Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Decision I made today euthanize my 14 year old cat today

Sooze

• Members

This-afternoon, I had my 14 year old cat euthanized. She had CHF congestive heart failure) and had been on Lasix and Encard since May. The day before yesterday she appeared so very weak, only walking a few feet and laying down. Only eating a 1/4 of her food for two days. I took her to the vet. Vet increased Lasix. But last night she simply cryed out all night. Which she had never done. I knew something was very wrong, she was trying to hide or looking toward me while crying. She was trying so hard to drink water, but it sounded more like she was trying to suck it up because of fluid build-up. I took her back to the vet today. Her lab work revealed severe kidney and liver problems (failing) and very high sugar. Fluid around heart (hazy) and lungs. I was told she could be placed on IV's and through $1,000 or more dollars, maybe get her stable for a little while. Then I realized that, although my cat is worth a million dollars to me, she was counting on me to keep her comfortable and I feel like that is just what I did. Even if I agreed to utilize all the wonderful technology that is so helpful today, I felt in my heart and soul that this would not improve her quality of life, or heart at 14 years old (almost 15). I have her sister, and I am giving her extra love because I am so very frightened that she will become ill without her sister. They have never been apart. I miss her so dearly tonight. She was Mama's baby, (all 20lb's of her!) and would sleep with me. My eyes are swollen, my heart is heavy, but I know that my cat is not suffering and is now back with God. I thank my cat for 14 years of pure love. <3 Thank you for letting me get this out of my head.

• Members

This-afternoon, I had my 14 year old cat euthanized. She had CHF congestive heart failure) and had been on Lasix and Encard since May. The day before yesterday she appeared so very weak, only walking a few feet and laying down. Only eating a 1/4 of her food for two days. I took her to the vet. Vet increased Lasix. But last night she simply cryed out all night. Which she had never done. I knew something was very wrong, she was trying to hide or looking toward me while crying. She was trying so hard to drink water, but it sounded more like she was trying to suck it up because of fluid build-up. I took her back to the vet today. Her lab work revealed severe kidney and liver problems (failing) and very high sugar. Fluid around heart (hazy) and lungs. I was told she could be placed on IV's and through $1,000 or more dollars, maybe get her stable for a little while. Then I realized that, although my cat is worth a million dollars to me, she was counting on me to keep her comfortable and I feel like that is just what I did. Even if I agreed to utilize all the wonderful technology that is so helpful today, I felt in my heart and soul that this would not improve her quality of life, or heart at 14 years old (almost 15). I have her sister, and I am giving her extra love because I am so very frightened that she will become ill without her sister. They have never been apart. I miss her so dearly tonight. She was Mama's baby, (all 20lb's of her!) and would sleep with me. My eyes are swollen, my heart is heavy, but I know that my cat is not suffering and is now back with God. I thank my cat for 14 years of pure love. <3 Thank you for letting me get this out of my head.

Sooze,

I have to make that gut-wrenching decision. A month ago, my 11-year-old cat's urethra blocked for the third time. He's already had two major surgeries. The vet said I could pay $3,000 and take him to a school of veterinary and a newer surgery may help. However, I keep looking at him suffering, and I am sick over why I just can't end his suffering. He spent a week at the vet with IV fluids and a special diet last month. He just wants to be a cat, and I feel guilty either way. My kids are upset and angry, but I simply cannot come up with that kind of money, nor do I think I am being fair to Bob.

I am so relating to your heartbreak. I keep putting it off, but it can't wait more than a day or so, now. I am thinking I just need to go do this before he goes out of his mind with pain. Isn't it just mean of me? I'm just so torn...

ModKonnie

• Members

Hello....I am new here. First, I would like to say that I am so sorry for the loss

of everyone's beloved pet. It is , indeed, a heartbreaking thing to see your

constant faithful pet companion die. It is gut-wrenching and sad. I had to

have my 15 yr old female kitty, Brownie, put to sleep last November. I had

not gotten another kitty since then, until just 2 days ago when my daughter

who had been trying to take care of an orphan newborn kitten....a darling

little gray baby, gave the kitten to me to try to raise. Neither of us had ever

attempted this before, so we reallywere at a loss. She gave the kitten to me,

and when I went to get her.....thepoor little thing was near death. I tried hard to

revive her, but she was too far gone. My son-in-law buried the kitten in their backyard.

We all cried. I had named her already. I will never forget that little tiny kitten that touched

my heart in only a few days.

• Members

Hello....I am new here. First, I would like to say that I am so sorry for the loss

of everyone's beloved pet. It is , indeed, a heartbreaking thing to see your

constant faithful pet companion die. It is gut-wrenching and sad. I had to

have my 15 yr old female kitty, Brownie, put to sleep last November. I had

not gotten another kitty since then, until just 2 days ago when my daughter

who had been trying to take care of an orphan newborn kitten....a darling

little gray baby, gave the kitten to me to try to raise. Neither of us had ever

attempted this before, so we reallywere at a loss. She gave the kitten to me,

and when I went to get her.....thepoor little thing was near death. I tried hard to

revive her, but she was too far gone. My son-in-law buried the kitten in their backyard.

We all cried. I had named her already. I will never forget that little tiny kitten that touched

my heart in only a few days.

Aww. That poor little kitten. It's so sad that you desperately tried to help her, but she died. It's amazing how quick we fall in love with the furry little babies, isn't it? I'm so sorry you had to deal with this, especially since you were already leery about a new pet.

ModKonnie

Archived