Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Fire in the apartment

Mermaid43

• Members

We ( Me and my bf) are renting an apartment in Toronto. There was a pretty heavy fire in the apartment next door while we were not there. Although we are glad to be alive, many of our items got damaged and we have to clean our apartment and deal with the consequences.

We have been told that firefighters came.  The floor was all wet with some kind of dirty water and the rugs were all drenched. Most of our items have got damage including my boyfriend's clothes and a laptop, which we have left on the floor.

Some maintenance work was done. But, the floors are still dirty. We were cleaning until the last hour, but the apartment still smells very smoky, like burnt plastic. We can't start living in that apartment until we seek help from some professional cleaners.

Should we talk to the building's management office, or to our neighbour? Any advice?

• Moderators

@Mermaid43,

Hello.  I am sorry about your circumstances with the fire.  I can't offer you any legal advice, but from a personal standpoint, I would start with the buildings management office.  They should be able to put you in contact with the appropriate insurance agent.  If you have renters insurance, I would contact your agent as soon as possible as well, they can offer advice provide you with direction moving forward, and may even be able to facilitate filing claims for you even if another insurance company ultimately is responsible.  For my last non professional suggestion, take as many pictures and video as you can documenting any damage, those may prove useful in the long run.  I hope everything works out, and I am sorry you have to deal with this,

Herc

Archived