Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Davidskid326

• Members
Davidskid326

My dad died to me suddenly but he was dealing with the big “C” word for  quite some time. And he hid it from me for a long time up until the day before Father’s Day which was June 16th 2018... my father had a weird sense of humor the call I got from him shook up my whole mind. The call was hey I got some good news and some bad news what do you wanna hear first I said shoot let it out..he said good news is I’m still alive bad news is I have six months to a year to live. At that moment I didnt know what I was hearing surly there had to be bad reception because I didn’t believe I just herd that. But I did and he knew it hurt so he opted to call me back. I called him 4 more times after that. He ensured me he was ok and was doing his best to stay with me. But as time went on his health didn’t get any better and was placed in a vets hospice. I got the call on June 22nd that his health had taken a turn for the worst and that I needed to get to the hospital as quick as I could. I  panicked  The nurse let me know that it would be best if I got there to say good bye..I couldn’t believe it my old man..my best friend would be making his final stage left soon and I was so far away from him, his hospital was 50 miles from where I lived but I hopped in the car and got there as fast as I could and what I was greeted with was anything but good. My dad had lost a lot of weight and due to the cancer spreading around his body he had bloated a lot. I looked past that and still just wanted my dad to be ok. He was hungry so I fed him he needed a bath so I washed him. I sat and talked with him for a while the time came when I had to go home but he was preparing to make his exit as well he had a strange conversation with his mom who has been gone since he was seven. I just took that as he was making his final peace with the fact that he could no longer be here in pain. I kissed him and hugged him and let him know it was ok to get his rest if he was tired he could go on home and that his family would be ok. Something told me that would be the last time I would be with my dad. And I was right I didn’t sleep all that night until the next morning it was about 8 am when I finally got to sleep, only to be woken up to a call telling me my dad had expired (medical term for took his last breath). It was at that moment where I felt like time had truly stopped for me. But what I didn’t know is that I wouldn’t be able to sleep or function until I got everything arranged for his funeral I had to first find his wife who has dementia he was the only one who knew where she was with luck I found her through their old coworkers than I had to get the papers signed the nurses helped me with that. And once it was all done I planed the funeral which was the saddest thing I ever had to do..the funeral was my worst day by far. I stand corrected the the burial was because he was vet and was buried at Calverton I didn’t get to see his plot because they do so many burials in a day we only got a private space to see him one last time. They played taps and presented a flag to me and thanked me and him for his service. But I was still left feeling empty and broken. It’s been 4 weeks and one day since my dad left. And every day feels like a loop to a horrible dream with an even worst ending. I guess I’m just grieving in my own way most days I don’t wanna eat I don’t sleep I’m losing weight I’m snappy I’m angry and depressed all at the same time I don’t feel like myself I cry day in and out. But I still have to hold it together for my very active four year old son. I’m just looking for a way to heal this pain and ease my mind. The picture I added was of me and my dad when at my baby shower right after his round of chemo that he hid from me he still managed to smile for me I’m honored to call him my dad 

98C1A44C-3A76-486C-BE73-F9D01339E1E5.png

• Members

Dear Davidskid,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing your amazing dad with us.

Thinking of you.

Archived