In our beautiful Gallery

Grief Support Marketplace

Check Our New Products In The Marketplace

Take Grieving.com on the Go!

Buy on Apple and Google Play
nittanylamb

My Cat was taken so violently

Patchesmom4ever

My cat Patches was killed by my neighbors 4 dogs on February 20th. My neighbor came to inform us that my cat was dead in his yard...I went over to see and it was my baby...horrified I just started crying. She didn't even have a chance...he trains his dogs to hunt so they attacked her, she was 21 pounds and really not a runner...I know I should have kept her indoors which is what everyone tells me, but her & her mother were rescue animals...I had her since she was born & the mom kept taking her out of my house, we would have to go search for her & bring her in...never the less these cats were just outdoor cats.

My Patch would be scared of the UPS truck, she would scratch at the door & I would let her in, My cat was NEVER out over night. They slept during the day & would like to go out around 7 and would always come inside by 8:30 or 9pm, but NEVER any later than that... My neighbor lied and said that it must have been a coyote... I found his dogs fur under her nails. She did everything with me, she would stay by my side while I was pregnant with my 20 month old. She would sleep by my feet every night, climb over me with her 20lb body & lick my hand until I fell asleep. She LOVED Water, so at bath time, she would sit in the bathroom while the baby has her bath, as well as when I showered...she wanted to lick the water off my hand. She LOVED fruit, grapes, blueberries, nectarines, oranges, raspberries. She never took to anyone else in the house, just me. This is why this is SO hard for me.... She would go outside with me and I would watch her chase squirrels, birds, dragon flies, but she would never want to hurt anything. Once her mom caught a tiny field mouse & she wouldn't even try to get it...she just lightly touched it...she wasn't your typical hunter cat....And it just KILLS me that she was "HUNTED" she didn't even know to run...when she would get scared, she would just freeze. My heart just aches.....she didn't deserve to leave this earth that way, I just have her final image in my mind...of her hissing at them to just leave her alone.... I know that she didn't belong in their yard, and I don't understand why she was...she NEVER went over there....I just wish there was something I could have done....I wish I never let her out that night. :(.....

Maddy6
1330119049' post='84410']

My cat Patches was killed by my neighbors 4 dogs on February 20th. My neighbor came to inform us that my cat was dead in his yard...I went over to see and it was my baby...horrified I just started crying. She didn't even have a chance...he trains his dogs to hunt so they attacked her, she was 21 pounds and really not a runner...I know I should have kept her indoors which is what everyone tells me, but her & her mother were rescue animals...I had her since she was born & the mom kept taking her out of my house, we would have to go search for her & bring her in...never the less these cats were just outdoor cats.

My Patch would be scared of the UPS truck, she would scratch at the door & I would let her in, My cat was NEVER out over night. They slept during the day & would like to go out around 7 and would always come inside by 8:30 or 9pm, but NEVER any later than that... My neighbor lied and said that it must have been a coyote... I found his dogs fur under her nails. She did everything with me, she would stay by my side while I was pregnant with my 20 month old. She would sleep by my feet every night, climb over me with her 20lb body & lick my hand until I fell asleep. She LOVED Water, so at bath time, she would sit in the bathroom while the baby has her bath, as well as when I showered...she wanted to lick the water off my hand. She LOVED fruit, grapes, blueberries, nectarines, oranges, raspberries. She never took to anyone else in the house, just me. This is why this is SO hard for me.... She would go outside with me and I would watch her chase squirrels, birds, dragon flies, but she would never want to hurt anything. Once her mom caught a tiny field mouse & she wouldn't even try to get it...she just lightly touched it...she wasn't your typical hunter cat....And it just KILLS me that she was "HUNTED" she didn't even know to run...when she would get scared, she would just freeze. My heart just aches.....she didn't deserve to leave this earth that way, I just have her final image in my mind...of her hissing at them to just leave her alone.... I know that she didn't belong in their yard, and I don't understand why she was...she NEVER went over there....I just wish there was something I could have done....I wish I never let her out that night. :(.....

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

Patchesmom4ever

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. I cried as I read your story. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

Patchesmom4ever

Thank you Maddy, it is comforting to know that they go into shock....it makes it a little easier

Maddy6
1330138547' post='84429']

Thank you Maddy, it is comforting to know that they go into shock....it makes it a little easier

I hope you are ok. How long did you have Patches for?

Patchesmom4ever

I hope you are ok. How long did you have Patches for?

I had her for 9 1/2 years, she would have been 10 this August :(

hikinmike

So sorry to hear of your cat's fate. I lost a very naiive and curious cat in November. My wife died in July, but somedays it seems I miss the cat (Mr Bocce) more than I do my wife. So often Bocce was the only one of who made any sense.

nittanylamb

Dear Patchesmom4ever - I so feel your pain right now and the guilt. My beloved little dog Lily was killed yesterday by a coyote. I let her out and she didn't come back...which I had done before and she always returned. Problem this time is that it was 4:30 in the morning, pitch black. We have a fence so I never really gave it a second thought..she always came back. I found her remains with the coyote in my yard. My poor husband had to pick her up and bring her to the vet. She was in two pieces. He is devestated at what he saw. The little dog with the soft fur and the pink belly was ripped in half. Like your Patches, my Lily was a perfect companion and loving beyond belief. I just can't shake the image or the wondering about whether she suffered terribly. Did she cry? Did she linger? Does she think I betrayed her? All of the questions are killing me. And the lack of unfairness is incredible to me, my dogs sleep on my bed, get a prime spot on the sofa, while other dogs are strictly outdoors, and not included with the family...and these pets are alive and mine is not. I am sorry to hijack your thread PatchesMom, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I truly hope that comfort comes to us both soon at some point, we were good, loving pet parents and I feel we don't deserve this.

• Like 1

Sams mom
On 2/24/2012 at 7:03 PM, Maddy6 said:

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

This was very helpful to me.  My cat Sam was killed 2 nights ago by a coyote. The water is high on the river and they have apparently moved into the neighborhood to find food.  I was warned by a neighbor who said another cat had been attacked and I knew it would be challenging to keep Sam inside.  Sam was a 100% outdoor cat when I adopted him.  My neighbor had passed away and her family just left Sam behind. He was surviving ok but I ultimately brought him home - just down the street. He slowly, over a few months, accepted his new home with me and my golden retriever. He still ruled the neighborhood, followed us on our walks and came and went at his choosing. In the hot months I had come to accept that he preferred to stay outside most of the time. He just wouldn't come in.  He was with me for 9.5 years and I loved him so. I have no idea how old he was because he had a life before me - maybe 14 - but he certainly didn't act like it. He would sleep with me - at his choosing - and cuddle - at his choosing.  

I feel horribly guilty that I did not figure out how to heed the warning. I would try to convince him to stay in and he would sometimes agree and sometimes just howl until I relented. That night I relented. 

I just feel awful. And I can't get over the feeling that I let him down. It was a gruesome way to go and I just pray he wasn't aware for long. 

This forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm just devastated. 

• Like 1

KayC

Was this posted in a different thread?  Seems word for word,  I already read and responded:

The last two cats that I adopted were rescues who'd been on their own, outside, and they also liked the power to choose whether to be inside our outside.  It's hard to make them an indoor cat 100% once they've been on their own.  My Miss Mocha gradually became more indoor than out but on the last day of her life, three years ago, she wanted outside and I let her out...I believe it was a cougar that got her, I was outside all day and never heard a sound, but cougars are like that, swift and take them by surprise, they go into shock and no time to yowl or react.  My only hope is that it was very quick and that shock cushioned her from any pain or fear.  I miss her so much.

I know what you are going through.  (((hugs)))

Sams mom

Thank you and yes...I posted under another thread first but realized it was from 2012 so thought I should just start a new thread. I'm new so forgive me as I wasn't sure how this works.  I appreciate your kind words (twice even!). I feel just sick about it. He was extremely opinionated and I knew (on some level) that I couldn't protect him but coyotes!  I don't live in an area where this is typically an issue so I never had thought about it before. 

Again, I appreciate your kindness. 

• Like 1

KayC

The coyotes stop short of coming into residential (I'm in the country) here but it's always a possibility...here we have cougars (most fearsome!), bear (not a problem), foxes, raccoons, skunks, you name it.  It's so hard to think about our beloved cats going in this way, and I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

• Like 1