New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

My Cat was taken so violently

nittanylamb

• Members
Patchesmom4ever

My cat Patches was killed by my neighbors 4 dogs on February 20th. My neighbor came to inform us that my cat was dead in his yard...I went over to see and it was my baby...horrified I just started crying. She didn't even have a chance...he trains his dogs to hunt so they attacked her, she was 21 pounds and really not a runner...I know I should have kept her indoors which is what everyone tells me, but her & her mother were rescue animals...I had her since she was born & the mom kept taking her out of my house, we would have to go search for her & bring her in...never the less these cats were just outdoor cats.

My Patch would be scared of the UPS truck, she would scratch at the door & I would let her in, My cat was NEVER out over night. They slept during the day & would like to go out around 7 and would always come inside by 8:30 or 9pm, but NEVER any later than that... My neighbor lied and said that it must have been a coyote... I found his dogs fur under her nails. She did everything with me, she would stay by my side while I was pregnant with my 20 month old. She would sleep by my feet every night, climb over me with her 20lb body & lick my hand until I fell asleep. She LOVED Water, so at bath time, she would sit in the bathroom while the baby has her bath, as well as when I showered...she wanted to lick the water off my hand. She LOVED fruit, grapes, blueberries, nectarines, oranges, raspberries. She never took to anyone else in the house, just me. This is why this is SO hard for me.... She would go outside with me and I would watch her chase squirrels, birds, dragon flies, but she would never want to hurt anything. Once her mom caught a tiny field mouse & she wouldn't even try to get it...she just lightly touched it...she wasn't your typical hunter cat....And it just KILLS me that she was "HUNTED" she didn't even know to run...when she would get scared, she would just freeze. My heart just aches.....she didn't deserve to leave this earth that way, I just have her final image in my mind...of her hissing at them to just leave her alone.... I know that she didn't belong in their yard, and I don't understand why she was...she NEVER went over there....I just wish there was something I could have done....I wish I never let her out that night. :(.....

• Members
1330119049' post='84410']

My cat Patches was killed by my neighbors 4 dogs on February 20th. My neighbor came to inform us that my cat was dead in his yard...I went over to see and it was my baby...horrified I just started crying. She didn't even have a chance...he trains his dogs to hunt so they attacked her, she was 21 pounds and really not a runner...I know I should have kept her indoors which is what everyone tells me, but her & her mother were rescue animals...I had her since she was born & the mom kept taking her out of my house, we would have to go search for her & bring her in...never the less these cats were just outdoor cats.

My Patch would be scared of the UPS truck, she would scratch at the door & I would let her in, My cat was NEVER out over night. They slept during the day & would like to go out around 7 and would always come inside by 8:30 or 9pm, but NEVER any later than that... My neighbor lied and said that it must have been a coyote... I found his dogs fur under her nails. She did everything with me, she would stay by my side while I was pregnant with my 20 month old. She would sleep by my feet every night, climb over me with her 20lb body & lick my hand until I fell asleep. She LOVED Water, so at bath time, she would sit in the bathroom while the baby has her bath, as well as when I showered...she wanted to lick the water off my hand. She LOVED fruit, grapes, blueberries, nectarines, oranges, raspberries. She never took to anyone else in the house, just me. This is why this is SO hard for me.... She would go outside with me and I would watch her chase squirrels, birds, dragon flies, but she would never want to hurt anything. Once her mom caught a tiny field mouse & she wouldn't even try to get it...she just lightly touched it...she wasn't your typical hunter cat....And it just KILLS me that she was "HUNTED" she didn't even know to run...when she would get scared, she would just freeze. My heart just aches.....she didn't deserve to leave this earth that way, I just have her final image in my mind...of her hissing at them to just leave her alone.... I know that she didn't belong in their yard, and I don't understand why she was...she NEVER went over there....I just wish there was something I could have done....I wish I never let her out that night. :(.....

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

• Members
Patchesmom4ever

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. I cried as I read your story. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

• Members
1330138547' post='84429']

Thank you Maddy, it is comforting to know that they go into shock....it makes it a little easier

I hope you are ok. How long did you have Patches for?

• Members
hikinmike

So sorry to hear of your cat's fate. I lost a very naiive and curious cat in November. My wife died in July, but somedays it seems I miss the cat (Mr Bocce) more than I do my wife. So often Bocce was the only one of who made any sense.

• Members
nittanylamb

Dear Patchesmom4ever - I so feel your pain right now and the guilt. My beloved little dog Lily was killed yesterday by a coyote. I let her out and she didn't come back...which I had done before and she always returned. Problem this time is that it was 4:30 in the morning, pitch black. We have a fence so I never really gave it a second thought..she always came back. I found her remains with the coyote in my yard. My poor husband had to pick her up and bring her to the vet. She was in two pieces. He is devestated at what he saw. The little dog with the soft fur and the pink belly was ripped in half. Like your Patches, my Lily was a perfect companion and loving beyond belief. I just can't shake the image or the wondering about whether she suffered terribly. Did she cry? Did she linger? Does she think I betrayed her? All of the questions are killing me. And the lack of unfairness is incredible to me, my dogs sleep on my bed, get a prime spot on the sofa, while other dogs are strictly outdoors, and not included with the family...and these pets are alive and mine is not. I am sorry to hijack your thread PatchesMom, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I truly hope that comfort comes to us both soon at some point, we were good, loving pet parents and I feel we don't deserve this.

• Like 1
  • Members
Sams mom
On 2/24/2012 at 7:03 PM, Maddy6 said:

I am so very sorry over what happened to Patches. She sounds like she was such a wonderful, loyal, faithful, and gentle pet. I know, like you said she should not have been where the dogs were, but cats are cats. They like to roam. She did not expect that. The dogs were doing what dogs do also. So you can not blame them because it is in their nature. I am sorry Patches died that way. Sorry the circumstances surrounding her death were not kinder. Please try not to remember how she died. Before an animal dies they often go into shock and are not even aware. She most likely did not feel any pain. I pray you will be comforted over this tragic loss. You could not have known something like this would happen when you let her go outside. I had a cat once that was declawed and he would sneak out. We could not keep him in the house. Cats are like that, they want to go outside and roam. It was an unfortunate accident is all. Again, I am so very sorry over the loss of you precious pet Patches.

Maddy

This was very helpful to me.  My cat Sam was killed 2 nights ago by a coyote. The water is high on the river and they have apparently moved into the neighborhood to find food.  I was warned by a neighbor who said another cat had been attacked and I knew it would be challenging to keep Sam inside.  Sam was a 100% outdoor cat when I adopted him.  My neighbor had passed away and her family just left Sam behind. He was surviving ok but I ultimately brought him home - just down the street. He slowly, over a few months, accepted his new home with me and my golden retriever. He still ruled the neighborhood, followed us on our walks and came and went at his choosing. In the hot months I had come to accept that he preferred to stay outside most of the time. He just wouldn't come in.  He was with me for 9.5 years and I loved him so. I have no idea how old he was because he had a life before me - maybe 14 - but he certainly didn't act like it. He would sleep with me - at his choosing - and cuddle - at his choosing.  

I feel horribly guilty that I did not figure out how to heed the warning. I would try to convince him to stay in and he would sometimes agree and sometimes just howl until I relented. That night I relented. 

I just feel awful. And I can't get over the feeling that I let him down. It was a gruesome way to go and I just pray he wasn't aware for long. 

This forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm just devastated. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

Was this posted in a different thread?  Seems word for word,  I already read and responded:

The last two cats that I adopted were rescues who'd been on their own, outside, and they also liked the power to choose whether to be inside our outside.  It's hard to make them an indoor cat 100% once they've been on their own.  My Miss Mocha gradually became more indoor than out but on the last day of her life, three years ago, she wanted outside and I let her out...I believe it was a cougar that got her, I was outside all day and never heard a sound, but cougars are like that, swift and take them by surprise, they go into shock and no time to yowl or react.  My only hope is that it was very quick and that shock cushioned her from any pain or fear.  I miss her so much.

I know what you are going through.  (((hugs)))

• Members
Sams mom

Thank you and yes...I posted under another thread first but realized it was from 2012 so thought I should just start a new thread. I'm new so forgive me as I wasn't sure how this works.  I appreciate your kind words (twice even!). I feel just sick about it. He was extremely opinionated and I knew (on some level) that I couldn't protect him but coyotes!  I don't live in an area where this is typically an issue so I never had thought about it before. 

Again, I appreciate your kindness. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

The coyotes stop short of coming into residential (I'm in the country) here but it's always a possibility...here we have cougars (most fearsome!), bear (not a problem), foxes, raccoons, skunks, you name it.  It's so hard to think about our beloved cats going in this way, and I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

• Like 1
  • Members

My kitten, Peace, passed away last year while I was at school from a dog attack. We still don't know whether or not it was our dog or our neighbors but I have a feeling it was our neighbors because the neighbors dog had never really gotten along with her. I found her at my neighbors barn and loved her at first sight and talked my dad into letting me keep her as long as she stayed in our garage because he was allergic. Every morning I would wake up at 4am so I could get dressed, eat breakfast, and go play with her for 30-45 minutes before school. She was always right at the door ready for me, and always knew when I was coming. She was the first cat I ever owned and she was so perfect. I never had to litter train her, she just knew where to go right away. She always knew when I was having a bad day, and some days she was my only motivation to get up in the morning. No one else in my family would take care of her so I felt like I had a responsibility and something that relied on me with their life. The day that she passed, I didn't know that my dad let her out but he did. Some days when it was warm she would have access in and out of the garage so this day, he left the door open just a little so that she could go out if she wanted to. I was in a rush in the morning, and felt weird leaving in the morning but I had tp go so I said bye quick to her and ran into the car. After school, I usually fell asleep on the way home and this day was no different, except when we got home my dad let me sleep a little longer. When I woke up I went into the house quick to use the bathroom and put my bag down, but before I could do any of that my dad came up to me and said he found Peace  on our blacktop dead. He said he dug a little hole, and buried her in it, and thought it would just upset me more if I saw her. At that time I already wasn't in the best spot mentally, and one way I coped was did schoolwork so that whole night I did schoolwork and cried. I blame myself because I felt weird leaving that morning. If I had listened to myself maybe she would still be here. I feel so bad, and just pray that she died instantly, that she dint die alone in pain. I try to remember the few memories that I had with her. She was always so cute. She loved the leaves and would always chase them around and try to bury her little claws in them. When she was playing she would jump sideways in the cutest way. Recently, where I live we got our first major snow of the year and it made me wonder how she would like the snow. She never got to see, snow. Sometimes I feel weird still grieving over her because she's been gone now for over a year. Some nights, my mind wanders to the memories of her, and I just spend an our or so balling my eyes out trying to stay quiet enough not to wake up my parents or brother. Just writing this now I'm trying now to cry. I don't think my parents really understand how much she was to me. My dad says he's sorry, but when I tell him I think another kitten will fill the missing piece of my heart he says I'm not responsible enough. I know no other kitten will replace Peace, but maybe another will just help me finally feel like my life is whole. She was such a perfect kitty, and I loved her to the moon and back. She was only with me for 3 months and couldn't have had a longer life then 5 months. I miss her all the time, every day. 

• Like 1
  • Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  It's not at all weird that you're still grieving her, she was a family member who was a big part of your life!  Our animals don't require much, food, shelter, love, attention, playtime, but they give back so much more!  Unconditional love!  Forgiveness when we're grumpy.  And little kittens and puppies are so full of zest for life, it's contagious and makes us smile!  Being with them releases endorphins in our body that make us feel better, a great way to de-stress.

From what you've told me, you seem like you were responsible for her, so I'm not sure what your dad means, you might want to ask him outright what area he sees specifically that he feels you need to be more responsible in?  Ask for specifics so you can work on them.  

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/10/a-bill-of-rights-for-grieving-animal.html
http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-grieving-animal-lovers.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2018/12/pet-loss-coping-with-trauma-of.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/02/pet-loss-disenfranchised-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2013/03/memorializing-pets-we-have-lost.html

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/09/pet-loss-why-does-it-hurt-so-much.html

1273339795_Dogsgetfreepass.jpg.978e617329f5caeb0687556e5c055a20.jpg   Cats too!

• Members
Ninja Mom

First, I hope all you who have had your fur babies pass have reached a place of peace  <3

Its been about a week since my cat Ninja died. He was an indoor/ outdoor cat but always stay within the confines of the backyard with an occasional escape to the front yard. Always slept inside, never ate any food laying around( unless there was a piece of cheese laying around), and had absolutely no concept of personal space. While I was out for a run last Wednesday, my dad let him out into the backyard like he usually does & went about his business inside. Unfortunately, Ninja decided to climb over the fence and escape to the front of the house...but what he did next still has us perplexed because we cant understand WHY. We have a driveway door that leads into the backyard and many years ago, my dad had put a piece of plastic underneath the door to discourage him from escaping underneath ( he grew up to be a huge cat so he could no longer fit underneath). For whatever reason, maybe curious, or maybe he got scared by a loud noise,  he decided to stick his head in the smallest of openings between that door and the plastic and got his head caught. The plastic must have suffocated him and he died of asphyxiation . My parents didnt realize he died until they went to check on him. He fought for his little life so hard that there were scratch marks on the driveway door , peeing himself in the process &that only remind me that he died a painful & tragic death. The worst part is, no one heard anything .When I got the frantic call that Ninja was dead, I ran the fastest i ever ran in my life. Seeing his little lifeless body which was so joyful and full of life earlier that day absolutely broke me. I feel guilty that he died alone, with no one there to save him. My dad feels guilty that he put the plastic there to begin with even if it was for his own good back then. My mom feels guilty she didnt do a better job looking for him when she got home from work. We just cant figure out why he tried to go under the door when its something he NEVER does. 6 years of living in this house& It was never an issue and now he paid for it with his life. My baby didnt deserve to die like that, so tragically, abrupt and alone. He was going to be 10 this June and he still had so much life to live. The house just feels so empty without him and as much as i try to just think of the good memories and his little quirks, it fills my heart with sadness knowing that I wont get to see him every day, feel him cuddling against me, or hear him meowing for treats, food & attention anymore. He was a big part of our family & I miss him so much. 

• Like 1
  • Members
AJWCat

I am so so sorry to read about your shocking loss. How strange that he did that - we never know what's going on with cats sometimes. 

I lost my cat while we were at a vacation house. He was with us (supposedly) got into something poisonous but I never figured out what it was exactly. But who knows?? (I felt very responsible because I fear he got into something I never found or saw.)

He got violently ill and his last couple hours was being taken to the emergency vet. He was in pain and suffered until we finally put him down. It broke my heart. I was insane with grief for quite some time. Our "vacation" which was for many more weeks was of course totally ruined. I spent every day crying. 

I have found a place of peace with what happened but it's a great sadness of my life. So anyway, I know where you are right now and I am so so sorry again. Hang in there. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

I am so sorry for your cat's tragic death.  Perhaps he heard a noise he wanted to investigate, who knows..  I am so sorry and totally understand you and your family's feelings.  We go through all of the "what ifs" in an effort to find a different possible outcome as the one that is, is too hard to accept.  None of you are guilty of anything except trying to love & protect him.  I pray for peace for you and your family, the getting used to the changes it means for your life are a process, seems all too slow, the adjustment, but eventually we begin to realize they aren't in our everyday lives anymore, although I'm of the mind they still exist...somewhere, in some way..

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Members
Lexie

I’m both happy and sad to have found this forum. My cat Cleo was killed 2 days ago by street dogs. He was always roaming around the house and never had any issues. These dogs ... I just don’t know. I cat get the picture of my baby out of my head. They had mauled  him so badly from his hind legs they were limp and he was holding himself up by his front legs with this look of shock. I tried getting him to the vet but he died in the back seat... I hate myself for even letting him out that day. He had just been laying on my windowsill. I miss him so bad I can’t seem to process the violent death. He would sleep with me every night. I felt like no one understood because everyone still had their pets and I just don’t anymore. He just doesn’t exist anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

I am so sorry, it's horrible.  Our worst nightmare.  I'm not convinced he doesn't exist anymore, another realm perhaps, but it's hard having them gone from our everyday existence...he continues in your heart, always.  :wub:

• Members
Marble_new

Lexie, I am so very sorry to to hear about your loss. It is absolutely heart-breaking.

I have a story quite similar to yours. Our beautiful cat, also named Cleo, was killed by a dog 6 days ago right outside our backyard. This dog was just visiting our neighbourhood and was on a leash when it walked by our house. Nonetheless, it hurt him so bad that he died from the injuries.

We were not in at that moment but a neighbour heard everything and got out and wrapped him in a towel. He was still alive, although barely, making this little whimpering, almost purring sound. She got him to the vet, which I am eternally grateful for, but there was nothing to do but to put him down.

So I think I can relate to your pain, Lexie. It is awful. Our Cleo was 17 years old, we found him 15 years ago as a small stray, and the kindest cat I've known. He never wanted to fight, he'd do anything not to have to. All he ever wanted to do was cuddle. He followed my mother around everywhere, like a dog, and loved everybody. It just breaks my heart that his life had to end this way, that he had to suffer for so long, that we were not there with him... I wish I would have been able to protect him and like you, I cannot get that image of him hurt (although I never saw it, so I can only imagine) out of my head.

We loved our Cleo so very much, and I am sure you loved yours just as much. I hope that they knew they were loved and that it somehow, maybe, gave them some comfort. I know the pain is unbearable, but I hope that we will both eventually be able to process what happened and let all the good things we learned from our cats live on in ourselves, as a celebration.

Cleo, I love you forever.

• Members

My cat was exactly like this. She was just 8 months old and was killed by street dogs day before yesterday. She was the sweetest cat ever and a perfection at that. She never killed anyone/anything. She would just play with insects, butterflies etc and leave them. She would ask for food but never forcibly took it or stole it from anywhere. She would play around money plants in circles and would always come back home after some adventurous 1/2 hours and sleep near us. Her mom (a stray cat) birthed her in our backyard and shifted all her kids while leaving this one behind and that's when we adopted her. She was not even a month old then. We struggled to keep her alive but we also tried to give her the freedom to roam around sometime when she wanted so she becomes aware of the outside world. 2 days before she was killed, she had a miscarriage and was down with a lot of fever. I took her to the vet for two days straight and she was not okay with taking so many injections (she had to take 5+7 injections in two days). It was heartbreaking that my baby had to go through this pain. Nevertheless, she was fine when she got home and she forgot everything quite quickly.  However, she wanted to sit outside (inside our premises though) and we let her. My sister had an eye on her the whole time. My sister just came in to tell me something and we suddenly heard dogs barking and ran outside to find her circled by street dogs. She had probably jumped outside a min or two ago. It was a matter of very very few mins and there she was, taking her last breath. I cannot explain the pain we are all in right now. She was such a good soul and gave us so much happiness. Everything in our house has a memory of her and it hurts. Its like someone is taking your heart out. I hope she is in heaven and knows how much mommy loved her. 

This platform made me realise i am not alone and i hope all of us get through these tough phases and heal while sending our blessings to our babies in heaven.

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

@Abhi  I am so sorry for your loss.  It's the hardest thing in the world, they are our children, very much a part of our family.  I hope you too find comfort here, please know we understand and "get" all you are feeling and going through.  (((hugs)))

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

I hope you also find comfort in this short video, I truly believe we'll be with them again:

The Rainbow Bridge

• Like 1