Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Helping Friends

pinups

• Members

Today I just found out that my Sisters best friends son died in his sleep last night. He was 13. He has autism and had a seizure in his sleep and choked. I don't know what to say to my Sister and to her friends. After reading some of the posts, I really admire all of you for being there for each other and provinding kindness and advice. I could really use some advise on how to help someone else in your life who has lost someone. I fear I will say or do the wrong thing or not do enough.

Thank you

• Members

Hi,

So very sorry to hear about your sister's best friend's loss. The hardest thing for anyone to go through is the death of a child.

I know in my case (my co-worker lost his daughter in a car accident), the most important thing seems to be checking in with him, seeing how he is holding up. It's okay not knowing what to say - and you can even say that (as I did to my co-worker_ - I told him "the right words are hard to find, but I want tyou to know how mcuh I care and that I'm here to help in nay way I can."

I have struggled with not knowing the right things to say or with that maybe I am not doing enough, but others have told me that just being there to listen and checking in a ocuple of times a week helps - espeically as the months go on and people go onwith their lives - the grieiving person still needs support.

I'm sure others will havemore advice, I hope that helps.

God bless!

Brody

• Members

Today I just found out that my Sisters best friends son died in his sleep last night. He was 13. He has autism and had a seizure in his sleep and choked. I don't know what to say to my Sister and to her friends. After reading some of the posts, I really admire all of you for being there for each other and provinding kindness and advice. I could really use some advise on how to help someone else in your life who has lost someone. I fear I will say or do the wrong thing or not do enough.

Thank you

Pinups,

Be willing to listen and be sincere. Talk about your friend's son, and let his parents, family members, talk about him. Let his mother and father grieve openly and as long as they'd like. Be supportive and encouraging as they move forward in this journey.

They will need your support. Thanks for caring,

ModKonnie

Archived