New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

My beautiful Cat Ninja fell off my balcony and died within 24 hours

• Members

Yesterday I lost my best friend, daughter, love of my life, my everything. She was everything you could ever ask for in a companion, we truly had a bond that I don't think I'll ever get to have again. It was so pure, the love was very mutual. Her death was unexpected, on Sunday she fell off the balcony and she has done that a few times before. I don't know what went wrong this time but it ended in the most horrible way possible. She was only 3, I had her since the minute she was born and I am not ready to deal with it, I can't believe it's even happened. When I called the vet for am update they said she was improving but had fluids inside of her and they were going to wait for the morning to see if the IV stopped the bleeding, also they couldn't give her any pain meds or sedate her because of her state - but to their surprise she was on the way to recovering they said. 3 hours later I get a call that when they went to check on her she wasn't breathing. My beautiful girl is dead and I wasn't even there with her at the end to help her - she must have been so scared and in so much pain and I never even knew she was at that state until it was too late. I saw her this morning and my world just crumbled even more when I saw her cold body in her crate. I'm devastated, broken, lost.. I'll never wake up to her kneading/suckling me and then ever so lightly scratch my face in the morning while I stroke her, I'll never see her run to the door when it opens when I arrive home, I'll never get to say how beautiful she says and see that look in get eyes when i tell her..she's gone. I'm having such a hard time dealing with this and I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I don't think I ever can, my life has been turned upside down without having my best friend by my side, I just feel so empty. How can I deal with this? Everything doesn't make sense anymore.. Ninja baby, I miss you so much - more than words can say! I'm so sorry that this happened to you, you didn't deserve this and I'm so sorry you were alone when you passed. Thank you for being my best friend - you were truly my everything and I loved you with more love than I have ever given. I will never forget you and I will ALWAYS love you and I can't wait for the day we get to meet again. R.I.P. Lil' Ninja 11/17/2014 - your mom loves you forever and always!

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1
  • Members
Swartkrs@yahoo.com

Jillki,I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty,Ninja.Ninja knows you loved her unconditional.We have to keep all good memories with us,they know.

I recently had to make a tough decision on my senior feline with acute renal failure,10 Oct.I find it very hard at times,a lot,I cherish the years we had together though.

"If there ever comes a day we can't be together,keep me in your heart,I'll stay there forever."

Winnie the Pooh.

• Members

Thank you swartkrs for your post. Does it ever get easier? I feel like there is a hole in my heart that's never ever going to fill up. I just feel hopeless and want her back. I wasn't ready to loose her yet and I don't even know if I will ever see her again..I just miss her uncontrollably and I am devastated

• Members
CasMann

Hello JillKi, 

I just came across your post - I know it is back from 2014, but I thought I'd respond to see if you get this. The same thing happened to me this year. 

I wake up every day and think about the accident non stop. I watched my poor baby fall 42 floors, and it was by far the most horrific experience I've ever had. I feel so guilty as I was told not to let him outside just in case he would jump or fall. I used to tell myself I was worrying needlessly and that he was just enjoying being out there. I truly thought his instincts would protect him.

I thought I'd reach out to see if you were any better, because I don't think I will ever recover from what I saw or the accident itself.

• Like 1
  • Members
Lexie

I am so sorry for your loss. Ninja sounds like such a sweet cat and it truly does feel like a piece is missing when our pets are lost so suddenly. Speaking as someone who lost their Cleo 5 days ago its  not the easiest but it does get a little easier to breathe. I miss him but someone on here told me about the rainbow bridge where all our pets go. They play with all the other animals waiting for us. You’ll see him again one day. Please be well. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC
18 hours ago, CasMann said:

Hello JillKi, 

I just came across your post - I know it is back from 2014, but I thought I'd respond to see if you get this. The same thing happened to me this year. 

I wake up every day and think about the accident non stop. I watched my poor baby fall 42 floors, and it was by far the most horrific experience I've ever had. I feel so guilty as I was told not to let him outside just in case he would jump or fall. I used to tell myself I was worrying needlessly and that he was just enjoying being out there. I truly thought his instincts would protect him.

I thought I'd reach out to see if you were any better, because I don't think I will ever recover from what I saw or the accident itself.

It takes much time, I hope you read the other's recent threads and please be kind and understanding of yourself, this is a long arduous journey.  I am just so sorry for your loss, that anyone has to go through this.  :(

I hope this brings you comfort and peace as it has so many of us here:

• Members
Kerryberry

Hello everyone. Kay C, I just lost my sweet Kitten Tango the same way a couple hours ago. I can’t seem to forgive myself. After coming home from the apple store, I called for him and he was nowhere to be found. I looked over the balcony and there he was. After running downstairs. He was lifeless. I knew I was too late but I still had a bit of hope in me and took him to the animal hospital. I’m ripped into pieces. He was the sweetest cat you can ever imagine to have. Every chance he got, he was on me. Hugs and kisses all day long. I have never met a more affectionate cat. I came here for support. I’m beside myself and feel like I’m going crazy. I won’t be able to heal from this I think. He was my baby and now he is gone. I have one more  so that helps a bit but he just isn’t like Tango. I had an angel for a pet and I hope in time I will be able to not be so hard on myself but I feel this is my fault for leaving the balcony door open while gone  :(

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

One would never expect it.  Our cats are so agile, we think they can't fall, but it happens.  I am so sorry, I know how hard this hurts.

I know what it is to feel responsible for our pet's death...years ago our family dog, Fluffy, crawled into my van unbeknownst to me, the back end was open as we'd come back from the vet and were attending to our cat, giving him his meds, I shut the van and drove to work, it was a hot August day, the windows rolled up.  I came out that night, opened the door, and he rolled out into my arms, stiff as a board.  I too rushed him to the vet.  What did I think the vet could do?  He pronounced him dead.  He told me his brain would have burst, that it would have been 140 in there.  A piece of information that once given cannot be unthought.  I hope these articles will be of help to you...

http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-grieving-animal-lovers.htm
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

• Like 1
  • Members
Kerryberry

Thank you so much for your response KC. And I’m so sorry about your pup with that tragic accident. I’ve already looked into one of the articles you attached, and also thank you for that. Be well. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

I wish you the best, I know this is very hard.  :wub:

• Members
AJWCat

My hearts just breaks reading this. I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty.

• Members
Kerryberry

@KayC It is extremely hard. Today isn’t a good day. I’ve been crying all day everyday since his departure. Talking to him, calling out to him, telling him how much me and Tangy (short for tangerine) misses him, asking him to keep sending signs, and to please don’t leave me. Asking for his protection, and most importantly the emotional support, which is what he was best at. My baby was soo loving that he would make you question if he was human! I’ll tell you how it started. I spent the night at a friend’s last night but returned home this morning for work.(I work from home). I greeted Tangy, gave him extra hugs and kisses, was went on to clock in. I’ve been living on this marina on the 4th floor for about 3 years now and I’ve never seen a bird on my balcony ledge or railing; however, as I’m completing some modules, something caught my attention through the window. It was a bird, and kind of looked like an American Robin. It landed on the railing, moved to the same spot Tango would sit on and looked me right in the eyes. It stayed for about 15-20 seconds. The bird was black, but had a beautiful coat. It looked waxed lol but it also had blue and green on its back. I immediately thought of Tango. I really hope it was him and he is letting me know that he is ok and will always be near me.My sweet and precious baby wasn’t even a year yet but the thought that he had a spoiled happy little life as a house cat makes me feel a bit better. I just started his diet 3 days ago and stopped free feeding him because he was greedy little thing ever since he was a kitten and would like at his brother’s food lol. My big fat boy, wouldn’t have him any other way. He was more to love. I’m so torn but I’m very grateful for this support group. 

-Kerry

@AJWCat Thanks so much, it’s hard. I’m just now slowly getting over the disbelief and not replaying everything over my head like seeing my baby lifeless on the ground, carrying him to the emergency room, etc., but I don’t think I’ve completely accepting it yet. I just want him here :(.

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

Let yourself cry the tears, it helps relieve some of the pain, it takes a while to get through this, I bawled buckets for months, I think my eyes are cried out now, I have to use artificial tears they're so dry now!  I've learned to coexist with my grief, I carry it inside of me.  It sounds like you had a visitation, be open as there's much we don't know and can't explain about the other realm.  I hope each day gets slightly easier for you!

• Like 1
  • Members
Gary55

I'm so sorry to read of your beloved companion. My heart goes out to you. Almost 5 months since my Goldie passed, and I'm in tears at points every day. I do believe there is a higher purpose, though at times it's hard to see. The bird sure seems like a sign, letting you know Tango is with you. 

• Like 2