Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost our kitty last night, dog attack

Nataliemoriarty1984

• Members
Nataliemoriarty1984

We lost our cat last night to two dogs. We have only had him for 3 months, but my kids were so in love with him. I let him outside last night for a little bit, he usually stays in the backyard. When I went out back to call for him I heard some commotion in my front side yard, sounded like dogs, and a faint meow. I didn't think much of it, then I went to the front yard to call for him and that's when I saw the two dogs, one of them had a white small animal in his mouth, when he saw me he dropped it, but picked it back up again and they ran into the back field. I ran inside to put my sandals on, still hoping they had a rabbit or a bird. I found them in the back field and yelled at them. The one dog dropped the animal and they ran off. It was our sweet kitty :( . I tried to wake him up, but he was gone. This morning I buried him next to our other cat that recently passed before we got this one :( . My husband and kids wont be home for another 3 days, and I dont know what to say, or how to say it. My heart hurts for my 12 year old, she has been through so much pain already. She loves her kitties so much. She had already lost two previous kitties. We can't get another one. This is too painful. We are supposed to be going on vacation to hawaii 3 days after they come home. I'm praying it will be just what we need. I'm glad I found this forum. I am still in shock. I keep asking myself questions, why didnt I check the front yard first? I already know why, he is rarely out front. Why didn't I put his collar back on him earlier when he took it off? I wouldve been able to hear him better. 

Should I call my husband and tell him what happened? Or let him enjoy his camping trip and tell them all at once when they arrive home Friday night? Just for reference, I have three kids, my son is camping with his dad (my husband) and my 2 daughters are at their dad's house. My husband will swing by to pick the girls up friday night. I am only tempted to tell him now so he wont be shocked. But at the same time I want him to enjoy his trip. I think I will wait. 

• Moderators

I am very sorry for your loss, it's so hard and it's amazing how attached we get to them so quickly!

Perhaps when you get back from HI you can get your daughter another only this time indoor only cat.  It can be done, esp. if young and not accustomed to going outside.  My daughter used to have a balcony for her cats to go out on but now she doesn't and I know her cat misses it but he's adapted.  She does have a small fenced patio he can be on.

It's common for us to go through all of the "what ifs" after loss, looking for a different possible outcome as the one that happened feels too abhorrent.  Very hard.  My heart goes out to you.

BTW, I know a Dee Moriarty (TenNapel) here in OR, she has relatives in AZ...

• Members

I am so heartbroken for you and what happened to your sweet kitten. 

• Like 1