Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Cat was taken so violently

Patchesmom4ever

• Members
Patchesmom4ever

My cat Patches was killed by my neighbors 4 dogs on February 20th. My neighbor came to inform us that my cat was dead in his yard...I went over to see and it was my baby...horrified I just started crying. She didn't even have a chance...he trains his dogs to hunt so they attacked her, she was 21 pounds and really not a runner...I know I should have kept her indoors which is what everyone tells me, but her & her mother were rescue animals...I had her since she was born & the mom kept taking her out of my house, we would have to go search for her & bring her in...never the less these cats were just outdoor cats.

My Patch would be scared of the UPS truck, she would scratch at the door & I would let her in, My cat was NEVER out over night. They slept during the day & would like to go out around 7 and would always come inside by 8:30 or 9pm, but NEVER any later than that... My neighbor lied and said that it must have been a coyote... I found his dogs fur under her nails. She did everything with me, she would stay by my side while I was pregnant with my 20 month old. She would sleep by my feet every night, climb over me with her 20lb body & lick my hand until I fell asleep. She LOVED Water, so at bath time, she would sit in the bathroom while the baby has her bath, as well as when I showered...she wanted to lick the water off my hand. She LOVED fruit, grapes, blueberries, nectarines, oranges, raspberries. She never took to anyone else in the house, just me. This is why this is SO hard for me.... She would go outside with me and I would watch her chase squirrels, birds, dragon flies, but she would never want to hurt anything. Once her mom caught a tiny field mouse & she wouldn't even try to get it...she just lightly touched it...she wasn't your typical hunter cat....And it just KILLS me that she was "HUNTED" she didn't even know to run...when she would get scared, she would just freeze. My heart just aches.....she didn't deserve to leave this earth that way, I just have her final image in my mind...of her hissing at them to just leave her alone.... I know that she didn't belong in their yard, and I don't understand why she was...she NEVER went over there....I just wish there was something I could have done....I wish I never let her out that night. :(.....

• Members
1330119049' post='84410']

My cat Patches was killed by my neighbors 4 dogs on February 20th. My neighbor came to inform us that my cat was dead in his yard...I went over to see and it was my baby...horrified I just started crying. She didn't even have a chance...he trains his dogs to hunt so they attacked her, she was 21 pounds and really not a runner...I know I should have kept her indoors which is what everyone tells me, but her & her mother were rescue animals...I had her since she was born & the mom kept taking her out of my house, we would have to go search for her & bring her in...never the less these cats were just outdoor cats.

My Patch would be scared of the UPS truck, she would scratch at the door & I would let her in, My cat was NEVER out over night. They slept during the day & would like to go out around 7 and would always come inside by 8:30 or 9pm, but NEVER any later than that... My neighbor lied and said that it must have been a coyote... I found his dogs fur under her nails. She did everything with me, she would stay by my side while I was pregnant with my 20 month old. She would sleep by my feet every night, climb over me with her 20lb body & lick my hand until I fell asleep. She LOVED Water, so at bath time, she would sit in the bathroom while the baby has her bath, as well as when I showered...she wanted to lick the water off my hand. She LOVED fruit, grapes, blueberries, nectarines, oranges, raspberries. She never took to anyone else in the house, just me. This is why this is SO hard for me.... She would go outside with me and I would watch her chase squirrels, birds, dragon flies, but she would never want to hurt anything. Once her mom caught a tiny field mouse & she wouldn't even try to get it...she just lightly touched it...she wasn't your typical hunter cat....And it just KILLS me that she was "HUNTED" she didn't even know to run...when she would get scared, she would just freeze. My heart just aches.....she didn't deserve to leave this earth that way, I just have her final image in my mind...of her hissing at them to just leave her alone.... I know that she didn't belong in their yard, and I don't understand why she was...she NEVER went over there....I just wish there was something I could have done....I wish I never let her out that night. :(.....

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

• Members
Patchesmom4ever

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. I cried as I read your story. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

• Members
1330138547' post='84429']

Thank you Maddy, it is comforting to know that they go into shock....it makes it a little easier

I hope you are ok. How long did you have Patches for?

• Members
Patchesmom4ever

I hope you are ok. How long did you have Patches for?

I had her for 9 1/2 years, she would have been 10 this August :(

• Members

So sorry to hear of your cat's fate. I lost a very naiive and curious cat in November. My wife died in July, but somedays it seems I miss the cat (Mr Bocce) more than I do my wife. So often Bocce was the only one of who made any sense.

• Members
nittanylamb

Dear Patchesmom4ever - I so feel your pain right now and the guilt. My beloved little dog Lily was killed yesterday by a coyote. I let her out and she didn't come back...which I had done before and she always returned. Problem this time is that it was 4:30 in the morning, pitch black. We have a fence so I never really gave it a second thought..she always came back. I found her remains with the coyote in my yard. My poor husband had to pick her up and bring her to the vet. She was in two pieces. He is devestated at what he saw. The little dog with the soft fur and the pink belly was ripped in half. Like your Patches, my Lily was a perfect companion and loving beyond belief. I just can't shake the image or the wondering about whether she suffered terribly. Did she cry? Did she linger? Does she think I betrayed her? All of the questions are killing me. And the lack of unfairness is incredible to me, my dogs sleep on my bed, get a prime spot on the sofa, while other dogs are strictly outdoors, and not included with the family...and these pets are alive and mine is not. I am sorry to hijack your thread PatchesMom, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I truly hope that comfort comes to us both soon at some point, we were good, loving pet parents and I feel we don't deserve this.

• Like 1

• Members
On 2/24/2012 at 7:03 PM, Maddy6 said:

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

This was very helpful to me.  My cat Sam was killed 2 nights ago by a coyote. The water is high on the river and they have apparently moved into the neighborhood to find food.  I was warned by a neighbor who said another cat had been attacked and I knew it would be challenging to keep Sam inside.  Sam was a 100% outdoor cat when I adopted him.  My neighbor had passed away and her family just left Sam behind. He was surviving ok but I ultimately brought him home - just down the street. He slowly, over a few months, accepted his new home with me and my golden retriever. He still ruled the neighborhood, followed us on our walks and came and went at his choosing. In the hot months I had come to accept that he preferred to stay outside most of the time. He just wouldn't come in.  He was with me for 9.5 years and I loved him so. I have no idea how old he was because he had a life before me - maybe 14 - but he certainly didn't act like it. He would sleep with me - at his choosing - and cuddle - at his choosing.  

I feel horribly guilty that I did not figure out how to heed the warning. I would try to convince him to stay in and he would sometimes agree and sometimes just howl until I relented. That night I relented. 

I just feel awful. And I can't get over the feeling that I let him down. It was a gruesome way to go and I just pray he wasn't aware for long. 

This forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm just devastated. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Was this posted in a different thread?  Seems word for word,  I already read and responded:

The last two cats that I adopted were rescues who'd been on their own, outside, and they also liked the power to choose whether to be inside our outside.  It's hard to make them an indoor cat 100% once they've been on their own.  My Miss Mocha gradually became more indoor than out but on the last day of her life, three years ago, she wanted outside and I let her out...I believe it was a cougar that got her, I was outside all day and never heard a sound, but cougars are like that, swift and take them by surprise, they go into shock and no time to yowl or react.  My only hope is that it was very quick and that shock cushioned her from any pain or fear.  I miss her so much.

I know what you are going through.  (((hugs)))

• Members

Thank you and yes...I posted under another thread first but realized it was from 2012 so thought I should just start a new thread. I'm new so forgive me as I wasn't sure how this works.  I appreciate your kind words (twice even!). I feel just sick about it. He was extremely opinionated and I knew (on some level) that I couldn't protect him but coyotes!  I don't live in an area where this is typically an issue so I never had thought about it before. 

Again, I appreciate your kindness. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

The coyotes stop short of coming into residential (I'm in the country) here but it's always a possibility...here we have cougars (most fearsome!), bear (not a problem), foxes, raccoons, skunks, you name it.  It's so hard to think about our beloved cats going in this way, and I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

• Like 1

• Members

My kitten, Peace, passed away last year while I was at school from a dog attack. We still don't know whether or not it was our dog or our neighbors but I have a feeling it was our neighbors because the neighbors dog had never really gotten along with her. I found her at my neighbors barn and loved her at first sight and talked my dad into letting me keep her as long as she stayed in our garage because he was allergic. Every morning I would wake up at 4am so I could get dressed, eat breakfast, and go play with her for 30-45 minutes before school. She was always right at the door ready for me, and always knew when I was coming. She was the first cat I ever owned and she was so perfect. I never had to litter train her, she just knew where to go right away. She always knew when I was having a bad day, and some days she was my only motivation to get up in the morning. No one else in my family would take care of her so I felt like I had a responsibility and something that relied on me with their life. The day that she passed, I didn't know that my dad let her out but he did. Some days when it was warm she would have access in and out of the garage so this day, he left the door open just a little so that she could go out if she wanted to. I was in a rush in the morning, and felt weird leaving in the morning but I had tp go so I said bye quick to her and ran into the car. After school, I usually fell asleep on the way home and this day was no different, except when we got home my dad let me sleep a little longer. When I woke up I went into the house quick to use the bathroom and put my bag down, but before I could do any of that my dad came up to me and said he found Peace  on our blacktop dead. He said he dug a little hole, and buried her in it, and thought it would just upset me more if I saw her. At that time I already wasn't in the best spot mentally, and one way I coped was did schoolwork so that whole night I did schoolwork and cried. I blame myself because I felt weird leaving that morning. If I had listened to myself maybe she would still be here. I feel so bad, and just pray that she died instantly, that she dint die alone in pain. I try to remember the few memories that I had with her. She was always so cute. She loved the leaves and would always chase them around and try to bury her little claws in them. When she was playing she would jump sideways in the cutest way. Recently, where I live we got our first major snow of the year and it made me wonder how she would like the snow. She never got to see, snow. Sometimes I feel weird still grieving over her because she's been gone now for over a year. Some nights, my mind wanders to the memories of her, and I just spend an our or so balling my eyes out trying to stay quiet enough not to wake up my parents or brother. Just writing this now I'm trying now to cry. I don't think my parents really understand how much she was to me. My dad says he's sorry, but when I tell him I think another kitten will fill the missing piece of my heart he says I'm not responsible enough. I know no other kitten will replace Peace, but maybe another will just help me finally feel like my life is whole. She was such a perfect kitty, and I loved her to the moon and back. She was only with me for 3 months and couldn't have had a longer life then 5 months. I miss her all the time, every day. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss.  It's not at all weird that you're still grieving her, she was a family member who was a big part of your life!  Our animals don't require much, food, shelter, love, attention, playtime, but they give back so much more!  Unconditional love!  Forgiveness when we're grumpy.  And little kittens and puppies are so full of zest for life, it's contagious and makes us smile!  Being with them releases endorphins in our body that make us feel better, a great way to de-stress.

From what you've told me, you seem like you were responsible for her, so I'm not sure what your dad means, you might want to ask him outright what area he sees specifically that he feels you need to be more responsible in?  Ask for specifics so you can work on them.  

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/10/a-bill-of-rights-for-grieving-animal.html
http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-grieving-animal-lovers.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2018/12/pet-loss-coping-with-trauma-of.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/02/pet-loss-disenfranchised-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2013/03/memorializing-pets-we-have-lost.html

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/09/pet-loss-why-does-it-hurt-so-much.html

1273339795_Dogsgetfreepass.jpg.978e617329f5caeb0687556e5c055a20.jpg   Cats too!

• Members

First, I hope all you who have had your fur babies pass have reached a place of peace  <3

Its been about a week since my cat Ninja died. He was an indoor/ outdoor cat but always stay within the confines of the backyard with an occasional escape to the front yard. Always slept inside, never ate any food laying around( unless there was a piece of cheese laying around), and had absolutely no concept of personal space. While I was out for a run last Wednesday, my dad let him out into the backyard like he usually does & went about his business inside. Unfortunately, Ninja decided to climb over the fence and escape to the front of the house...but what he did next still has us perplexed because we cant understand WHY. We have a driveway door that leads into the backyard and many years ago, my dad had put a piece of plastic underneath the door to discourage him from escaping underneath ( he grew up to be a huge cat so he could no longer fit underneath). For whatever reason, maybe curious, or maybe he got scared by a loud noise,  he decided to stick his head in the smallest of openings between that door and the plastic and got his head caught. The plastic must have suffocated him and he died of asphyxiation . My parents didnt realize he died until they went to check on him. He fought for his little life so hard that there were scratch marks on the driveway door , peeing himself in the process &that only remind me that he died a painful & tragic death. The worst part is, no one heard anything .When I got the frantic call that Ninja was dead, I ran the fastest i ever ran in my life. Seeing his little lifeless body which was so joyful and full of life earlier that day absolutely broke me. I feel guilty that he died alone, with no one there to save him. My dad feels guilty that he put the plastic there to begin with even if it was for his own good back then. My mom feels guilty she didnt do a better job looking for him when she got home from work. We just cant figure out why he tried to go under the door when its something he NEVER does. 6 years of living in this house& It was never an issue and now he paid for it with his life. My baby didnt deserve to die like that, so tragically, abrupt and alone. He was going to be 10 this June and he still had so much life to live. The house just feels so empty without him and as much as i try to just think of the good memories and his little quirks, it fills my heart with sadness knowing that I wont get to see him every day, feel him cuddling against me, or hear him meowing for treats, food & attention anymore. He was a big part of our family & I miss him so much. 

• Like 1

• Members

I am so so sorry to read about your shocking loss. How strange that he did that - we never know what's going on with cats sometimes. 

I lost my cat while we were at a vacation house. He was with us (supposedly) got into something poisonous but I never figured out what it was exactly. But who knows?? (I felt very responsible because I fear he got into something I never found or saw.)

He got violently ill and his last couple hours was being taken to the emergency vet. He was in pain and suffered until we finally put him down. It broke my heart. I was insane with grief for quite some time. Our "vacation" which was for many more weeks was of course totally ruined. I spent every day crying. 

I have found a place of peace with what happened but it's a great sadness of my life. So anyway, I know where you are right now and I am so so sorry again. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your cat's tragic death.  Perhaps he heard a noise he wanted to investigate, who knows..  I am so sorry and totally understand you and your family's feelings.  We go through all of the "what ifs" in an effort to find a different possible outcome as the one that is, is too hard to accept.  None of you are guilty of anything except trying to love & protect him.  I pray for peace for you and your family, the getting used to the changes it means for your life are a process, seems all too slow, the adjustment, but eventually we begin to realize they aren't in our everyday lives anymore, although I'm of the mind they still exist...somewhere, in some way..

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Members

I’m both happy and sad to have found this forum. My cat Cleo was killed 2 days ago by street dogs. He was always roaming around the house and never had any issues. These dogs ... I just don’t know. I cat get the picture of my baby out of my head. They had mauled  him so badly from his hind legs they were limp and he was holding himself up by his front legs with this look of shock. I tried getting him to the vet but he died in the back seat... I hate myself for even letting him out that day. He had just been laying on my windowsill. I miss him so bad I can’t seem to process the violent death. He would sleep with me every night. I felt like no one understood because everyone still had their pets and I just don’t anymore. He just doesn’t exist anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry, it's horrible.  Our worst nightmare.  I'm not convinced he doesn't exist anymore, another realm perhaps, but it's hard having them gone from our everyday existence...he continues in your heart, always.  :wub:

• Members

Lexie, I am so very sorry to to hear about your loss. It is absolutely heart-breaking.

I have a story quite similar to yours. Our beautiful cat, also named Cleo, was killed by a dog 6 days ago right outside our backyard. This dog was just visiting our neighbourhood and was on a leash when it walked by our house. Nonetheless, it hurt him so bad that he died from the injuries.

We were not in at that moment but a neighbour heard everything and got out and wrapped him in a towel. He was still alive, although barely, making this little whimpering, almost purring sound. She got him to the vet, which I am eternally grateful for, but there was nothing to do but to put him down.

So I think I can relate to your pain, Lexie. It is awful. Our Cleo was 17 years old, we found him 15 years ago as a small stray, and the kindest cat I've known. He never wanted to fight, he'd do anything not to have to. All he ever wanted to do was cuddle. He followed my mother around everywhere, like a dog, and loved everybody. It just breaks my heart that his life had to end this way, that he had to suffer for so long, that we were not there with him... I wish I would have been able to protect him and like you, I cannot get that image of him hurt (although I never saw it, so I can only imagine) out of my head.

We loved our Cleo so very much, and I am sure you loved yours just as much. I hope that they knew they were loved and that it somehow, maybe, gave them some comfort. I know the pain is unbearable, but I hope that we will both eventually be able to process what happened and let all the good things we learned from our cats live on in ourselves, as a celebration.

Cleo, I love you forever.

• Members

My cat was exactly like this. She was just 8 months old and was killed by street dogs day before yesterday. She was the sweetest cat ever and a perfection at that. She never killed anyone/anything. She would just play with insects, butterflies etc and leave them. She would ask for food but never forcibly took it or stole it from anywhere. She would play around money plants in circles and would always come back home after some adventurous 1/2 hours and sleep near us. Her mom (a stray cat) birthed her in our backyard and shifted all her kids while leaving this one behind and that's when we adopted her. She was not even a month old then. We struggled to keep her alive but we also tried to give her the freedom to roam around sometime when she wanted so she becomes aware of the outside world. 2 days before she was killed, she had a miscarriage and was down with a lot of fever. I took her to the vet for two days straight and she was not okay with taking so many injections (she had to take 5+7 injections in two days). It was heartbreaking that my baby had to go through this pain. Nevertheless, she was fine when she got home and she forgot everything quite quickly.  However, she wanted to sit outside (inside our premises though) and we let her. My sister had an eye on her the whole time. My sister just came in to tell me something and we suddenly heard dogs barking and ran outside to find her circled by street dogs. She had probably jumped outside a min or two ago. It was a matter of very very few mins and there she was, taking her last breath. I cannot explain the pain we are all in right now. She was such a good soul and gave us so much happiness. Everything in our house has a memory of her and it hurts. Its like someone is taking your heart out. I hope she is in heaven and knows how much mommy loved her. 

This platform made me realise i am not alone and i hope all of us get through these tough phases and heal while sending our blessings to our babies in heaven.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

@Abhi  I am so sorry for your loss.  It's the hardest thing in the world, they are our children, very much a part of our family.  I hope you too find comfort here, please know we understand and "get" all you are feeling and going through.  (((hugs)))

I hope you also find comfort in this short video, I truly believe we'll be with them again:

The Rainbow Bridge

• Like 1

• Members
Nataliemoriarty1984

We lost our cat last night to two dogs. We have only had him for 3 months, but my kids were so in love with him. I let him outside last night for a little bit, he usually stays in the backyard. When I went out back to call for him I heard some commotion in my front side yard, sounded like dogs, and a faint meow. I didn't think much of it, then I went to the front yard to call for him and that's when I saw the two dogs, one of them had a white small animal in his mouth, when he saw me he dropped it, but picked it back up again and they ran into the back field. I ran inside to put my sandals on, still hoping they had a rabbit or a bird. I found them in the back field and yelled at them. The one dog dropped the animal and they ran off. It was our sweet kitty :( . I tried to wake him up, but he was gone. This morning I buried him next to our other cat that recently passed before we got this one :( . My husband and kids wont be home for another 3 days, and I dont know what to say, or how to say it. My heart hurts for my 12 year old, she has been through so much pain already. She loves her kitties so much. She had already lost two previous kitties. We can't get another one. This is too painful. We are supposed to be going on vacation to hawaii 3 days after they come home. I'm praying it will be just what we need. I'm glad I found this forum. I am still in shock. I keep asking myself questions, why didnt I check the front yard first? I already know why, he is rarely out front. Why didn't I put his collar back on him earlier when he took it off? I wouldve been able to hear him better. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Wow I’m so comforted by this thread. I lost my kitten a few days ago. I am a people pleaser and wanted to make things easier for my ex husband so I allowed his dog to stay with us. This dog is an American bulldog and everyone was afraid of him, but he was so sweet. He would lay on me for hours and give me kisses. I ran to the store on Saturday night to get toilet paper and as the other person above said, I had a bad feeling. I told my husband I didn’t want to go, and he told me it would be good to get out of the house. We were gone for one hour. I opened the front door first and smelled cat urine immediately. My brain wouldn’t acknowledge this as a bad sign and instead I assumed I left the door closed and my kitten couldn’t get to the litter. I quickly glance to the top of the stairs where I see her in a sleeping position. I was like hmm she must feel very comfortable sleeping like that there. But then another part of my brain said- that doesn’t make sense. She usually comes running to me. I took another glance and I see her tiny body, no air in her lungs, just sunken. I broke down screaming. I knew she was dead. My husband ran in and confirmed she was dead, wounds to the neck and chest and even more horrific things were wrong with her body. He put her in a tiny box I have and buried her at the base of our persimmon tree. I can’t stop thinking about how I basically put her in a cage with a wild lion and left. He bit her and he shook her and he killed her. He didn’t eat her. He just played with her like a toy. When I was sick she would rest with me, and as of the last few weeks she was sleeping on my neck and face every night. My toddler loves her. He keeps calling her name but he can’t understand what’s going on. She was so cute and tiny and so playful. She wasn’t even one year old yet. I never thought this would happen. I am so devastated. Thanks for letting me share and sharing your stories.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

@Chrispumpkin  I am so sorry for your loss, I came very close to losing MY puppy to my son's new dog, barely rescued him only to get severely attacked myself.  The dog had to be rehomed, got him returned, rehomed again.  Honestly I have PTSD over it.  One of the most horrific nights of my life, at my son's, my young grandchildren saw the whole thing, blood everywhere, had to wait an hour for my son to get back before I could drive two hours to the hospital and then another 1 1/2 hours home.

To see what you came home to is my worst fear, my puppy has been viciously attacked twice and VERY close calls two more times!  No one should have to experience this.  I don't know if the dog meant harm or was trying to play and didn't realize what would result, but I'd be afraid of leaving him with any vulnerable animal or child again.  This should be discussed with a veterinarian or animal behavioral specialist to ascertain what can be done going forward.

My heart goes out to you, I know how hard it is to lose an animal but all the worse in this manner.  I realize you may have seen these links already but I want to make sure to give them to YOU...

A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

• Members

Oh my @Chrispumpkin I am devastated for you, how absolutely awful. Not your dog's fault, he obviously didn't know any better so hard to blame him. 

That is so tragic. I hope you are doing okay. :( 

• Like 1

• Members

WARNING GRAPHIC STUFF

Hello everyone today i found my son, aka kala boy he was less then a year old i found his body behind me and my girlfriends room. I found him lifeless and missing the top part of his head exposing his brain. When i saw this it absolutely broke my heart he was my first cat in 18 years of my life he taught me that cats where precious and maybe even better then dogs, we had raised him from almost when he was born witch means we bottle fed him, taught him how to poop and pee ,bathed him and spent most of his life teaching him who he was. Don’t worry he had many cat friends and even younger kitten friends from around the neighborhood we live in. He was our everything i protected him with my life and would kill anyone who tried to hurt him. So when i found his small body all torn up and mauled i didn’t know what to do bUT start crying, yelling for help and i kept saying no no no this cant be him it cant be he cannot be gone, NOT dead not like this he never deserved to be taken so soon like that, he did not deserve to be robbed of a full life and all i have to blane is myself for it. I cannot get the picture of it out of my head i fear this will haunt me for the rest of my days. I loved him like he was my child he practically was i watched him grow into a cuddly loving little boy and then because of me he was gone he was gone because i let him stay outside over night. And he went missing for almost two weeks i never saw him once around the house so everyday i waked our neighborhood streets looking for him when he was there the whole time idk how long he was there but bye how much his body was decaying it might have been a while i wish i could have been there, i wish i could have protected him but ik one thing i will never make this mistake again and am thinking about not having dogs because of this how could another animal i loved do this to another its final you cannot have both so you must choose one. If you read this thanks for listening to me i had to get this out!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I've had dogs and cats (together) all my adult life (I'll be 70 this year) and have never had a dog maul a cat like that.  Some dogs are vicious that way, just not one I've had.  I am SO SORRY this happened to your cat!  I've also had cats that were inside/outside but where I live there is wildlife, and our concern are cougars, bear leave them alone, haven't had problems with foxes, raccoons are nocturnal and my cats always stayed inside at night except two who went through outdoor living and they stayed up on the patio in a house built for them with heating pad, away from the forest and other creatures.  

I am so sorry for everything you are experiencing, seeing that image, it's haunting, I'm sure.  If you continue to have these images before you you might want to consider this with a qualified grief counselor...
EMDR
Psychology Tools, CBT, EMDR
EFT
EFT in Grief

This is a good article you might find helpful: https://thegrieftoolbox.com/article/ways-take-break-sadness-when-mourning

Also:
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

• Members
On 1/13/2022 at 3:39 AM, ChassLysa said:

i wish i could have protected him but ik one thing i will never make this mistake again and am thinking about not having dogs because of this how could another animal i loved do this to another its final you cannot have both so you must choose one. If you read this thanks for listening to me i had to get this out!

I'm so very sorry you have lost your beloved cat.

Just a couple of things to consider.  It's not necessarily true that you have to choose cats or dogs.  We had both, raised from puppies and kittens, who loved each other.  In fact, our Keeshond was Mr. Protective not to just his human pack, but the cat.  I have friends who had both until recently.  When their sweet cat died, their dog (she visits with me a few days a week) mourned just like we humans did.  That little bundle of love not only comforted her human pack, but was clearly upset at the loss of her feline companion. The dog was Little Miss Clingy to all of us for 3 months or more.

Another thing, and this is a hard one for all of us, is that while we have domesticated certain canine lines, they are still animals with the instinct to hunt prey.  Unfortunately, the animals who killed him were likely wild/feral and following their instincts.  OTOH, without knowing exactly what happened, I think it's important that you consider the species that is most dangerous of all:  Humans.  One glance at shelter/rescue sites reminds me that we humans are capable of actual evil, whereas animals are not.

It is for all these reasons in the paragraph above that my husband and I stopped letting our cats go outdoors more than 30 years ago.  I do know that some cats really want that and we did train ours on harness and leash so we could take both dog and cat camping, etc.  I'm not chastising you; not at all.  I'm just giving you our perspective.  I have no doubt that you loved him very, very much and are devastated.

• Like 1

• Members

I really can understand your feeling ,

My cat died 2 days ago , he too was hunted by 5 ,6 dogs . He fled from home which i was sure he may got scared of something and ran to the roads i searched for him in my nearby areas but didnt thought that he would go that far while i was searching for him ,i asked some people and they told me that a cat was beaten to death by 5 to 6 dogs , and my heart shrank when they told me that cat was wearing a collar . I know my cat very much he was much of a indoor cat ,he may got lost to the way to home . I felt like if i would have find him sooner he may have been alive and be with me . That people told me that they made a grave for him and he's there & i just wanted to make sure if its him and when i dug his grave i cried when i saw his collar . My heart shrank ,it really hurt to see his belongings . I now really hate dogs . I hope my baby is in rest in peace 

I love you my murphy , you were my first and most beloved cat . Momy will always remember you

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  Not all dogs would do that.  My dogs have never attacked anyone, person/dog/cat/other.  My little Kodie was attacked by a chow when he was 4 1/2 lbs sleeping.  Another time when he was full grown by a neighborhood dog, and very nearly by a dog that attacked me when I wouldn't let him reach Kodie!  I've been bitten 8 times in two years, the one that nearly got him was the worst bite of all, I live with continual pain and only 10% strength in my hands now as a result.  I feel for you.  It's the worst feeling in the world.  I also had a timid scared whippet, Lucky, who was attacked by a pack of dogs, her insides were hanging out, she had to have surgery but fortunately lived.  The owner demanded why didn't I have a fence!  I said because she's under voice command, you HAVE a fence, why didn't you USE it!  Her dogs have attacked dogs/kids multiple times with horrid consequences.  I don't get it.

My heart goes out to you in the loss of your precious cat.  There is no consolation for that kind of trauma, but I hope knowing there are people here who care and understand helps at least a bit.

• Members

My heart goes out to you I am so so sorry to hear what happened to your sweet cat. I wish I could say something to ease what pain I know you are in. 

• Like 1

• Members

@Moom  Oh, this is heartbreaking.  There are no words that can really ease your pain right now.  I can understand why you hate those dogs.  But please remember that not all dogs are like that.  None of ours ever, ever attacked any other creature   Still, I know not all dogs are like ours either.

I wonder if the pack of dogs is feral.  Unfortunately, the instinct of wild animals is to hunt their prey.  IMO, this is why TNR groups are so important to reducing the stray/wild animal populations.  Spaying and neutering our animals too helps, of course.

Regardless of the exact circumstances, you have lost a precious love and that is tragic.  Our hearts hurt for you because we understand the depth of grief you are feeling.  I'm so sorry, though those seem such small words against such a huge and painful loss.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi all, I’m in the same boat, my beautiful boy eddy got killed by 2 dogs on Tuesday. He was one special gorgeous cat, he was my everything, he was a little roamer but never too far & never aloud out at night, 

he wasn’t in bits after his attack, but he was still gone, I can’t stop thinking about how he felt, an how it happened & did he suffer etc, 

my heart is completely broken 

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry @Steph90x.!  To come to a violent death is one of the hardest, the memories keep haunting you.  I didn't find my cat but assume cougar (06/03/16) as she was outside all day, I never allowed them out at night, but this was broad daylight and I was outside working all day, never heard a thing...she was in perfect health and didn't show signs of old age, she never would have left, she loved it here.  We do have cougar but they're mostly nocturnal.  Last time I saw her, she was right in front of the woods (I have forested land on my property).  Had the neighbors search their properties, garages, posted fliers, nothing. It's been six years and I still miss her.

I hope this brings you thoughts of comfort and peace:
Pets go to heaven
We Will See Our Pets in Heaven

• Members
Heartbroken andrea

I don't know if there is any peace to be found. I am so broken. My sweet 3 year old kitty got killed in our backyard today. Our neighbors dogs chewed threw the fence and she just wasn't fast enough to get away. This was literally the sweetest most loving kitty I have ever had. I've cried for like the past 9 hours. This pain is horrific. Knowing how scared she must have been. My precious girl. Can anyone help?

Screenshot_20220501-183326_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

I'm so devastated yesterday my beautiful cat who I have had nearly 16 years died. We have two Huskies, one 7 who has always got on with the cats, then Nico who is nearly 2. A while ago Nico attacked one of the cats out of the blue with no warning, I managed to save her and she was fine but a little shook up. 

Since this happened I have kept them apart but yesterday morning I woke up to a commotion, one of the cats had gone in the room where the dogs were. I managed to get her away but it was too late too much damage was done internally. I will never forget the horrific way she died, it has caused trauma to me and my 18 year old son. I haven't stopped crying since it happened. 

She was the sweetest soul who wouldn't even hurt a fly, her sister is a bit more hardy and a bit more of a hunter but i'm terrified now that she isn't safe. I cant even look at Nico at the minute even though I know it is just instinct and I know I have to forgive but I'm finding it hard at the moment. 

Thank you for giving me a space to let all this out. I'm so sorry for all your losses 😢💔

• Like 1

• Moderators
  • Members

I am so sorry. That is horrible. I wish I could offer you some way to deal with it, beyond the resources already shared by @KayC. My heart goes out to you.

All this time you had no way to know. It might be your dog is getting into his early "teenage" years and a little more aggressive. Not your fault.  

• Like 2

• Members

Thank you, im starting to come to terms with what has happened. Think I will always have some guilt and will be a lot more wary of him in future but the resources shared by KayC are helping. 

• Like 1