Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Adopted my dog soulmate, now he's gone

Danii93

• Members

I adopted my perfect puppy a while ago from our local shelter, he was a Pomchi, only 10 pounds, but all the love he had for me made him so much bigger. I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him, and he with me. He had no story that they knew of, someone had just dropped him off one night in a cage at the shelter. I was so happy to be able to give him a loving home, where I could give him the great life he deserved. I could tell that he had a rough past, he only confied to me, only trusted me, wouldn't let anyone around unless it was me. I was obsessed with him, and he with me. I needed him as much as he needed me. He was my happy place. But, he is extremely timid, to everyone else and anything that wasn't me. I was so happy to see him happy, and so loved in our home. 

Then my worst night mare came true..

My husband and I were going out of town, I had asked a friend of mine to watch our dog for us. 30 minutes after I had dropped him off she calls and tells me that she had accidentally let him out and he had ran away. We turned around and went back, i spent 7 hours searching for him that night, and every day since he's been missing I go back in the early AM until sunset day after day canvassing a two mile area where he migh be, I've called every shelter, vet clinics, radio station and printed over 150 flyers. We live in the Mojave desert, and it's been over 100 degrees here every day, no one has spotted him, and the coyotes have been seen everywhere around where he went missing. I know he's not coming back. He's gone. And it's absolutely breaking me, I wake up with nightmares every night, crying, anxiety attacks. I've lost myself, im a mess. I can't stand the thought that he was in any pain or suffering, it's killing me. That dog was my world, and he deserved the best, he deserved so much better. I don't know how to cope or how to feel

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  I know what it is to have your beloved pet disappear, and it's hard, the not knowing what happened.  When my Miss Mocha disappeared, everyone said, "Oh, she'll come back" but in my heart I knew she was dead, and it's been over four months now.  It's hard to accept life in these changed terms, because we miss them.  I slept with her every night, she was so beautiful, I loved her feminine little voice.

I console myself by knowing the truth that she had the best possible life she could have had when she was with me.  They don't have a sense of time like we do, they don't worry about tomorrow or dwell on the past, they live in the moment, and every moment your little dog had with you, he was happy.  That is what he remembers and takes away with him in his next life.

I hope this video will be of comfort to you as it is to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw

Archived