Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sunnydaysaregone

• Members
Sunnydaysaregone

Almost a week ago i lost my cat, Sunny. He was the first cat who was truly mine. I’m going to tell a story here, cause it might make me feel better. I got Sunny as a teenager. My father and i had been watching a program about kittens and i saw this designer breed, (they looked like white bengals with smaller spots/stripes). I told my Dad i wanted one. He said that if i cleaned my room and kept it clean for a week, i could have one. My room was always a mess because I didn’t care too much about it. But i cleaned that room, kept it clean for a whole week and showed him up. So he went looking for a cat. He never meant the designer breed. My Mom ended up finding him. Her friend was allergic to her new cat, fresh from the shelter. She was giving him away to a good home with his pedestal/scratching post/hiding hole and all the food she bought. Mom said if i kept my room clean until Sunday, he was mine. He wasn’t the cat i wanted, wasn’t even as young as i wanted. But i said yes, and ever since I’m so glad i did. I kept my room clean, they got brought him home, i let him out of his kennel in my room and left him be. In an hour, he was in my lap, pinning my book. We were best friends from that moment. I loved him more than i had ever loved anything before. Without him, i never would have had a reason to need to join the work force. I mean, sure at some point my parents would have gotten really mad about me not working, but I don’t think i’d have cared. I was so scared of the world then, getting scareder every day now. I was depressed before i got him, and contemplating suicide. I wanted a pet to depend on me. He did, and he kept me alive. He was my world. He was 7 then. Years past, and he and i moved around alot. Mom and Dad got divorced in my senior year. So after the summer ended after graduation, we moved in with Mom and her boyfriend. A year later we moved back in with Dad, this time having acquired a partner. Then a year later we moved into our own place, me with my partner and Sunny had gotten a new brother. Sunny didn’t really like Toothless much at all. But he ate better than he ever had, and having a kitten around revitalized Sunny. However it never stopped his grumpy attitude. But he was always gentle and i could pick him up whenever i wanted. He complained and purred at the same time alot. He lived to be 15, his birthday being last November. He and I shared 8 great years together. He suffered a heart attack earlier this month and we had to put him down on Tuesday. Hardest decision i have ever made. But he’s not suffering now. My biggest regret is that I didn’t get more time with him. We may have found each other when we needed each other most, but I can’t help feeling robbed. I miss him so much, everyday. 

320D82C6-883B-46A5-96A9-66B35F604859.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Even ttough I'm old now, I can relate to what you say, for I met Kitty when she was tten and acquired her when she was 12.  She lived to be 25.  She was cantankerous, but I understood her, I knew her backstory and I promised her a forever home, where she would never be abandoned again!  And I gave it to her.  The night before she died she came and snuggled with me, purring, that was a rarity.  It's as if she was thanking me for the life I gave her and telling me she loved me too.

My heart goes out to you in your loss.  They are amazing incentive to live and take care of ourselves, if not for us, for them.  My son brought me a puppy, Kodie, and I am doing everything in my power to ensure I'm around well into my 80s to take care of him.  
Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Like 1