Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

craving to drink cause of my cousin,dadloss

rodney2007

• Members

I have not drank almost 11 yrs now but this is killing me I will be with out my dad this DEC 1 yr and my cousin I cant remember when she died bit I am praying I don't pick the drink up. Thanks

• Members

I have not drank almost 11 yrs now but this is killing me I will be with out my dad this DEC 1 yr and my cousin I cant remember when she died bit I am praying I don't pick the drink up. Thanks

Rodney,

You don't need to drink because it won't solve anything and it won't bring anyone back. Drinking will end up making you feel worse. Instead, is there any grief support group near your home? What about an AA meeting (it may be helpful for you to attend one to talk about your urge to drink again)? Are you getting out at all? Have you isolated yourself? Try taking a walk, or try going to a gym or getting a self-help book on grieving. What about writing poetry? You've got to try to keep yourself busy and moving forward. Do you work? If not, can you consider volunteering--like at the animal shelter or even a prison? Do you have a church community?

You've come 11 years. You've faced tough times in those 11 years. I know this is rough without your Dad and your cousin. You can do this without masking your pain with alcohol. Grieving is hard because it's painful, but just keep going a little at a time. The pain will get better.

Can you write your feelings down or call a friend and talk about the pain of your losses? Why don't you come here more often and simply read if you need to?

I am concerned about you. We do care about you. You are not alone. We will be here to help you.

ModKonnie

• Members

Hey there Rodney

You've come so far without drinking, I know living without someone you love is hard but just continue to take things one day/one hour or one minute at a time. Drinking wont help your grieving, it wont change what's happened even though it might temporarily dull the pain you are feeling at the moment, the pain will still be there whenever you don't drink.

I'm sure your father was incredibly proud of you when you quit drinking and you should also be so proud of yourself for the 11 years of sobriety! Unfortunately none of us can hide from the pain of losing a loved one, we just have to be strong and do the best we can each and every day.

Please be strong Rodney, let us know how you are going and just take things one day at a time.

Dmc44

Archived