My loving wife and I tried to make sure that we went to as much as we could for our son to have those memories. I know some memories will help him when I am gone or at least I hope they do. We did what we could to make sure his childhood wasn't like ours were and hopefully he realizes that in the future.

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks, John.  I know that I can’t help all the dogs here.  The old girl is special, though, if you were to see her.  Moves very slowly, like an old human with joint problems.  So sad looking, but such a pleasant disposition.  Usually. I pick ticks off of her, as her people apparently don’t, and she needs a bath, which I’m sure she only gets rarely.  Hanging out with Marcus in a safe comfortable place is better for her than being at her home, which is about 175 yards away.  I think that she sleeps at home, and moves in the early morning, as I’ve seen her slowly making her way there around 7, although she is usually there already when I stop on my “Bear walk”.  Too much empathy.  It is so hard to keep pushing her back.

Kay, I’m sorry that you missed the ballet, but deciding on the side of safety is the wise thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

OldTrojan,

I understand about too much empathy and I think that is part of my grieving "issue". The last couple of days have not been good for reasons I have stated on other posts AND this Wednesday is the one year of losing our female Chihuahua so it is all crashing in on me again and the Holidays too. It is just way too much and I don't know how people do this for a long time, the 9 months since my loving wife died are the longest most painful thing I have gone through and then everything else.:sad: Take care, John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members

John, I know the pain of anniversaries.  Every Wednesday is tough for Bear still.  The third of this month was one year for sweet MommaDog.  That was a tough day.  I think often of the rabbi’s comment about not trading love for pain.  I try and think of the love first.  Try this; it helped me somewhat.  I hope that you’ll be OK for the holidays.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Here's my little girl...how I wish I could have seen her!  Sometimes I've wondered about moving there but don't think my DIL would like it and this is home, where I've built a life, I know no one there, nothing, not even how to get around.  And she has her parents.

12 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

I think often of the rabbi’s comment about not trading love for pain.

I so agree, and I think it was John that recently made a similar comment, that he wouldn't have traded any of it to avoid the pain that is ours today for missing them.  I feel the same.

John, I've never learned "how" to do the deathaverseries, they are such a reminder that we cannot forget what we wish we didn't have to think about, but how can we avoid it...
Although written more for death of a person, much can apply to death of beloved animal as well, as love is love, grief is grief, be it human or furry.
Anniversary of a Loved One's Death
Anniversary of Death
Anniversary of death tips

2066047382_CeciBallet121121.jpg.0053a1fbcc1bf8a77ad3d3f8be135295.jpg

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

Very pretty smile, so sorry you missed the ballet and that smile. Thank you for the links, I will check them out.

• Like 1

• Members

Kay, what a cutie!  A shame to miss the performance, but with dangerous driving conditions, better safe than sorry.

I am not a cat person, so have questions for you cat owners.   The stores here do not have dog or cat toys.  I know that pets need toys for stimulation.  Bear was happy chasing a ball, although rather than bringing it back to play fetch, he tried to eat the ball after he caught it.  He was entertained by chewing up plastic water bottles.  Any suggestions on what I could try for Miss Kitty from normally available products?  Of course, “normally available” there is different from here, so we may not have what you suggest.  Thanks,

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Kodie got sick Sun. from eating meat/veg thrown in Iris' compost pile.  He threw up a lot Sun.  He ate normal Mon.  Tues. didn't eat again and threw up more of the same last night, getting worried about him.  Horrid roads today, tomorrow am dental appt in the valley.  Today snow to the valley floor, extreme ice, wrecks.  Wouldn't you know.  I'm worried about my baby.

Kitty's favorite toy was one I made...out of a stretched out coat hanger and something hanging from it on the end, I'd dangle it for her, move it around.  Any catnip?  Do you have eBay there?  You could get toys there if you do.

12 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

Bear was happy chasing a ball, although rather than bringing it back to play fetch, he tried to eat the ball after he caught it. 

That's cute.  Kodie will play fetch in the house but not outside, go figure.

• Hugs 1

• Members

OldTrojan,

My loving wife made toys for her cats from fabric knotted with catnip in the middle and then cut the ends into strips so it dangles. They also chase my belt when I take it off and drag it on the floor. We had many cats that would chase paper wads or anything that would make a noise and some would actually retrieve them.

KayC,

I hope Kodie is okay and just a mild "tummy" ache, I know how painful it is to worry about them. Keep us posted, hoping for the best.

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, John9 said:

My loving wife made toys for her cats from fabric knotted with catnip in the middle and then cut the ends into strips so it dangles.

That's a great idea!  Kitty had a bell on the end of the coathanger.  She got too nuts over catnip, like it made her lose her brains. :D

Kodie seems better this morning, hope it lasts, ate some food during the night.  Sick yesterday except you couldn't tell it when he was with Jazzy.  Went there twice yesterday as I didn't need a long walk with all the shoveling snow I did.  Have more to do before making the long trip to the dentist this morning.

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

Hopefully Kodie is okay and it was a temporary issue. My loving wife made tuggies for the dog clients at Christmas out of fleece, she would braid 2 or 3 colors together and I would help knot the ends for her since her hands were "shot". Her cats really like running around with the fleece toys she made for them and tossing them in the air.

• Like 1

• Members

Bear was my best friend, and I love him beyond words, but he was not the Albert Einstein of his litter, and never figured out “fetch”.  Buddy, his older brother, was worse, and would catch up with the ball, and then bury it.  I lost several balls.  MommaDog was an expert fetch player, and wanted to play much longer than I.  When Buddy was a small puppy (too small I thought to grab the ball in his mouth) he intercepted a ball to MommaDog and ran under a container with it.

I hope Kodie is OK from whatever he ate.  I have very bad vision, and when we were walking, Bear would start eating whatever garbage he found before I could pull him away from it.  He several times got sick, and with no vet here I worried terribly.

It is often very difficult to order things here on the internet from the real word.  Many vendors will not ship here at all, and most of those that do, use very expensive UPS or Fedex, which have big international surcharges.  All of Micronesia is part of the US Postal Service, and we have a US zip code, so USPS is relatively affordable, but only for the few sources that use it.  I gave up on eBay.  Neither Walmart or Target will ship here at all.

I just read that another big storm is hitting Northern California and Southern Oregon.  I hope that you are OK with the weather, Kay.

Miss Kitty has no interest in boxes or big paper bags like most cats.  Dangling string doesn’t get much attention from her, either.  She’s been disappearing occasionally to run around with male cats.  She’s still a wild cat who’s hanging out here, as opposed to a pet that lives here, although she's pretty settled in..

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
12 minutes ago, OldTrojan said:

Bear was my best friend, and I love him beyond words, but he was not the Albert Einstein of his litter, and never figured out “fetch”. 

OldTrojan,

My loving wife and had many dogs and only 1 of them ever really fetched, he was a cocker spaniel and when we got our rotten shepard he stole all of his toys and he never played the same again. Our dogs would chase a ball but never give them back, I think that was the game to them keep it away from us. Most of the cats we had never played the games we wanted but my loving wife was determined the 2 new ones were going to do it all and the Oriental Shorthair cats are wicked smart but I am sorry to say I have no desire to teach them. I play with them but they sleep so much and aren't interested for too long. I do miss each quirk that each one of our animals had that made special. It is just right now what makes this life so miserable that they are all gone too. I survived Wednesday but all I did all day was cry and it was hard. The memories are good and bad at the same time and there are many but the pain of losses is really bad too.

• Like 1

• Moderators

We're getting more snow heading into Christmas Eve/Day so that likely means I won't get to see my grandkids again.  :(  A neighbor invited me over but I can't eat anything they eat (vegetarian but high carb), but to me it's not about the food so much as the company, I may accept.  Can always bring chia seed pudding to eat.  On Thanksgiving the only thing I could have my DIL fixed was turkey!  I'm fine regardless.

At Kodie's playdate last night, Jazzy had drug some rotten lettuce off thee compost pile and hid it in the bushes, guess who helped her wolf it down!  You've got it!  Anything but dogfood he'll eat!  You'd think they'd learn, nope!  I think they don't correlate the consequences with their actions as there's too much lag time inbetween.

14 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

Bear was my best friend, and I love him beyond words, but he was not the Albert Einstein of his litter, and never figured out “fetch”.  Buddy, his older brother, was worse, and would catch up with the ball, and then bury it.  I lost several balls. 

This made me laugh!  MamaDog must have been on the ball!

Wow so no place to order in your vicinity.  Not even Amazon?  No one has a location there?  I would think there'd be a local eBay everywhere!  I know they have it in different countries, but less to choose from in smaller ones.  Wow, I can't imagine, THAT is remote!

My Miss Mocha slept her life away it seems, aww but she was sweet.  And she loved dogs!

• Hugs 1

• Members
54 minutes ago, KayC said:

I would think there'd be a local eBay everywhere!

KayC,

When my loving wife sold on eBay, we (me) would listen when the buyer would say something like OldTrojan is going through. We sent to US "possessions" and maybe if the seller listened they might too. I don't know why some dogs (or people) don't learn and keep doing the same things over and over, hopefully Kodie will be okay. Dogs are definitely scent driven and compost must be very attractive to them. There is a city that has a large one nearby and in the summer when it is hot you have to roll up the windows and hold your breath when you drive past, I don't know how the people near it can take it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Kodie threw up again last night. I can watch the compost pile but Jazzy has drug rotten food into the bushes and they get into it when I can see/reach them!  She doesn't get sick, being bigger, but he does.  I tried to get him into the vet or animal hospital but they're all full.  I fixed chicken/rice for him and will keep him home today.  This is heartbreaking, he's going to be so sad.  Why can't they just cover it!  Even a sheet would help.

Dogs have to have immediate consequences to learn, otherwise they don't correlate what they did with what happens.  That doesn't happen with eating as it doesn't occur right away.

• Hugs 1

• Members

My internet and phone  are finally back after three days.  We have problems with availability and reliability of basic infrastructure here:  phone, internet, power, water.  You don’t appreciate how fortunate you are in the first world.  I was lucky, in that I got favor from the telecom manager, otherwise it can take weeks to get a repair made.

John, I’m so sorry that your last Wednesday was so painful.  We all understand grief here.  I read that time mitigates grief, but for many of us that takes longer than we would like.  I am certainly lagging.  I guess that we have to be patient.

Oddly, with Miss Kitty hanging around here, I miss Bear all the more.  I miss his exuberance, joy and excitement when we would do our walks, as it was infectious.  Cats are low key. 

I have a problem with Amazon here, which  seems to be more specifically my problem than Amazon in general.  Everything that I try to order produces a message that the product can not be shipped here.  Other people here have no problem, though, with most items. We all have a Marshall Islands IP address, so I don’t know why I have more problems. Amazon does not return my e-mails.

Kay, I hope that you can enjoy Christmas with your friends.  Friends here used to invite me (before they left) and I took a day off from my usually careful eating habits for the fun and socialization.

I hope Kodie is better.  I know the worry when a dog is sick.

Merry Christmas to all.  Santa comes to our side of the dateline first.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
26 minutes ago, OldTrojan said:

John, I’m so sorry that your last Wednesday was so painful.  We all understand grief here.  I read that time mitigates grief, but for many of us that takes longer than we would like.  I am certainly lagging.  I guess that we have to be patient.

OldTrojan,

Thank you, I believe as long as I breathe I will grieve for my loving wife and our loving pets and everyone else I have lost. I don't understand the issue that you have with shipping items to you. I have always said that decisions made are not really understood on how they relate to real people. Too many companies and people in charge don't know the basics of how things should work. There is no real reason that Amazon doesn't respond to you except for the same reason they don't ship to you. Your address must not show correctly to them either email or physical. I am not defended I am speculating and I know it doesn't help you. I will express a Merry Christmas to you as well, I however don't know if I will ever be able to celebrate it again. I am okay with all who can and I hope they do, but I am not able at least at this time. Take care, John

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

My internet and phone  are finally back after three days

I wondered where you were!  Alas I know all too well as I live in the country mountains, everything is unstable here.  I'm getting a ton of snow beginning early Thursday on so won't travel to my son's for Christmas, and if the snow materializes early I will miss my granddaughter's piano recital also.  :(  Plus still nursing Kodie, feeling better but not 100% normal yet.  It is when I get the snows that elec/phone goes out and water with it...usually a downed line from a tree overladen with the weight of snow...it's likely to prove a hard winter as we had all the extreme temperatures and drought over the summer that weakened the trees.

Here we have a phone number for Amazon we can call but don't know if it'd work, you can try it, it's toll-free...1-888-280-4331

John, I posted a holiday article from WYG on the spousal section...

Sending you both wishes for a good Christmas as much as possible, if I go dark it's because elec. or internet went out.  I have to clean off the dish and when the sky is thick with snow clouds, no reception/internet..

Good news, Mike covered Iris' compost pile, will do a better cover when he is physically able to.

• Hugs 1

• Members

There are rural problems with weather that urban people don’t even think about.  This is worse than our occasional road closures due to king tides and high winds coinciding.

Kay, I’m sorry that this is affecting your holidays.

I see phone numbers for Amazon on their website, and similar numbers for other vendors on theirs, but these are not toll free from here, but are very expensive.  Another drawback to living the expat life.

Hopefully now you can keep Kodie out of the compost pile!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Yeah, they have it covered with temporary cardboard and 2x6s and Mike will make a cover when he is able to, he's still on oxygen, been over 2 months, he's a Covid longhauler.  Can't wait for winter to be over and it's just started, then a reprieve until summer...never used to dread summers but last year was horrid!  Between extreme heat, fires, evacuations...

Looking like maybe 3 ft. of snow over the holidays, this whole upcoming week...this is my latitude/longitude, if you click on the "hourly" and add it up, I'll spend every day/night shoveling, praying the county plows the road and I can get my neighbor to plow my main driveway. 
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-122.41158872593141&lat=43.802891161925544

My yard guy blew all the gravel off my other driveway so it's now pure MUD!  Can't do anything about it until spring as it'll be covered with snow tomorrow on.  I was shocked when I came home and saw it.  Now I have mud on all my boots/shoes and it's all in the house.  Can't even clean house right now, too many more pressing things to do.  No idea how I'll get groceries next week, may just have to run out of things.  While everyone is home with their families saying Merry Christmas.

Kind of depressing.  I can't help but think how it'd be if my husband were here...thankfully I have Kodie though, but life is hard growing old alone.

Does Amazon there have a contact us through email?

• Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Kind of depressing.  I can't help but think how it'd be if my husband were here...thankfully I have Kodie though, but life is hard growing old alone.

KayC,

I am sorry that we understand and have to live this statement. I am glad you have Kodie and hope he continues to get better. I don't miss the mud from the dogs and the wet and snowy footprints, but I do miss the dogs.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Kay:

I can attest that growing old is hard, with all of my physical problems, but at least we have warm weather here.  It sounds like you need a new yard guy.  That was stupid anywhere, but more so there with your weather.  I hope that you are OK for the holidays.  This is a tough time of year emotionally for many people.

As I noted, Amazon is not returning my e-mails.

I had shocking revelation this morning.  Miss Kitty rolled over to get her tummy rubbed, and I just noticed that her nipples are enlarging and her stomach is growing.  I don’t know how I missed this before, but she is obviously pregnant.  Very bad news here.  It is impossible to adopt out kittens here – no one wants cats.  I have no idea what I will do with kittens.  My landlord would just kill them, but I can’t do that, nor can I have a herd of cats here.  I am really upset, and at a loss of what to do.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I don't suppose you have any rescues like we do here...

I'm sorry, it seems they can produce so quickly!

Now it says over five ft, I hope not, my mobile home will never hold up under the weight.

It was my fault (yard guy) as I wasn't explicit enough, I know this about him yet was hurrying to leave and forgot...no common  sense. :(

• Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I don't suppose you have any rescues like we do here...

I'm sorry, it seems they can produce so quickly!

Now it says over five ft, I hope not, my mobile home will never hold up under the weight.

It was my fault (yard guy) as I wasn't explicit enough, I know this about him yet was hurrying to leave and forgot...no common  sense. :(

KayC,

I hope the snow is not that much or maybe fluffy snow. I know what I am going to say doesn't help you, but my loving wife could never understand why I have a snow scraper for the roof. I have the worst fear of the weight of big snows and multiple snows. I know you can't do that as it is even getting harder for me with my shoulders and getting older. I was just commenting that I kinda understand the thoughts and fears of big snow. As always I hope for the best for you and your safety.

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Eek!  I think I'd better stop whining about our heavy rain and wind that's shown several leaks (minor and moderate, but not flooding--knock on wood, etc.) in our old house.  Three are likely easy fixes; one is an old place recurring; and one is an area we've been fighting since we bought the house (the previous owners didn't disclose properly, but by the time we learned that, it was too late to contest or take them to court).

I'll be thinking of you and Kodie today, hoping all is well (or at least, not as bad as it could be!)  IMO (which likely counts for little), God owes you a break!

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, John9 said:

I kinda understand the thoughts and fears of big snow.

So yard guy has assured me he'll keep an eye on my roof and shovel if it starts getting too heavy (it will).  I told him these old mobile homes only have 1 x 4s for support, unbelievable!

I have the best neighbors in the world.  Joe's owners stopped by with their little ones last night, Kodie spun and spun for them!  And shared his toys with the kids. ;)

Everything is white.

Lately my Dish Network hasn't been working, took 45 min. to get it working last night, by that time it was time for bed!  They said the receiver is old.  Can't deal with it right now.

• Hugs 1

• Members
16 minutes ago, KayC said:

So yard guy has assured me he'll keep an eye on my roof and shovel if it starts getting too heavy (it will).  I told him these old mobile homes only have 1 x 4s for support, unbelievable!

I have the best neighbors in the world.  Joe's owners stopped by with their little ones last night, Kodie spun and spun for them!  And shared his toys with the kids. ;)

Everything is white.

Lately my Dish Network hasn't been working, took 45 min. to get it working last night, by that time it was time for bed!  They said the receiver is old.  Can't deal with it right now.

KayC,

Hopefully he will keep an eye out for you. The house that I had before the one we are in now was only 2x4 supports not a lot better but a little than 1x4. Codes change because they learn from the past mistakes but of course the cost to try to keep up is on us.

As far as Dish Network, every company seems to do that. My cell phone is slated to become useless in March because they are updating the network and not supporting what I have, phone isn't even 2 years old. It is what we always called manufactured obsolescence, forced upgrades or updates. They will probably say the entire system needs to be updated dish and all.

I am glad Kodie is feeling better, enough to entertain kids.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah, well I can't deal with it over the winter.  I have recorded movies I'd lose my collection.  I miss the days we had VCRs and cable!

• Hugs 1

• Members
20 minutes ago, KayC said:

Yeah, well I can't deal with it over the winter.  I have recorded movies I'd lose my collection.  I miss the days we had VCRs and cable!

KayC,

I have cable, not much better. It used to be that I could record something on the DVR and if the cable went out still watch it, but now if the cable goes out I can't watch it because it is in the CLOUD. I have DVD's for that reason used to be for my loving wife and MIL but as a backup for keeping them from going crazy with nothing to watch. As long as power was on. Sometimes (mostly) updates and upgrades aren't really better.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My tv is hooked to my stereo speakers but no place to hook the DVD player to it too so I can't hear the DVDs very well.  I rarely watch them because of it.  It's a struggle keeping the satellite dishes clear, nigh impossible in this.  10" yesterday/last night and more coming down, no end in sight.  :(  My hands hurt already.

Electricity out all day, $779 generlink doesn't work, warranty off (didn't need it last winter) so that was a waste, still back to old fashioned survival the hard way.  Ate pork rinds and peanut butter for my first meal and a small cup of cold (old) soup for dinner.  Couldn't cook, shower, etc.  Big flashlight going out.  Only phone that works w/no elec. is tethered to the wall and I have to stand while on it, no room for a chair.  Ugh.

Missing my kids/grandkids.  Got to listen to the grands last night, couldn't make out what they were saying, but still sweet to listen to, I'm just missing them so much.

Merry Christmas!.gif

• Hugs 1

• Members

You are all tougher than I am, to deal with such weather.  Los Angeles was too cold for several months a year for my assortment of physical problems, and I occasionally had problems in “winter” when I lived in Honolulu.  It sounds like Kay has some very nice neighbors.

I just read that the Oregon governor has declared an emergency through Jan 3.  I hope that where Kay is will be OK.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I will be one of the hardest hit, in the Cascades.  I have 23" right now but it's settled into about a foot, too much for me to shovel.  I hope all the "help" that was offered, materializes!  Getting a lot more today but they've lowered the predictions for the remaining week to come in lesser amounts continuously.  It'd be nice if I could get my driveway and road plowed long enough to get groceries in a week or so!  Right now even Eugene and Springfield have it, not as common.

I grew up in Eugene, OR, I remember us getting about 4' one year!  Us kids loved it!

Looked it up...47.1 inches – The greatest cumulative snow fall for Eugene, Oregon. This occurred during the year that ended December 31st, 1969.

The highest I've ever gotten here is 6'.  2 1/2 years ago we had the Snowpocalypse, got 4' 5" dumped on us overnight, heavy wet stuff, froze down to 19 F (totally unpredicted).  Couldn't shovel it.  No electricity/water for over 8 days.  Phone out 18 days.  No plows, mail, garbage pickup.  Food went bad as I couldn't get to the bldg. housing my coolers.  This year I have my coolers up on my deck. ;)  My generlink doesn't work so still no backup power if it goes out again, which also means no water/toilet.  I have a path shoveled to my firewood and one to where Kodie can go potty (he's a short little guy).  Getting into the low 20s or teens this week.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Amazing numbers to a warm weather guy.  Have you considered getting a gasoline powered snow blower?  My friends who grew up in snow laughed when they went to college and their fathers bought gas-powered snow blowers to replace the peanut butter powered teen boys.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

My son bought me a hand propelled one over 14 months ago but has yet to bring it here, I don't think I could manage it though with my hands and no place to store it unless on the patio and it's kind of crowded already.  And you have to have someplace to blow it, that's my problem now, no place to shovel it TO!  33" by this morning.  My pastor & elder shoveled my roof off, with neighbor Jack joining them but they covered all the pathways I'd shoveled so I can't get to the satellite dishes to clear them off, Kodie can't get to the front yard, snow way too deep, it'd bury him!  Can't open front gate.  Can't get to my firewood now.  More shoveling ahead and honestly no place to put it.  My back and hands hurt so bad, it's hard to move, shoveled from 2:30 am yesterday until dark, about 5 pm.  I did the ramp this morning and a narrow tunnel to my storage room so I could turn the heater off, but it's not wide enough to get the wheelbarrow through, 100' to firewood.  Ugh.

Won't get the car or truck out for a LONG time!

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

WOW, I am so sorry that I am complaining about my flooded yard. It seems like all it has done is rain since my loving wife died, way more than usual. We had a snow a few years back that was so deep that I had to create paths for the dogs to do their business. My loving wife always teased me about that, I actually had to use the snowblower to do it. I was going through pictures the other day and all you could see were the tips of the Chihuahua ears within the "tunnel". As I wrote before, miss the dogs not the mess or having to worry about them. MY loving wife was getting fed up with the cold and snow and I don't think she could ever do any of what you are doing. I know it is an apple/orange thing because of the region and the area you live in versus where we live. I just don't know what she would have done if I was the one who died, because she WAS spoiled by me and didn't have to do anything if she didn't want to. As for the audio issue I think there is a "cheap" switch box that you look into if you wanted to that would address that problem. I know there are more pressing issues , just saying because I was in the video business and we sold things like that.

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, John9 said:

We had a snow a few years back that was so deep that I had to create paths for the dogs to do their business.

I did the same, I take him up on his leash to the unfenced part of the front yard, I also walk him to his play dates down the street a couple of times a day, but it's so cold sitting outside waiting for them to play!  In the 20s day/night.  At 38" now and just keeps snowing, Thursday is supposed to be bad.  :(  I just want it to quit!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
36 minutes ago, KayC said:

I did the same, I take him up on his leash to the unfenced part of the front yard, I also walk him to his play dates down the street a couple of times a day, but it's so cold sitting outside waiting for them to play!  In the 20s day/night.  At 38" now and just keeps snowing, Thursday is supposed to be bad.  :(  I just want it to quit!

KayC,

Yeah, that is a bit much all at once, or in a short period of time. That is too much for a whole season when you are the one shoveling, I know because it is usually me doing the shoveling at least up till now it has been. It never really bothered me because it was good exercise and it was for my loving wife and now without that motivation, it is harder to do that or anything. Hopefully you will catch a respite from having to shovel, but it doesn't really sound like it.

• Like 1

• Members

Kay, I’m so sorry to hear of your extreme weather problems.  Our hearts are with you.

It was very kind of those men to shovel your roof, but I don’t understand how people accustomed to snow could shovel it on to areas that had already been cleared.

The entire west coast from Washington down to San Diego is suffering major weather.  Roads closed at higher elevations, flooding in lower elevations in California.  Several records for snow being broken.

You and Kodie hang in there!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I paid someone $50 to finish shoveling half the driveway last night...woke up to more snow.  Shoveled for hours, just came in the house and the electricity went out for the 4th time in 24 hours!  It's five times in six days.  Still haven't gotten groceries.  

Everyone talking about taking their tree down, ha, I don't have energy for that, besides I feel like Christmas came and went without me.

• Hugs 1

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I paid someone $50 to finish shoveling half the driveway last night...woke up to more snow.  Shoveled for hours, just came in the house and the electricity went out for the 4th time in 24 hours!  It's five times in six days.  Still haven't gotten groceries.  

Everyone talking about taking their tree down, ha, I don't have energy for that, besides I feel like Christmas came and went without me.

KayC,

I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble this year. I know life wasn't guaranteed easy but sometimes we should get a little relief. I feel bad that you missed so many family events also. I feel so bad complaining about flooding in my yard and losing power for an hour here and there.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Seven times in six days as of yesterday, but who's counting!  Frustrating!

I managed to shovel Mike & Iris' path yesterday then came home and discovered the county dumped a ton of sludge in the top of my driveway and street in front, I had to shovel for 1 1/2 hours to make a path for the mailman to the mailbox again, and I'd previously had it clean!  That's what's frustrating.  :angry:

• Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Seven times in six days as of yesterday, but who's counting!  Frustrating!

I managed to shovel Mike & Iris' path yesterday then came home and discovered the county dumped a ton of sludge in the top of my driveway and street in front, I had to shovel for 1 1/2 hours to make a path for the mailman to the mailbox again, and I'd previously had it clean!  That's what's frustrating.  

KayC,

That I understand, and it is very annoying. I know they have a job to do but it still makes more work for those of us who live on county roads. And slush and ice are very hard to move because it is very heavy. I am thinking of you and Kodie, hope it stops snowing so you can at least catch a little break, but I know winter just started also.

• Like 1