Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How to start again?

Nicholeg89

• Members

I lost my mom in April to lymphoma. She was given a positive diagnosis and my family and I believed she would pull through. When she passed I was taken so off guard it's been hard to recover. I am having a hard time getting back to normal things. I just started going back to school, but haven't been able to get back to work yet because of my depression. How do you get back the courage to do the normal things once more?

• Members

I lost my mom in April to lymphoma. She was given a positive diagnosis and my family and I believed she would pull through. When she passed I was taken so off guard it's been hard to recover. I am having a hard time getting back to normal things. I just started going back to school, but haven't been able to get back to work yet because of my depression. How do you get back the courage to do the normal things once more?

Nicholeg,

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I know it is difficult, but the only way to get the courage is to take a deep breath and just simply do it. It will be hard, but hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised that it may actually help to go to work or start your "normal" things again. I know normal will never be the same, but in time, you will feel a new kind of "normal."

Please feel free to share your story. We will be here waiting.

ModKonnie

• Members

I don't know how you do it, but you just do. It's hard, and tough, and somedays almost impossible. I lost my father in April and it was very sudden and painful. I miss him every single day. I try to really focus on the good things in my life and cherish special moments. But it is not easy. And it will take time. Do you have someone you can talk with- a friend, family member? And we are here on this discussion board to listen and offer you encouragement. Keep sharing- it helps. Wishing you peace.

• Members
stillfighting431

I'm so sorry for your loss.I lost my mom on 24.7.2011.We too were told everyday that she was doing better & we thought that with all our care & medical help she would recover.And one day without a warning she was just gone.

I feel your pain.I live with mine 24/7 sometimes I can keep it away but it usually comes back with a venegance and tears me to bits.When you lose someone so precious to you ,you lose a part of yourself.You feel sad,angry,shocked,empty,depressed,desperate & lost.You've to reinvent yourself because you can't go back to who you were before ,that person is gone with her,so normal is out of the window.

But I believe you can & you must find the strength inside you to carry on as best as can.

What I do everyday is try to imagine what my mom would tell me ,what she would want me to do.So I just push back my tears,empty my mind of all thoughts & try to lose myself in my work & household chores.It's very hard ,everyday is another battle,but don't give up soldier.Take courage from the fact that are thousands like us out there fighting depression daily,just trying to make it from one day to the next.

• Members

• Members

Thank you for everyone's words of encouragement. Just this past week I have found the strength to feel better. I almost lost my boyfriend of 7 years because I was putting all my grief and frustration out on him. He was the next closest person to me after my mom passed and when I realized I could loose him, I automatically built up the courage to live my life again. I began to confide in other friends and family. I'm really starting to live again and honestly a lot of credit goes to this online grief support group. Just sharing my pain and seeing that I'm not alone has made my future look mug more optimistic. So my advice is to share your grief to anyone who will listen because the more people you feel are there for you, the better you will heal.

Archived