Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Anyone here lose one or both parents, as a child?

Deidre68

• Members

Just wondering if anyone here has lost one or both parents as a kid. My dad died of cancer when I was a kid, and my mom, that same year, in a car wreck. I have grown up with a profound fear of loss. And I have a lot of anger, still. I would just like to extend myself to anyone here who's been through this, and get to know you. Maybe we can help each other. I want to stop being so angry over this. I'm 40--this anger has been going on for too long. :mellow:

• Members

I understand, I am 31, and I lost my mother suddenly when I was 13. I never wanted to really grief and I feel the older I get now the more I have to deal with it.

I feel fear to love, I feel constantly fear that anything could happen to anybody in my life.

I don't feel anger but I feel very scared by life....

I understand.

Of course what happened to you is extremely sad, to loose both parents so close to each other...do you have any siblings?

Why are you feeling anger? Do you know where that is coming from?

Anger at them or anger that life is so unfair?

Sending you warm thoughts.

Just wondering if anyone here has lost one or both parents as a kid. My dad died of cancer when I was a kid, and my mom, that same year, in a car wreck. I have grown up with a profound fear of loss. And I have a lot of anger, still. I would just like to extend myself to anyone here who's been through this, and get to know you. Maybe we can help each other. I want to stop being so angry over this. I'm 40--this anger has been going on for too long. :mellow:

• Members

My father was lost to the ocean a month before I was born. I am 58. I lost my mother couple years ago to lung cancer. I understand your anger.

At 30, I "came out of the closet" with this anger. It was ruining my life and family then. Then again at 45.

I feel it not so much anymore. Time has healed some. I think when I lost my mother, it healed some. I always wanted to protect my mother,

kept her away from men until I was 19. Then I was 'testing my wings' as a single girl when feminism was in. So I 'let her go'. She was a companion

for 33 years to a very good man, whom I learned to love as time went on. He passed away in 2001. Again my mom was 'left behind'.

To date, I want to believe that I'll meet my biological father some day. I wish you healing. Your parents will always be with you anywhere, anytime.

They never leave you.

• Members
Dancing with Daddy

Dear Deidre,

Hi. I am so sorry for your loss at such a young age. My father died when I was three years old, and I too have never gotten over it. I went to bed one night, and in the morning my mother gathered my two sisters around her, and told us he had died during the night of a heart attack. This was many years ago. After that, my mom closed down, and would not talk about him, and became very withdrawn so it was like losing both parents at once. She never got over it, and I have never come to terms with it. Everything was different, and colored by the fact that we did not have a father. At a time when divorce was not as common, and a having a parent pass away so young was also not the norm, instead of realtives, and friends stepping up to help, we often were ostricised, or just left out. It definitely affected our personalities. Although, I was so young, I could not grive openly, I have grieved silently all of my life, and it has left a hole that has never been filled. My mother recently passed away, 3 weeks ago, and the grief is much more on the surface. I don't know how this will all play out in the end, or which is worse.

Today, I pray that my mom is once again united with the only man she ever loved. I pray that they are dancing, and I espically pray that I have made them proud.

Take care Deidre.

Connie (dancing with daddy)

Archived