Top Posters In This Topic

• John9

• KayC

• tnd

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

tnd,

I had posted last week during the period that got "wiped out", that I feel like a failure and a useless, worthless person but I do know that I have tried my hardest to do right by people and that sometimes it is just so hard. I am not sure what will happen now but as MIL used to say "one thing at a time" and that is where I am now. One less thing but also many more. I do hope that I am able to grieve properly but I don't think it will happen quite yet, tomorrow "we" have to complete the arrangements for her cremation and wait for the issuance of the Death Certificates to process all of the "legal" stuff (probate, etc) all while going through the other legal stuff from my friend, Lawyers are getting rich and funeral home too. Three so far this year and only 8 months in.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

foreverhis,

I thank you for the comments and all I can do is take things as they come however that may be. It is "funny" I just got off the phone with my friends physical therapist who has continued to check on me since my wife died and he and I talked about looking for the little things to help through the days. This person is a very good man to do this for someone he only "barely" knows and I am very thankful for him in my life at this time, in his own way he may be an angel for me.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 8/30/2021 at 8:12 AM, John9 said:

It will be a direct cremation like my wife because "nobody" cared when she was alive so I don't need crocodile tears now about how much they will miss her.

I totally get it and would feel the same.  By this age most "friends" have already preceded them and those who cared, showed it...YOU.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, John9 said:

Yesterday when it hit me that MIL died I was struck with the realization that now was the time that we were supposed to start the next phase of our life.

I know, right!  It hasn't turned out that way for me either.  I live vicariously through @Autocharge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 8/31/2021 at 9:21 AM, John9 said:

. . . My son and I are going right now to make arrangements for her cremation and it will probably be harder than I think it should be because it was an eventuality and expected death, but it is also closing a chapter because she was in my life for 35 years also. So much loss in too short of a period of time. 

. . .

John9, 

I am glad your son was able to go with you.  You have been through so much loss. And of course your son is grieving too. But it is good you can be with each other. 

I hope you have been able to get some rest. I am sure it feels strange to not be "on call" 24/7.  It will probably take some time for you to really relax. 

This is yet another transition forced upon you. Change is always hard, even when expected. 

Hugs

Gail

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Gail 8588,

I agree about "fixing" errors but then again unless they were to misspell her name I really wouldn't care because dealing with "those" people would just make me angrier because someone didn't do their job correctly, but who knows what I will do. In Michigan "we" have another "stupid" antiquated law still on the books and it affects too many people, IF someone dies and the proper paperwork isn't signed within 48 hours you have to pay to embalm them even if they are being cremated and no service MIL is now the 3rd time this year that I had to pay for it because of various reasons but 2 of them because "they" died on the weekend and there is nobody working that can sign the papers and then when someone can sign the paperwork is "backed" up and like this weekend it is a 3 day weekend anyone dying between Friday night and Sunday will probably have to be embalmed because of the backup. As far as taking the "sleeping" aid throughout the years I have tried and found that a lot of "drugs" do not work for me and have actually had arguments with Doctors over that issue because they all want to say "this should have worked " because it works for everyone else. My wife was able to take Zyquil IF she was allowed to let it clear her system before she needed to "function" but since it is nothing but Benadryl those types have never worked for me. But thank you for the suggestion I will eventually hopefully find the sweet spot and be able to get some sleep just not right away. One thing, one step, one day.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

OMG, that's crazy!  Maybe something to bring up to your representative when you are through with more pressing stuff.  Sometimes they need to fix the old laws on the books.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

KayC,

I did actually say that to our son and Aunt about how it is at the worst possible time and some families are already struggling and now there is an extra fee on top of everything else.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I just sent an email to our representative. Let's see if he even responds, don't expect much but an automated response since he is probably on "vacation" or break but I will see.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
23 hours ago, John9 said:

it is so hard sometimes to explain the details of her death without crying or breaking down.

John9:  That happens to me too. A neighbor man asked Francis about me and my husband last nite because he hadn't seen us and then he saw Francis "and crew" packing my stuff up. I didn't speak with him, Francis came back inside and told me and I started crying. I guess this will keep happening for as long as our emotions are there. Kind of hard to hold it in.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
18 hours ago, John9 said:

I just sent an email to our representative. Let's see if he even responds, don't expect much but an automated response since he is probably on "vacation" or break but I will see.

I'm sorry, I feel Oregon is so lucky to have Peter DeFazio since he amazingly is for the people and responds to us.  I've never seen a "politician" like him but we've had him for more years than I can remember, I've met him in person at a place I worked at, he showed up to personally talk to my boss whose business was struggling.  I hope you hear back something more than an automated response!

Yes, Gail, it does evolve, thankfully.  It takes time though and in those early days we just want it to pass.

• Like 2

• Members
18 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

The second time it happened, I knew I had passed into a new phase. I could tell people about his death without falling to pieces. 

Gail 8588:  I hope I am nearing that point but if it took you four years then I have to realize that it could take me a while too. I'm trying not to sweat it. I cry over everything else that has been going on and I know people can see that on my face. There's just no hiding how I feel these days. But I don't intend to let any of this beat me. I don't plan for things to stay this way. But it's going to be an uphill climb for sure. Grief, illness, finances, housing, everything I guess.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, John9 said:

The saying that I have enough drama in my life, I don't need yours came to mind the other day when talking to someone and things started going South. Life is just too short for any of that stuff and I know it was just a saying before BUT now it is really true.

Yes.  Esp. when it seems petty and pales by comparison to what we're dealing with.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

NO!  They are NOT having a free meal on her!  Not when none of these people could be bothered with her when she was alive!  Is she kidding!!!  Yes, just tell them it's in the hands of probate, repeat as necessary.  You have been a saint on every level and if anyone should get a reward it's you.  :wub: JMO!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

KayC,

This is why "everything" should be written out as to what to do if there is any chance of people crawling out from under their rocks looking for something. My wife's Aunts had issues when their parents died because it was a free for all even though nobody was supposed to touch anything until the court said so BUT as I used to say where there is a will there is a dead person who people want to steal from. They WANTED me to have that, They TOLD me this.... Put it in writing because it has caused way too many fights and estrangements in families and maybe that was what is going on now but it wasn't my family so I didn't know there was anything going on and I don't think my wife was aware either.

• Like 1

• Members
22 hours ago, John9 said:

she said the "crazy" one thinks that MIL should pay for a Memorial party for "family" who was never there and never called including cousins and it should be at my house. My Head EXPLODED when I heard this, I don't know these people, I have never met these people and it AIN'T happening let alone having MIL pay for it because IF there is any money probate is in charge now.

John9:  That's not only rude but insane!! I'd tell that one to take a long walk off a short pier! Seriously, I wouldn't think any more about it -or them. And if they bug you about it, say "Yeah, uh, not gonna happen!" I remember when my mother passed, she had specifically told me that she did not want a funeral, memorial or party. Nothing. I agreed to it. But my brother insisted that there be a funeral so he asked me for the names/numbers/addresses of her friends. Well, at the time of her death she didn't have many friends, only neighbors at her apartment and in passing. But nope, my brother just kept insisting. So I finally told him, FINE. YOU want a funeral or to throw a memorial, then go right ahead. Good luck locating her "friends". I was so darn ticked off. It was as if he didn't believe me...and look how he recently ended up treating me. Anyways, I wouldn't concern yourself with it and if the crazy one calls and insists, just tell her it ain't gonna happen. And if she still insists, then I'd tell her exactly what you think of her.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

KayC,

This is why "everything" should be written out as to what to do if there is any chance of people crawling out from under their rocks looking for something. My wife's Aunts had issues when their parents died because it was a free for all even though nobody was supposed to touch anything until the court said so BUT as I used to say where there is a will there is a dead person who people want to steal from. They WANTED me to have that, They TOLD me this.... Put it in writing because it has caused way too many fights and estrangements in families and maybe that was what is going on now but it wasn't my family so I didn't know there was anything going on and I don't think my wife was aware either.

We didn't have this in my family because my mom (my dad died 32 years before) left EVERYTHING to her youngest son, us five girls "didn't count!"  There was very little left by the time the dementia care place was paid two years two months.  I didn't get my dad's portrait or the leather bag he gave my mom that had a deer on it (I was born on a deer hunting trip, the result of their love during this time), the family rocking chair did not go to my pregnant DIL even though my brother's kids were past that age and he had no grandchildren...never heard back from him on my mom's Bible.  Oh well, all of those "things" are remembered in my heart where no one can take them. ;)

@tnd , if your brother was so darn close to your mom he'd have KNOWN who her friends were!  Love your response to him!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
16 hours ago, tnd said:

I wouldn't concern yourself with it and if the crazy one calls and insists, just tell her it ain't gonna happen. And if she still insists, then I'd tell her exactly what you think of her.  

tnd,

I had just told the good sister the other day that I was done with them all because of how they "acted" and that I never said anything to them because of MIL. Now you are correct, leave me alone or I will not be nice about how I respond. I have said my wife was my constant and the reason I was able to control myself most of the time. I believe in "do whatever you want (if legal) just stay out of my business". That is one of the reasons "we" live where we do. I also told the good sister I expect that in the near future she will post on social media that I am the biggest piece of crap there is and I killed her sister because she has to be the center of attention. When my wife died she downright lied about my wife but I don't do the social media and won't be dragged into it. I did what I did and when I am judged that is when it matters. I never have to deal with them and at this time I won't and I know that isn't the way that we are supposed to be but I am not a saint and I can't be turning the other cheek anymore. My son said don't answer the phone and block her, I said I will wait and see.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

This is my point and when "you" are grieving more than others, you aren't able to deal with the issues that may come up. As far as the politics of family, grudges real or perceived do have a habit of rearing up at the worst times and if your parents did something to dictate how things were handled it makes it harder. But hey if your own family can't treat you bad who can. This I believe is the whole situation I went through with MIL and her family, I never stuck my nose in her life "until" she moved into our home. I like to say that whatever happened to someone before I met them is what made them who they are (also after) and like I said about my wife that is what I LOVE(D) about her. So I don't know if there was issues in the family that are still lingering but MIL couldn't say and IF my wife knew of anything she never told me. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family but you CAN decide how to deal with them or not to deal with them as hard as it might be.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

But hey if your own family can't treat you bad who can.

Oh I get it!  Getting my fair share of horrid treatment from my sister that I've done literally everything for...BP was 198/87 this morning, BS showing the stress too.  Pulling way back, I have to think of myself now.  I'm no good to anyone dead.  My focus is Kodie, he gets me through what they call "life" now.

You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family but you CAN decide how to deal with them or not to deal with them as hard as it might be.

:D  Love this!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
8 minutes ago, John9 said:

It is a Saturday (she died on a Saturday), it will be six months tomorrow AND it is my Birthday and all of this is just going to make me not want to get out of bed at all. I know this isn't good, but this is the way I am right now and she always tried so hard to make my Birthday special for me because that made HER happy.

John9:  I'm sorry your wife isn't there to celebrate your birthday. Or any other time for that matter. Just when we are too full of pain we get hit with another wave of it. I do hope you will be able to get yourself out of bed to at least move around a little. I am finding that adding a little motion every couple of days to my routine helps. It helps with body aches and pain but also seems to have an effect on me emotionally. I still cry but not as hard or for as long. Nonetheless, I still cry and expect I always will. I don't think we can tell ourselves to stop crying and to stop grieving. Just not going to happen. And John, I've lost my purpose too. Really feel so lost and out of place now. But like you told me, first things first. So my focus right now is to keep adding a little more motion to my days and pray for my Widows Benefits so I can get my own place. Once I'm unpacked at my new place, then then I will begin the real work of figuring out how to live with grief and not having my husband here with me. And that's all I can really tell you, you just have to get through your Birthday tomorrow as best as you can and no matter how sad you feel, it is your grief to feel and no one else's. You have to deal with it how you see fit and in whatever ways that you are able to. Maybe this latest Petunia you found is a birthday message from your wife.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

John9, 

I don't know what the experts say, but my feeling is for you to do whatever is least painful for you tomorrow. If that is staying in bed until 3 in the afternoon, so be it.  If going for a walk in the early morning sounds good, go for it.  

It is going to be a hard day whatever you do.  I'm sorry that there is no way to make it not hard. 

With your MIL gone, you don't even have that responsibility to distract you from the painful absence of your dear wife.  A lot of this grief processing is just meeting the pain straight on and getting through it. 

You have had so much responsibility for so long, it may actually feel good to cry all day tomorrow.  You don't have to squash down how you feel tomorrow to meet someone else's needs.  You can let it all loose or squash it down, as you feel is right. 

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending hugs. 

Gail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Hey John, I’m so very sorry to hear that.  I hope she gets well soon.  Thoughts and prayers heading your way. Please keep us updated.   Steve 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

John9:  Hope the good sister gets well quickly and gets to go home soon to rest. Things probably have been a bit much for her and it's taking it's toll. That's why we have to be careful and watch out for ourselves now. We have to take care of ourselves so we don't end up suffering more than we already do. That's what I'm trying to do. Just maintain until I can get my own place and then see what I need to do to rebuild/repair what's left of my life. Lord knows I don't need to make it harder on myself by letting my health slip. 

I know this birthday is not the sort you've ever had before, I'm sorry for that but I am not going to be sorry for saying, "Happy Birthday, John". It is still your birthday and I wish you well. It's a gesture. One definition of "gesture" is "to express an idea or meaning". Enjoy your wife's Petunias. Maybe put a picture of them in a frame and date it...for the first birthday without your wife but alas, she sent you Petunias.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

John, hoping they get her BP down, that's what has scared me lately about dealing with my dementia sister, it raised my BP to critical stage!  

I know this feels an anticlimactic birthday, but do know we all wish we could make it better...

HB.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

KayC,

Thank you for the words and the wishes. I hope all know that I am not "wanting" any acknowledgement of my birthday. I just felt I needed to state why today is so hard over the other hard days. These triggers are relentless and everywhere even the ones I know are coming. I am still waiting to hear what is going on because they were waiting for test results and of course it is Saturday and Covid is stressing the staff and......

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 9/11/2021 at 2:39 PM, John9 said:

I am just not "whole" anymore and you are right today is no different than yesterday even though it is my birthday

John9:  I don't feel whole anymore either. My better half is gone and the part of me that remains has to figure out a way to go forward. It's almost as if I've got to be two people now; one as an individual/single lost and confused person and the other who is grieving and missing her better half has to be carried. I'm praying for a lot of strength -for the both of us. I still need my own place to live so have that little distraction for now but I'm afraid once I do get a place and finally unpack, a huge wave of grief is going to hit me. So I get why you feel sadder and sadder. We can only do so much with our feelings right now. If we are feeling sad, then we are going to feel sad. I don't know how long we are going to be feeling like this or how long the waves will last but I'm aware of it. I'm expecting it. Just going to deal with each day as it comes. I think both you and I have been through so much with little to no help that it has made us stronger but then we feel bad if we have to admit to feeling sad, like it's a weakness -and it is not! So I'm just going to let it come and get it out when it does. Do as I feel. Hope you grab an oar now and start rowing too.      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1