Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It’s been a year

Jennam

• Members

It’s been a year and a few days since I lost my best friend, my dog Vito. It all came back to me like a ton of bricks. 

I feel so insanely guilty that the day he died I was busy working. I was scared to ask for the day off from work so I kept working. Vito, I am so sorry. I should have spent that day with you. I will forever regret it. I miss you so much. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Oh Jennam, I'm sorry you're going through this.  It's been nearly two years since I lost my Arlie.  We don't get over them, we just learn to live with it as best as we can, we continue to love and miss them.

What would you tell a friend going through this same thing?  Tell that to yourself.  Now that they're gone we have to be our own best friend, please be kind, understanding of yourself...I'm sure Vito understands your situation AND your heart and no forgiveness necessary.  They were the ones who knew us best and knew how much we love them.

• Members

Thanks for your kind replay, KayC. I remember you had commented on my post a year ago. You sent a video to the rainbow bridge and I’ve watched it again in hopes of comfort. Thank you. 

• Like 1

• Members

@Jennam I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved best bud last Saturday and I have spent everyday since hating myself for all the things I wish I had done better, differently or not done at all. Its a vicious cycle. But someone close to me reminded me that while I made mistakes as an owner, ultimately I tried my best to give my boy the best life he could have.

Please don't let regrets or faults tarnish all the wonderful memories you have of your Vito. You made a mistake but that doesn't take away from how much you obviously loved him. 

I hope you're doing okay ❤️

• Like 2

• Members
nothingness
2 hours ago, CM255 said:

I lost my beloved best bud last Saturday and I have spent everyday since hating myself for all the things I wish I had done better, differently or not done at all. Its a vicious cycle. But someone close to me reminded me that while I made mistakes as an owner, ultimately I tried my best to give my boy the best life he could have.

Please don't let regrets or faults tarnish all the wonderful memories you have of your Vito. You made a mistake but that doesn't take away from how much you obviously loved him.

This is me. I'm having a horrible, horrible time with guilt. I hate myself so much for the times I was short tempered and the times I ignored his requests for attention (he wanted nonstop attention all the time). All the time I wasted just surfing the internet instead of doing things with him. I seriously can't live with myself.

• Like 2

• Members
4 hours ago, nothingness said:

This is me. I'm having a horrible, horrible time with guilt. I hate myself so much for the times I was short tempered and the times I ignored his requests for attention (he wanted nonstop attention all the time). All the time I wasted just surfing the internet instead of doing things with him. I seriously can't live with myself.

Aw Nothingness it's horrible, isn't it? It's not until its too late that all these things come back to haunt you. 

But you have to remember that you are not the only one that feels this way, I feel exactly the same and I'm willing to bet almost all people who have lost their pet feel the same way. It's one of the pains of losing someone you love dearly. Take care ♥️

• Like 1

• Moderators