Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Time to organize his personal things

AlwaysTogether

• Members
AlwaysTogether

I hate to have to move things from the house. But I cannot prolonging too longer. I need a room free because I cannot pay the entire house myself. And that means... yes! after 2 months he passed is still hard have to open the closet. I smell daily his clothes afraid to ir lose his smell.

how suppose I move his things, or give to somebody? It’s just not right. I want he coming and wear his clothes, I don’t want to put it away. I definitely will keep things, but that doesn’t mean I want to put away another part. And **** charity in this case (I am a giving person, but I just don’t want to give it to anybody ).

some advices?

• Moderators

I'm not sure I understand what room you are "freeing" or the part about paying for the entire house. ?  Do you mean you need to rent a room? Didn't you both use the same closet?

I would do whatever you can that makes you feel better, at least for now. Keep whatever you want to keep. Some day you may be willing to give some away as you may find it's harder to have them there than not. 

• Members

AlwaysTogether,

It is so hard to organize your loved ones things.  I suggest that you have several boxes or plastic bags.  Look at each item. touch it, and then decide, if it is keep, wait, or donate.

Put the items in the appropriate bag/box.  Then step away for awhile.  Once his closet is empty hang your things.

The for sure keep clothes hang, then cover clothes and hangers tightly with a large bag (like a tall kitchen trash bag and hang back up.  

The wait and decide items bag/box up and store, under your bed is a good place.  You can look at those items later. 

Finally bag/box up the donate items, but before you do anything with them wait a day or so incase you change your mind.  Donate his items to the best charity you know.

In my opinion you should take all the time you have to sort through things and change your mind as much as you want.  You might also consider asking family if they want any of the donate items before you part with them.

• Members
AlwaysTogether

Thank you very much, has been very useful, today I am going to buy box and bags and I will start. Will be so hard.

keep, wait or donate

• Moderators

Do you have a place you can store the boxes until a later time?  George died on 6/19 and on 7/4 his closet rod broke, dumping all his clothes on the floor.  I thought, okay, guess it's time to do something.  I boxed them up, saving out cherished ones to keep.  I still have his robe hanging on the hook next to mine and hold it sometimes.  It brings me comfort.  I kept our matching shirt/jackets but gave his dress suede jacket that matched mine to my SIL...now he's divorcing my daughter and I regret giving it to him.  :angry:

The rest of his clothes/shoes I packed up and donated to Sponsor's, an organization that helps newly released prisoners in their adaption to society, helping them find jobs, learn how to get transportation, housing them until they can transition on their own, and providing rehab/counseling all to help them succeed in changing.  They get regular drug testing, have curfew and structure, which is key to their success.  They have to "qualify" and apply to be part of it.  George always had a heart for down and outers, trying to help them with a hand up, I just knew that is where he'd want it to go.  I waited a couple of months before I donated them.

One suggestion, put something with his smell into a ziploc bag, they lose their odor relatively quickly, I learned that too late the hard way.  :(

Archived