Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

This was tough...

ModKonnie

• Members

Saturday,

We moved my mother out of my childhood home and into a new home near my sister and I. While I am glad my mother now lives near me (she previously lived a little more than an hour away), I nearly lost it when I walked into that empty house as the moving van was leaving. I had an overwhelming sense of my father, who died a little more than a year ago. I felt like we were betraying him, and I had this sudden mental picture of him sitting in his chair crying, with a stricken look on his face as we were walking away from the home he loved and lived in for 45 years. I have so many lifelong memories, both good and bad of that house. We were all sad, but trying to be positive. The neighbors, many of whom have been there since the beginning, came to say goodbye.

That house was the rock of my existence. I knew I could always go home, no matter what. I feel like I am being silly over this detachment to a mere "thing." It's only bricks and mortar. I guess the real "home" was the atmosphere of love and support my parents created there.

I just can't help the lump that keeps forming in my throat when I think that I will never see it again. My childhood, my kids' childhood, my life was so wrapped around that home. My dad died in my old bedroom.

I'm so sad, when I shouldn't be. My mom has a wonderful new, modern home less than a mile from me. I had breakfast with her this morning. I'm borrowing her car right now. I am going to love living next to her. But I feel like I've betrayed my dad.

ModKonnie

• Members

I understand how you feel.We sold my moms house a year after she died,it was the hardest thing ever,she loved that house so much,I grew up there.But honestly for me it was so hard to ever go back there again and I never did after she died,I just couldn't.I would expect my mom to come walking down the steps and not seeing her do that would kill me,so my brother was the one who had to do the moving of her things when the house sold.It really hurts to think that strangers are now living there and it just about killed me to hear from the neighbor that they pulled out all of my moms trees that she planted years ago and loved.I will never drive by that house,I'm afraid of seeing all of the new changes the new owners did to my moms house-it will always be my moms house to me! :(

• Members

I understand how you feel.We sold my moms house a year after she died,it was the hardest thing ever,she loved that house so much,I grew up there.But honestly for me it was so hard to ever go back there again and I never did after she died,I just couldn't.I would expect my mom to come walking down the steps and not seeing her do that would kill me,so my brother was the one who had to do the moving of her things when the house sold.It really hurts to think that strangers are now living there and it just about killed me to hear from the neighbor that they pulled out all of my moms trees that she planted years ago and loved.I will never drive by that house,I'm afraid of seeing all of the new changes the new owners did to my moms house-it will always be my moms house to me! :(

Yes, I will never go see my parents' home again, either. It's too painful, and I can't imagine other people in MY house. You are right, every time I went back after my dad died, it wasn't really all that pleasant because I kept expecting to walk in and see him in his chair, but he was never there.

Thanks for responding,

ModKonnie

• Members

Konnie, I can imagine how that must have felt, I've recently taken my dads bed, my bed in his house and the guest beds apart. Taking them to a tip and throwing them is so hard.

Next, when the house is sold, we'll have to move the sofas and his numerous DVD/book cases. The local pharmacist came by and took all the stock piled medication away, after all, he won't be needing them anymore.

I think one day I will go back there after it's sold, I don't want to ever forget that house, whatever the cost on my emotional stability. I haven't got many pictures, my memories are all I have and I have a terrible memory :/

I hope your mum is happy in her new home and locality, I think it will be good for the both of you. Take care Konnie.

• Members

Konnie, I can imagine how that must have felt, I've recently taken my dads bed, my bed in his house and the guest beds apart. Taking them to a tip and throwing them is so hard.

Next, when the house is sold, we'll have to move the sofas and his numerous DVD/book cases. The local pharmacist came by and took all the stock piled medication away, after all, he won't be needing them anymore.

I think one day I will go back there after it's sold, I don't want to ever forget that house, whatever the cost on my emotional stability. I haven't got many pictures, my memories are all I have and I have a terrible memory :/

I hope your mum is happy in her new home and locality, I think it will be good for the both of you. Take care Konnie.

Thank you Andy B,

I will never forget my parents' home, either. It was my entire world for years and years. Yes, it will be a tough thing for you when you move your father's things, but you will get through it.

My mother is doing okay. She wasn't quite ready to move, but she really had no choice. She is tough and resilient, and she likes being near my sister and I, and eight of her grandchildren. She will have FAR more company, and we will be able to take care of her better. It will be great for all of us one day, but it's hard right now.

ModKonnie

Archived