Afraid of losing Mom

beth9206

• Members

Now that my Daddy has passed away,I am terrified of also losing my Mom.She's not in the best of health and now lives by herself,and I check on her everyday.And since Daddy died,I have been giving her a kiss and telling her I love her every time I leave her,and I never used to do that.I think losing him is going to make us closer.Too bad it took something like this to make that happen.I know it has to happen someday,just like it did with my Dad,but I hope it is not for awhile.I couldn't stand losing her so soon after my Daddy.

Does anyone else here have the same fear I have,of losing your other parent?

• Members

so sorry for the loss of your dad. I understand your fears. My dad passed away 5 1/2 years ago and I always expected mom to follow. Her health did go down due to accident and heart failure, and I worry I will lose her. She now lives with me.

It sounds like your doing the right things my friend. Telling her everytime you see you that you love her and kiss her.. is great... she may last a very long time, we have no time table. It is hard to go on with living a normal life as I see from you profile and I hope that you continue to have strength. I have tried to teach my kids that you need to treat each day as it is your last, don't be cruel.. because we never know how long we do have.

• Members

Hi Beth, yes I had exactly the same fear as you when I lost my dad just over 4 months ago, I worried so much that my mother would pass away quite quickly without the love of her life by her side. She often did say that she wanted to die so she could be with my dad which used to upset me greatly. Lately though, my mother has shown how tough she is as I've been incredibly sick and she has been my carer, without her I would've been totally lost.

I don't fear losing my mum like I did in the first couple of months after dad died but I still do give it some thought on occasion and death is now a subject that we openly talk about where as before we stuck our heads in the sand and didn't acknowledge that it happens to us all.

Like you said, it has brought us all closer, Mum and I had never said the 'love' word to each other but the other day we did as if we both knew it was something long overdue to be said.

Take care and I am so sorry for your loss.

Dmc44

• Members

Now that my Daddy has passed away,I am terrified of also losing my Mom.She's not in the best of health and now lives by herself,and I check on her everyday.And since Daddy died,I have been giving her a kiss and telling her I love her every time I leave her,and I never used to do that.I think losing him is going to make us closer.Too bad it took something like this to make that happen.I know it has to happen someday,just like it did with my Dad,but I hope it is not for awhile.I couldn't stand losing her so soon after my Daddy.

Does anyone else here have the same fear I have,of losing your other parent?

Hi Beth,

When my father died, I was terrified that my mother would pass. All of my siblings were also just as afraid, so I am sure the fear is normal. I kept reassuring myself and talked to others about my fears. I think you are doing a great thing by continually telling your mother you love her. I am sure she appreciates it as much as you love saying it to her.

ModKonnie

Archived