Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sudden death of my beautiful cat feeling empty

ChemicalReactor

• Members
ChemicalReactor

Hi everyone. My name is Alfie.

Yesterday, coming home from my 18th birthday party, We say my cat dead on the road metres from my house.

His name was Hector, he was only 4. A Siamese beautiful boy.

I already suffer from BPD (borderline personality) and GAD (generalised anxiety disorder). This was just too much.

3 diazipams later I  still feel so empty, I can't function and I'm sure with time I'll be okay, but right now I just am still in shock, I can't believe it.

I don't know what to do with myself. He was my coping mechanism, a little angel, he was micheious and adorable and so perfect.

I am at a loss for words.

My thanks in advance.

• Members
AnotherSunrise

I'm sorry for your loss, Alfie. I also have anxiety and mood issues and really love my pets. Most of the time they're easier to understand than people.

You're feeling so much pain because you loved your cat so much, and because animals are so much more instinctual than people, your cat knew how much you loved him. All a cat or dog wants in this world is to be loved, and your cat was loved a lot.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better soon.

• Members
AnotherSunrise

I'm sorry for your loss, Alfie. I also have anxiety and mood issues and really love my pets. Most of the time they're easier to understand than people.

You're feeling so much pain because you loved your cat so much, and because animals are so much more instinctual than people, your cat knew how much you loved him. All a cat or dog wants in this world is to be loved, and your cat was loved a lot.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better soon.

• Members

Alvie, I came across your post because I lost my kitty today and I was looking online for a place to vent my grief. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm hoping that it gets better with time. I wish I could stop crying, but I just miss my friend so much. The love of a pet is so special, have a huge void now.

• Members

Let my beautiful boy go yesterday and im gutted. Alfie was such a handsome big boy with a gorgeous beige/ginge coat. Im so devastated rite now thinking that I had to put him down it broke my heart. He was diagnosed with feline leukemia 3 weeks ago and since then ive had several trips to vet for steroid shots and antibiotics but it only worked for day or 2 and then he got worse. I was told at the start to let him go but I couldnt bear thought of it I wanted to keep him and nurse him back. Yesterday after seeing him lyin on stairs not responding to me and hiding under beds to be alone I decided I had to give him pease. On way up to vets he just looked at me and stayed quiet like he knew. And throughout his final moment s he just looked into my eyes I talked and cried lookin down at mammys boy. Couldn't see him miserable any longer. Feel awful today cant function at all. Miss my playful cheeky boy.will my heart ever feel better. My first ever pet 3 years old

• Members

Feel better reading others who are in bits too.some people just dont understand the connection between an animal and their owner and dont understand the loss x

• Members

I lost my beautiful girl, Lily on Thursday  last week. It came as a shock because it was so sudden. She had unbeknown to me, a brain tumour. There was nothing the vet could do. I had her in my arms, kissing her as she slipped away. I was and still am utterly devastated. I was so bereft I ended up in hospital after taking a near fatal overdose. I just wanted to be with my Lily. My emotions were too intense for me to cope. I’ve no one that I can really talk to. I just wondered if anyone else had been like me? 

• Like 1

• Members

Hi @Han2072 I am so so sorry for your loss. We were at a vacation house for the summer, we'd brought our cat. One Saturday night, right as we were about to eat dinner, he got suddenly, violently sick. We rushed to an emergency vet. He suffered - even though the vet said claimed he probably didn't realize what was happening. The vet claimed he ingested poison but we have no idea how it happened, as he was indoor and the house seemed totally safe. Finally we had to put him down.

We were devastated. It was the worst thing I've gone through. So yes I know the pain, the despair, and the incredible heartbreak. It seems as though it will last forever. I was a zombie for weeks. I cried for days. That was in 2017. I have since adopted another cat but I will never forget him and I think about him all the time still - at least in a more peaceful way. 

I promise it does not but it is a long, slow, painful journey to live through it. You will. Please hang in there as Lily I am sure would want you to.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Han, I''m so sorry for your loss, I didn't attempt suicide but understand the feelings...I lost my husband over 16 years ago and am very alone, my dog Arlie was my companion dog, I called him my soulmate in a dog, my perfect dog, he was my everything, learning he had inoperable cancer and his liver shutting down was the hardest thing, it felt like losing my husband all over again.  This can be one of the hardest losses, animals are so loyal, intuitive, loving, way more so than most people, we see them day in, day out, interact with them constantly, it stands to reason the loss is felt so greatly.  

4 1/2 months later I lost 25 year old Kitty, liver and kidney failure.  She'd been healthy all her life, I guess it was time but we're never prepared, I'd honestly thought she'd live forever, she always seemed to, but to lose both so close together was hard, I'd already lost Miss Mocha four years earlier, suspect a cougar, she never would have left of her own accord, just never saw her again.  My heart goes out to you in your loss, if/when you're able/ready, maybe you could post a picture, tell us a little about her?  Itt helped me to write about them, immortalizing them in a way, I never wanted them to be forgotten.

Memorializing a Pet

I hope this brings you some thoughts of comfort and peace...