Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My beautiful cat died suddenly yesterday and I am so heartbroken

Looby

• Members

I lost my little sidekick Marley yesterday and I’m so devastated.  One moment he was fine and the next he couldn’t walk or move his limbs.  He had high level of potassium in his blood that stopped his little heart.  I feel so guilty I didn’t know he was getting sick.  I should have had regular vet check ups and it would have been caught early.  I love him so much and my heart is broken.

6890BBC4-A69B-49DC-AC97-D53740BC8369.jpeg

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss.  It's so hard to suddenly not have them here with us.  I'm facing one year of my Arlie being gone this Sunday, I bought a memorial bracelet.  I still have sympathy cards up on display on my dining room table, I didn't get any when Kitty died in January.  Arlie's was cancer so people were aware of our journey, whereas Kitty was more sudden, her first sign was on Christmas, then up & down, had her euthanized Jan 6, her kidneys & liver were shut down, it was so quick, she was 25 but no matter how old they are, we miss them.  I knew with my head she couldn't live forever but I guess somehow I expected her to.  :(

It's common to go through the "what ifs" in grief, we're looking for a different possible outcome.  This is normal and not always even reality based.  Sometimes no matter what we could have done it would have the same result.  So hard.
http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

Wishing you some comfort and peace, I know it's hard.

• Members

Today we had to put our almost 20 year old cat, Trinity, to sleep.  I got her from the humane society when she was 8 weeks old and I was just 17.  I’m gutted.  I’ve been crying endlessly for 12 hours now.  We knew she was old and slowing down, she had lost weight and was pretty skinny, but seemed to still be looking for love and food and getting around ok.  A few days ago we noticed she wasn’t eating, so we tried to give her treats and all the things she loved....but she had no interest.  She was still drinking some water, so we watched.  No improvement.  Today while we were loving her up, I noticed her breathing was a bit shorter and a little off.  I knew it couldn’t wait and we had to take her, so I started calling every vet around.  Our vet apparently doesn’t ever do euthanasia until 6:30pm, but I was so worried that my baby was suffering and that I had been blind to that,  We ended up having to take her to an emergency clinic, where they told us that she had fluid in her lungs likely caused by heart failure or cancer.  She usually freaked out when in the car, but she was so calm.  With the Covid situation,we couldn’t be in the room with her which killed us, but when they brought her out after putting the catheter in her little leg, all wrapped up in a blanket, she was still calm, as if she knew, or was tired and ready.  We pet her and told her we loved her and I’m so sad that all she saw of us in our last moments together was tears.  I don’t know what to do without her.  I feel like I can’t breathe and my eyes are so swollen.  A sweet friend of my daughter’s dropped off flowers and all I could do was bawl my eyes out at the thought of my cat not trying to eat them.  I think my heart is actually broken. I know it will get easier, just as it somehow did when we had to do the same with our dog....but man does that ever feel impossible right now.

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  I lost my 25 year old cat, Kitty earlier this year while still grieving the loss of my dog, Arlie...it's been a rough year to say the least.  My Kitty did NOT like car rides but I prayed she'd be calm and she was.  She purred clear up until she keeled over...her kidneys and liver had shut down.  I'm so glad yours went calmly too, I think they do know as they're ready to go and so tired.  

The triggers are many in these early days, I wish there were some way around it, but it's all part of the grief process and our adjustment period.  Getting through this time is so hard and my heart really goes out to you.  I hope you will watch the video I posted above and that it brings you comfort and peace to know she's not suffering and in a good place.  (((hugs)))

Archived