Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad's Bad News

Wolfkissed

• Members

Earlier this morning, my Dad and I were watching a T.V. show when he decided to bring up what the doctors had said about his brain scan,

"They looked at me.. And said, "This is not good, at all.. We need to get this taken care of, now!"

It wasn't long after that, he started to cry, like really cry - I had never seen him like this. It took me a while to realize that he was serious, that he might be able to die, and that's when it hit me too.

I couldn't help, but to come to his side and hold onto him with my dear life. I cried on his shoulder, the same as he did to mine.

I don't really know how to take this kind of news. I'm really scared - probably the worst scared I've ever been in my life. I need some guidance, and please, I request nothing religious. Thank you.

• Members

Earlier this morning, my Dad and I were watching a T.V. show when he decided to bring up what the doctors had said about his brain scan,

"They looked at me.. And said, "This is not good, at all.. We need to get this taken care of, now!"

It wasn't long after that, he started to cry, like really cry - I had never seen him like this. It took me a while to realize that he was serious, that he might be able to die, and that's when it hit me too.

I couldn't help, but to come to his side and hold onto him with my dear life. I cried on his shoulder, the same as he did to mine.

I don't really know how to take this kind of news. I'm really scared - probably the worst scared I've ever been in my life. I need some guidance, and please, I request nothing religious. Thank you.

Wolfkissed,

I am sorry you and your father are going through this. You've made a great start by sharing your concerns with him. I know you are scared. When my father was told he was at the end of his life, I was with him. It was extremely difficult, to say the least. He was in shock, disbelief, anger, guilt and then cried all within minutes. I felt helpless and sick to my core.

One of the things you can do for yourself is to do some searching for information on the internet from reputable sources on how to cope with a progressive or terminal illness. I wasn't sure exactly what your father's medical condition was, so I didn't want to give wrong advice. There are many many websites full of information.

Ask your father if you can go with him to the doctor so he won't be alone and so you will be completely involved and prepared. Make sure he understands everything the doctor is saying to him--his options, etc....

Let him talk all he wants.

Say everything you want to say to him, including "I love you," so he can hear it.

If he is terminal, there is tons of literature available to help both you and him. Hospice Foundationhas wonderful resources to explore that may guide you both.

Ask your father what he wants you to do to help him cope.

Please feel free to come here, and tell your father to come here and post. We will be here to support you both.Let us know what is going on with your father.

ModKonnie

Archived