Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of adult son

Lisa M.

• Members

Dearest Shel, there has been so much going on with everyone, I have been in a mess.  My Husband, Joe is okay... I was in the ICU with my eldest daughter who what is critical condition.  Here Hemoglobin which should have been 14 or 15 was 4... She is critically malnourished and she relapsed with alcohol after we lost Garrett.   She is out of the hospital but still not in great shape.  I think the would have kept her but actually had no beds... Her Dad and I asked her to stay with us and she has agreed.  She has been here for a little she came to stay after we lost Garrett..   I  am scared, worried tired and so ungodly broken and sad i am barely functioning.   Did anyone else get hit worse at six months.... not that this was ever anything but horrifically difficult.   I am having such a hard time...

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Rodriguez

• Roseypal

• Danielle Masata

• Jacqueline3

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hello everyone, anyone there?   I am having such a difficult time since my daughter was in the ICU.  She is doing better but has a long way to go.  I am so worried about Jolene and I miss Garrett so much.   All I do is cry and sob... go outside, hide in the bathroom and cry and sob...

• Members

Jacqueline - I am so sorry you are having such a hard time today.  Try and stay strong, it is difficult I know, and I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling.  I will pray for you and your family. Do not feel you need to hide your pain, let it out as you can.  Try and remember the good times, love your daughter and love your family as best you can and do not be too hard on yourself, you are only human, and you are a mother. .  We are here for you.  DeeDee

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

good morning to all......jacqueline , i am so sorry for all the struggles you are going thru.....bad enough the emptiness that garret brings but now caring for jolene....can you take a 5 minute break ? be alone and cry your heart out ? .....ever so often ill do it , for 5 minutes feel sorry for my self ; let go my feelings of how much i miss my son , of how much i love him .....and usually i find a small relief afterwards that lets me catch back my bearings. i wish i could do more but , all i can do is tell you what helps me when i feel i am over whelmed 

• Members

Hello everyone.  I am sorry I haven’t replied much.  I tend to hold my feelings and grief within myself.  All the challenges everyone is going through.  We have endured the worst pain imaginable.  I never thought I could withstand losing a child.  Wouldn’t happen to me. 
I also struggle to not blame myself for missing signs of something wrong before my Heidi passed.  We have to forgive ourselves.  As moms, we tend to fix things.  

• Members

Hi all, I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile.  Jacqueline,  you have been in my prayers.

I got through Tyler's service on 1/22 and it went well. Surprisingly, a lot of people came and showed support, even with covid. I was so overwhelmed by the love. I am trying to get through the days with his girls. Lot's of prayer. The girls are depressed and in therapy.  I hope they begin to talk more. Ty's son goes for surgery Friday and I'm concerned. At 22, he feels he doesn't need me there. I hope his girlfriend can handle it otherwise I'll meet them at their house afterwards. Please keep Connor in prayer.

I am putting one foot in front of the other and going through the motions. I'm still having problems with focus, maybe that will change in time.

I'm sending prayers and love. Karen

• Members
Mason’s Mom

Karen not being able to focus is understandable and I know I have had to work hard to keep my mind occupied and focus on the task at hand.  The first few months I remember going from room to room and not completely much of anything. 

Mary you are so fresh in your sorrow I hope we can offer you comfort.  We certainly understand. 

Michael I have the same need to release the pain through a few minutes of crying.  It is a release otherwise I would explode or implode. 

• Members

632BBE56-803C-483B-8856-82D1C15735B1.jpeg.b8a2135a3621599353268c919750df0f.jpeg

it’s been a very difficult journey for all of us, however the fact that we are all here for each other shows our strength 

• Members

Hello Everyone.  I have thought of you all often.   Jolene is doing much better but has a very long way to go.   I am worried about her.  I am crumbling beneath Garrett's loss.... It is so much harder for me now and it was never easy.  I miss him so much and can hardly bare to face this horrible life that I do not recognize.  I want my boy to come home, I want Jolene to be okay!  I do not know how to cope with Garrett's loss and my fear for Jolene.  I started seeing a therapist but I never want to go and she just irritates me.... she doesn't talk much and she;s so soft spoken.  She seems like a really good therapist but I have no idea how this is going to help.   I'm sorry everyone... I am not dealing well.   I miss my boy and I am so worried about Jolene.

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

its ok to vent , that is why we are all here .......to scream, to feel sorry about ourselves and each and everyone of us has its moments ......today is yours !!!  and we are here to support you like you have supported us

is jolene back home ?

• Members

Morning Michael, Jolene is staying with us until she is back on her feet.  We ask her and she agreed, which I am glad, but she is out of the hospital and we did see the Hematologist and he is so happy with her blood counts.  Told her she looks like a new person.  That makes me so happy.  She is on her way but is will be a very slow process....  I miss Garrett so much.....  How are you Michael?

• Members
Michael Rodriguez
5 minutes ago, Jacqueline3 said:

Morning Michael, Jolene is staying with us until she is back on her feet.  We ask her and she agreed, which I am glad, but she is out of the hospital and we did see the Hematologist and he is so happy with her blood counts.  Told her she looks like a new person.  That makes me so happy.  She is on her way but is will be a very slow process....  I miss Garrett so much.....  How are you Michael?

missing B just as much as you miss garrett !!! tomorrow we will have his body exhumed and cremated ....i have so many mixed emotions about it , but i am sure that everything will be ok ....... wedll, if everything goes as planned , he will be back home tomorrow

• Members

Honey, I know that will have to be so difficult.   but I am so happy he home with you.  My thoughts and love are with you.

• Members
Michael Rodriguez
15 minutes ago, Jacqueline3 said:

Honey, I know that will have to be so difficult.   but I am so happy he home with you.  My thoughts and love are with you.

thanks

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

we just had B exhumed , we expect to pick him up by 5:00 ....it was very hard re-living everything again

• Hugs 1

• Members
Michael Rodriguez
17 minutes ago, Roseypal said:

Michael,

Why did you have B exhumed?  Did something happen?

no.....we decided to get him cremated and bring him home.....

• Like 1

• Members
On 2/2/2022 at 9:26 AM, Mary kissr said:

Hello everyone.  I am sorry I haven’t replied much.  I tend to hold my feelings and grief within myself.  All the challenges everyone is going through.  We have endured the worst pain imaginable.  I never thought I could withstand losing a child.  Wouldn’t happen to me. 
I also struggle to not blame myself for missing signs of something wrong before my Heidi passed.  We have to forgive ourselves.  As moms, we tend to fix things.  

This too has been very hard on me. As his mom my job was to fix him, to make things better and I just couldn't as much as I tried. I also feel tons of guilt for not checking on him earlier, I let him down when he needed me most

• Like 1

• Members
On 2/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Jacqueline3 said:

Hello everyone, anyone there?   I am having such a difficult time since my daughter was in the ICU.  She is doing better but has a long way to go.  I am so worried about Jolene and I miss Garrett so much.   All I do is cry and sob... go outside, hide in the bathroom and cry and sob...

It's been 3 months since I lost my son and I still fall apart most days. I'm so sorry you are having to go thru so much. I pray Jolene gets stronger and she prevails.

On 2/16/2022 at 7:29 PM, Jacqueline3 said:

Hello Everyone.  I have thought of you all often.   Jolene is doing much better but has a very long way to go.   I am worried about her.  I am crumbling beneath Garrett's loss.... It is so much harder for me now and it was never easy.  I miss him so much and can hardly bare to face this horrible life that I do not recognize.  I want my boy to come home, I want Jolene to be okay!  I do not know how to cope with Garrett's loss and my fear for Jolene.  I started seeing a therapist but I never want to go and she just irritates me.... she doesn't talk much and she;s so soft spoken.  She seems like a really good therapist but I have no idea how this is going to help.   I'm sorry everyone... I am not dealing well.   I miss my boy and I am so worried about Jolene.

Believe me I understand your pain. I want my boy back too. I'm always here anytime you need to vent, cry whatever. 

• Members

I'm sending love and prayers to you all. I have had a horrible time since Ty's service 1/22 and his passing on Christmas morning. I try to function but sometimes it's impossible.  A little at a time, I guess. Having Tys urn home has given me some peace, Michael. I chat with him often. I don't know your plans but bring your chiId home. 

I see a therapist along with Ty's girls and it seems to help, keep talking to yours Jacqueline.

The kids help keep me focused but they struggle too. Both girls are home schooled and they are having trouble focusing on their work, I understand completely. My work is suffering also.

I send my prayers and love to all of you. Karen

• Members

Morning to all, we are covered in ice here and I cannot help but think that is how I feel inside.   Right now, six months after I lost my precious Garrett, I cannot see life changing from this horrific ache and suffocating sadness.  I do not know how to live this hateful life.   I know that you have all felt this futile hopelessness.  I am drowning in pain and sorrow.  I have therapy today and even that seems like a waste of time.  Jolene is hanging in there but she is not great either.  Sorry for just spewing all.  .

• Members

Hi Jacqueline,

We are also covered in ice, snow and frigid cold temperature.  Yes that is a perfect description of our hearts.  This is a very difficult path, one that feels impossible.  I don't know what choice we have but to try and keep trying.  Take each day as its comes.  Sometimes I do ok, and other times I stay in bed.  Yesterday I decided to clean and found a children's book that was on my bookshelf of saved books.  I looked at it and thought why do I have this book.  When I opened it there was a letter from my middle son Sean, who is still with me, and I lost it, I could not stop crying.  Everyday is a challenge, I just keep trying for my other two boys especially.  They need me and I need them.  I keep thinking what if they gave up, unbearable to even think, so I cannot give up either.

I hope Jolene starts feeling better, that would be so wonderful.

AFEDFD23-A3AF-40D6-949E-1DA387BF869D_1_201_a.jpeg

• Hugs 1

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

just keep "spewing it all" !!!! that is what all of us here are here for......read about all the spewing !!! i hate to bring this up but we are at a very nice 78° right now. 

i had a rough day yesterday and some nostalgia today.... feeling sorry for myself for not having my son around. today i had to do stuff that was B´s department and of course i felt like crap (forgive the french) but, i miss him so much ....,.i can not believe that april 14 will be 1 year since B left us , and their is not a moment, in which i can recall, that he is not in my mind. 

so trust me jacqueline we all feel the same way , and we are here to share those exactly same feelings. 

is jolene improving?

• Members

I cannot seem to help myself of late.   God, I miss Garrett, it is a constant ache and agony all wrapped into one horrible feeling.  His room is losing his smell and I can hardly bear it.   I am with you Michael there is not a moment Garrett is not in my thoughts and heart.   Jolene is improving but it will be a slow process but I am so thankful that she is here with us.  She is so thin and small, it is heart breaking.  the time goes so damned fast... it has been six months for us already yet it feels both like just yesterday and and an agonizing eternity.  Is B home with you now?   Love and prayers to you all..

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

yes he is...... it is a bit more bearable , but it is a worst feeling that nobody besides us can understand..... may i ask how old is jolene? 

• Members

I do understand Michael,  I just had to get new glasses and I put my prescriptions in Garrett's frames and I have not taken off three of the bracelets he made me when he was welding.   I do understand, this driving need to be close to them.   Jolene is 28, which is hard to believe.  Garrett would have just turned 23 in January and Gillian is 25.  I know it is hard for her to be home with us but until she is physically back on her feet, she has agreed to stay. 

• Members
larry hirschhorn

I have not been on this thread for some time. I was not quite ready to join you. I lost my son Aaron, age 42, to a boating accident about a year ago. Jacqueline, for me, I  think the sorrow is forever. In my darkest moments I imagine welcoming death to relieve myself of the psychic pain. But I am reminded of my obligations to others to continue to live. And in those moments when I can engage directly in the flow of events I can find my daily pleasures; caring for the grandkids, doing useful work as a teacher and coach, comforting my wife. But I have come to believe that there is a sense in which a tragedy of our kind does isolate us. This despite the fact that children and young adults die unexpectedly every day. Strange. Perhaps this goes back to the thought that, as our friends often tell us, the death of a child is "unimaginable." In other words, people can't and won't imagine it. And we have to live it. 

• Members

You are right Larry, I do not believe this pain will every go away either.   This agony as, horrible and as dreadful and painful as it is,,, is the counterpart of the full, rich, everlasting, overwhelming love we have for our children.   Our love and our grief are now synonymous because of the horrible tragedy of losing our beloved children.  We would not be suffering this agonizing, pain if we did not love our children so very much.   Perhaps in time our love will embrace the pain in such a way to make this agony easier to carry but at the moment that seems impossible to me.  I cry out to my Garrett all the time, missing him and loving him.  My thoughts, love and prayers are with all of you tonight...

• Members

I realize my phone barely rings and I don't get many texts anymore. Ty was my very best cheerleader and best friend, not only my son. The loneliness is unbelievable,  even in a house filled with people. I try to  connect with his girls and they aren't responding,  they struggle with their own depression.  My therapist says to plan something,  anything,  to look forward to but who do I go with and where...this feels horrible.  I know I'm not suffering alone but it sure feels that way. I needed to vent, thank you. 

Hang on my friends 

• Members

I feel the same way,,, alone in a room full of people..  You are not alone... Garrett was a rock and he was always there for his Mum good or bad and I was there for him just as I do for my girls   My life is so alien and unrecognizable, I don't even know how to navigate it. and I have no desire to.    I hate everything, even as i am trying to be there for the girls and for Joe.   It is just all feels off and wrong....

I am thinking of you all...

• Members
Mason’s Mom

We have had ice and snow here as well. Staying indoors and gloomy days are so hard.  My way of dealing with grief has been to stay busy and on the go. My daughter Morgan is having some health issues and I find myself struggling to pray for her healing. I feel almost as if I will have a panic attack because my prayer for Mason wasn't answered in the way I expected. It feels like our family has had so many struggles and I just want to find peace and comfort. 

The world seems to be falling apart and I struggle to find a way to look forward. I am trying so hard to provide my loved ones with the best version of my old self and I am falling short. 

Carol

• Members

Dearest Carol,  I hear you... I feel like I am falling short too.   And how the hell do I trust in God when he took my boy!....  I am struggling with agonizing pain and with so much rage.  I am praying for your daughter Morgan, I hope she is back on her feet soon...

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

guys ,i do not want to get into religious beliefs. ..im not very religious but try too.....its hope that someday i will be with B again that keeps me going

• Members

I am sorry Michael, I am very angry inside.   But  the only thing that is keeping me semi-sane is the belief that I will see Garrett Again.  I am sorry again for allowing my rage to run free.  

Jackie

• Members

All..

Sometimes I'm angry but mostly I'm just empty. I sit on the sofa and just stare at the TV never really knowing what's on. I lost my motivation and joy when I lost my son and I'm  not sure how, or if, I'll get it back.    I know Ty would hate this! He was always on he go and busy. The loss of a child is unimaginable! I have my, his, kids to keep me going but right now I'm just going through the process of surviving. Survivors guilt?  Does this pass? I see his girls in the same place I am in. We are stuck in this cycle of never-ending sadness. 

I looked at places to go on vacation or just do an overnight as the therapist suggested but couldn't do anything but think of past family trips, now I have a migraine.  Even the things we need to do to help ourselves are not worth the effort.  Maybe I'll plan a lunch with a friend, baby steps.

I am doing a lot of venting and am not supportive,  I'm sorry,  I know you all struggle horribly too. ❤ Do you ever do zoom or chats? Karen

• Members

Dear Karen, I have been venting a lot of late too... I am sorry to everyone if I have made your suffering worse.  I am angry yet sadness and a hopelessness of life in general consumes me all the time... How do I live my life without one of my children, without Garrett and all of the unique, special things he gave to all of those around him... How do I get past this rage that my son was cheated out of his life?   I don't know, so many emotions all the time and a life that I do not recognize and hate....I too am just going through the emotions and at times I can barely even do that.   I am on my knees and joy or happiness are foreign concepts....  I die a little more each day and as much as I keep telling myself my girls and husband need me, I feel like I am failing them as well.

I am sorry everyone if I have made things worse for you...

• Members

I don't think anyone on this site is making this more difficult or worse for anyone.  We all probably feel the same, it's okay to vent, it's okay to feel horrible, sad, guilty, hopeless.  When I read the posts, I feel bad for everyone....it doesn't make me feel worse, it just makes me sad that everyone is going through the same pain I am.  This is it.....this is our new life.  It seems so surreal to think I will never see my daughter again; I will never be able to share my day to day "stuff' with her.  I feel I will struggle every day; I feel I will be sad every day.  I go back and forth between anger and sadness.  I know I will always think about her, how can I not?  I am changed, I will be changed forever. I wish I had words to help everyone, I wish our pain would lessen, I would do anything to help us all through this journey.  All I can say is I am here to listen; I am sorry, and I know how you all feel.  Maybe we need that, to know that someone knows how we feel.  Dee Dee  

• Members

thank you Dee Dee, perhaps you are right... these feelings are horrible and so very lonely.  Everything you said is how I feel... Knowing someone understands that pain is comforting even as it makes me sad that any of us have to suffer through this...

My love and thoughts are with all of you tonight..

Jackie

• Members
Mason’s Mom

Please don't feel you are making the rest of us uncomfortable or upset. This is why we are all here. Sometimes we just need to get things 9ff our chests and believe me I believe most of us understand. 

I don't feel I felt rage, just a deep sadness a Sometimes the emptiness.

Peace and comfort, 

Carol

• Members
Danielle Masata

Roseypal, thanks for posting the page of a book.  I loved being an elementary school teacher and especially enjoy all those books.  I totally relate to your post.  There are moments when I just want to lose it. I am so, so, so desperately sad now without my dear husband is not here to share my pain (to those who may not have known: my son Patrick died in Jan 2021 and a week and a year later, my husband died January 2022).  But I know my two surviving boys could never survive another loss.  I have tried to be their anchor, and they are becoming much more open and kind to me as well.

• Members

Good Morning All,

Today is especially tough, everyday is tough, however today is a trigger for me, which is making it very hard, its Mike's widows Birthday.  She posted pics last night of her out celebrating, and though I realize she needs to go forward with her life, it really hit me hard.  I will never spend another Birthday with my Son.  It's just so hard to know that.  I'm not mad at her or anything, I am just super sad today.  I wish he was still here.  

Cathy

• Members

I am sorry Roseypal, I would be upset as well.   It is very difficult for me as well to realize people are going on without Garrett and to me it feels like they do not care.   I do not go one step in a day without thinking of my boy and miss him and cry for him.   How are you Now?   I am here if you would like to talk more...  I am sorry... Garrett's birthday just passed... he would have been 23.  

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

cathy, i can imagine was real tough, but reality is that only us,the parents , the ones that will suffer forever. when nikki was born , my mom told me and i will never forget her words, " son ,last nite was the last nite you had a peaceful sleep,here on out you will worry about your kids forever". so wise and so true!!!

• Members
Mason’s Mom

Cathy, I am so sorry you saw her celebrating. That had to hurt you so much. 

Michael very profound words from your mom. 

• Members
Jacqueline3

I have been thinking of everyone today and hoping you have found a few moments of quiet and semi-peace.... This has been an exceptionally difficult day for me.... I cannot ever see myself beyond this pit of despair.  

• Members
Danielle Masata

Tysmama, "Sometimes I'm angry but mostly I'm just empty. I sit on the sofa and just stare at the TV never really knowing what's on. I lost my motivation and joy when I lost my son and I'm  not sure how, or if, I'll get it back."... sometimes that's enough.  All this is a new change, not wanted, and a devastating shock.  Please know that just sitting is enough.  I remember doing that, day after day.  I'd go to bed so late and fortunately my dear husband never bothered to ask me what kept up so late at night, because it was nothing but sitting.  Everything took me sooo long.  You'll get past this stage and find other activities that can fill your day, but don't feel you have to do a whole lot as you are still adjusting.  And also, there's no timetable as to when you might feel ready to move ...

• Like 1

• Members

Daniele, thank you, I needed to hear that. Not much movement today either but I will try not give it much thought or room in my head.  Grief certainly isn't easy for any of us. Love and prayers to you all. Night. Karen