Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My son died suddenly on Christmas Eve

Trebor222

• Members

He was recovering from Covid 19 and was doing really well until he didn’t respond to a call and several texts. When I found him he was gone as if asleep in his bed. He was serene. My world collapsed. Fortunately my wife was with me, waiting in our car. We both are having a difficult time. We were on the very best of terms with our son. He loved us and we loved him. He was brilliant and so kind to everyone. People told us both how strong we were for his service. That was the easy part for us. Finding enough strength to continue is getting more and more challenging. We have seen our doctors and have support from family. I remain numb. 

• Members

Trebor222, I am so sorry about your son.  I know you and your wife are heartbroken, and there is nothing right now that is going to make you feel better.  I count it a blessing that he passed away in his sleep and was serene - perhaps that is of some comfort to you.  Knowing that you were on the very best of terms, that he knew he was loved, and you know he loved you...that is priceless.  My son passed away a little more than 3 years ago.  It has been extremely hard finding the will to go on living without him.  I have a loving and supportive family, but losing a child is a soul crushing experience.  All I can say is that you have to give it time - it doesn't get "better" and there is no "closure" that I know of, but you will begin to learn how to live with it.  As much as I love my family and friends, it has been people who have also lost children who have helped me the most.  I also found a counselor who has been a God send.  I am a Christian, so it has been helpful to me to believe this tragedy has meaning (even if I don't know what it is now) and that I will definitely see my son again.  I wish you and your wife all he best.  It is a lonely journey.

• Members
He was recovering from Covid 19 and was doing really well until he didn’t respond to a call and several texts. When I found him he was gone as if asleep in his bed. He was serene. My world collapsed. Fortunately my wife was with me, waiting in our car. We both are having a difficult time. We were on the very best of terms with our son. He loved us and we loved him. He was brilliant and so kind to everyone. People told us both how strong we were for his service. That was the easy part for us. Finding enough strength to continue is getting more and more challenging. We have seen our doctors and have support from family. I remain numb. 

I am so terribly sorry... we are all in this terrible fog and numbness together....lean on us for comfort and understanding [emoji3590]

Archived