Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my little friend

MGR

• Members

I lost my cat on Monday and I am devastated. She was almost 5 years old and a beautiful and funny little cat. She was the highlight of my life. 

I just want to sleep and I don’t want to eat. I miss here so so much. 

My previous cat died when he was 15 years old. He was very ill. This was also extremely sad, but eventually I got to terms with the fact that he was in “a better place”. This is not the case when the cat is almost five years old and living her best life. Then the best place is here, with me. 

The fact that she got hit by a car is extremely tough to swallow. We don’t live next to a road with very much traffic. It is not very far from one boardwalk to the other. If only she had waited a little bit longer before crossing. If only the car had seen her and stopped. 

Every day waking up realizing she is not here is a nightmare. I miss her so much and I can’t really believe she’s gone. I never thought this could happen. 

Have anyone else experienced this? How did you handle it? I don’t know how to. 

• Moderators

I am so so sorry!  Sudden loss is so difficult to assimilate, and all the more so when they're still young.  I wish you some comfort and peace.  

• Moderators
Just now, KayC said:

I hope you allow yourself the gift of patience & understanding and kindness as you go through this process.  
Creating a memorial can help channel some positivity into this situation.  Write a letter to her, buy a memorial stone or special urn, have a place in your house where you have her picture, collar, paw print, lock of fur, or other memorabilia.  I still have the sympathy cards up on my dining room table from over a year ago!  I didn't receive any for my cat.  People don't begin to realize how close is our relationship and how much it changes our everyday lives.

• Members

Thank you for your kind words. That is a beautiful poem! And thank you for all the good suggestions, she will get a special urn and a stone. I will make her a beautiful resting place. 

I know, there are so many people who do not understand the bond and love between a pet and the owner. But luckily there are people like you and me, and we know exactly how strong that bond is. 

My cat really was the highlight of my days and my life will be much more empty without her. 

• Moderators

I've used Personal Creations for the stones for years, you can google promo codes and there's usually one you can use.  They're very affordable and do a great job, my oldest one is 13 years old and doesn't show any signs of weather damage.

18 hours ago, MGR said:

My cat really was the highlight of my days and my life will be much more empty without her.

For sure it changes our lives more than anyone could ever imagine.

• Members
Collettesweetbear

Hi MGR,

I’m so sorry for your loss. I apologize I have been sick and just now able to read and respond. How are you doing since you last connected with KayC. She is so thoughtful and is a truly caring person. She has gotten me through some really bad days. My baby scooter 17 years old past January 28, 2020. She slept with me every night And, regarded her my true little baby girl. I am still devastated and grieving going 9 months now. It still feels like it happened yesterday. I couldn’t eat or sleep or anything. I actually didn’t even had to deal with the Covid because I don’t leave my apartment. I just order groceries online and they mail me my meds. So, basically I don’t go outside except when I have to go doctor. I’m so sorry you’re going through so much. The unbearable pain. I guess grief is an individual process. I have a friend, her dog past 7 years ago. She said she has gone through the grieving process but, she still tears up every once in a while. I guess the loss gets a bit easier but, i still am having troubles with her being gone. She was the best cat in the world and she was my comfort cat because I’ve major depression all my life. I hope you will be kind to yourself. I’m trying my best. I slip and fall off the wagon into grief but, I force myself to forge through it. You’re in my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Collettesweetbear said:

I have been sick and just now able to read and respond.

So sorry to hear this, but glad you're feeling well enough to be back!

• Members
Collettesweetbear

Thank you KayC,
Much improved, still have that stubborn cough. I hope you are doing well. Keep safe.

• Moderators

Sorry I wasn't here yesterday, I fell while running on asphalt...the asphalt won.  I landed on my cheekbone and my knee, got my hands that already need surgery badly, tweaked my back & shoulder, toe, arm, and broke my glasses...then when I went out of town to the dermatologist and my doctor to check my injuries, someone did a hit and run on my car in the parking lot, no surveillance.  It was one of those days, I really wanted ice cream so stopped at the store and they were completely out of sugar free as they had the lowest price I'd ever seen (insult to injury!) and my favorite Bratwurst went up $1.70.  Was gone all day and deluged with phone calls from family & a friend wanting to know how I fared.  Long day!  The swelling originally stuck out an inch and was several inches long...knee not looking good either.

DSCN1016.JPG

• Members

Oh my gosh @KayC what a day!! I hope you are healing okay?? Please take care and be careful out there!

• Members

On 10/8/2020 at 4:26 AM, Collettesweetbear said:

Hi MGR,

I’m so sorry for your loss. I apologize I have been sick and just now able to read and respond. How are you doing since you last connected with KayC. She is so thoughtful and is a truly caring person. She has gotten me through some really bad days. My baby scooter 17 years old past January 28, 2020. She slept with me every night And, regarded her my true little baby girl. I am still devastated and grieving going 9 months now. It still feels like it happened yesterday. I couldn’t eat or sleep or anything. I actually didn’t even had to deal with the Covid because I don’t leave my apartment. I just order groceries online and they mail me my meds. So, basically I don’t go outside except when I have to go doctor. I’m so sorry you’re going through so much. The unbearable pain. I guess grief is an individual process. I have a friend, her dog past 7 years ago. She said she has gone through the grieving process but, she still tears up every once in a while. I guess the loss gets a bit easier but, i still am having troubles with her being gone. She was the best cat in the world and she was my comfort cat because I’ve major depression all my life. I hope you will be kind to yourself. I’m trying my best. I slip and fall off the wagon into grief but, I force myself to forge through it. You’re in my thoughts.

Hi Collette,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Better late than never! 

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your loss and so sad to hear about you struggling with depression. Have you thought about adopting a new cat? I know it may seem impossible at the moment, but for me it helped five years ago when I lost my first cat. He died when he was 15 years old. I found comfort in taking in a new little cat. Maybe this can be of comfort for you as well? <3 

This time I do not think it will help. My little angel was too young to die and I can't imagine ever being able to adopt a new cat. I will miss her so much for so long, because she was supposed to be here for many years to come. I am not doing well. I have had a coulpe of days feeling almost numb and this gave me a little bit of relief. However, it did not last long. I can't sleep and I can't think about anything other than my cat. Honestly I don't know how to go on with my life and I don't even know if I want to. I just want her back. I feel so sorry for her, she should be alive living her life right know. She was such a healthy, young and happy little cat. It breaks my heart. 

I still don't understand how she could get hit by a car. I thought she had learned by now how to handle traffic. 

Lastly, I have to agree about KayC, she truly is amazing! 

• Members
Collettesweetbear

KayC,
Oh, my gosh, you poor thing! Look at the size of your bruise! I am so sorry. And, sounds like you had a heck of a day. Everything went south on you. I hope you’re ok? You have a lot of injuries. I hope you are able to get some rest. Please let us know how you’re coming along.

• Members
Collettesweetbear

MGR, how are you doing today or night? I’m having some very low days. I just like you said, am thinking what do I do now? I try to not think about her so much now until I can somehow get through it but, her little face pops in without warning and the tear button is pushed and I just bust out crying. I miss her so much. I just can’t believe it sometimes. I loved her so much and still do. She loved me so much and still does. Love never dies. Try to rest your mind for a little while. I guess we are all in this unbearable pain right night. We just have to hang on. We will get through this horrible pain of grief. It takes time and we have to let it come and we cry and cry and we have our baby in our heart. Not sure when I could even think about another cat. Maybe one day I can get a little friend but, right now I’m paralyzed and numb. I sure miss her. You miss your baby too. You’re in my thoughts.

• Members
6 hours ago, Collettesweetbear said:

MGR, how are you doing today or night? I’m having some very low days. I just like you said, am thinking what do I do now? I try to not think about her so much now until I can somehow get through it but, her little face pops in without warning and the tear button is pushed and I just bust out crying. I miss her so much. I just can’t believe it sometimes. I loved her so much and still do. She loved me so much and still does. Love never dies. Try to rest your mind for a little while. I guess we are all in this unbearable pain right night. We just have to hang on. We will get through this horrible pain of grief. It takes time and we have to let it come and we cry and cry and we have our baby in our heart. Not sure when I could even think about another cat. Maybe one day I can get a little friend but, right now I’m paralyzed and numb. I sure miss her. You miss your baby too. You’re in my thoughts.

I feel exactly the same way! Especially the part with trying to go on with my day and not think about her too much, but it does not help. I do think about her all the time and I have a tear button as well. I can't believe it either and miss her so much. 

I am having some very low days as well. I am having trouble sleeping and when I eventually fall asleep it is due to exhaustion after crying for hours. Waking up the next morning is also painful and my mood is as low as the night before. I sometimes panick when I try to fall asleep, because I think about her so much and the thought of not seeing her again is ruining me. 

I also believe we will get through this, but right now it is so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Moderators

I had just about given up and resigned myself to being without a dog the rest of my life when my son brought me Kodie, I'm glad he did.

My knee is healing amazingly fast but my cheekbone is a painful knot, I had to order a replacement lens for my glasses and wow have they gone up in price!  That hurt almost as much as the pain, haha!  The colors on my face are spreading, I look a sight!

Archived