Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

To bereave, a note

her_chrissy

• Members

Gripping them close, terrified to lose anything, while living with nothing else left to lose.

yes

• Like 2

• Members

"We've been robbed of our closest friends, of our loves, of our futures, and of a deep and irreplaceable piece of ourselves. But unlike with a common theft or a stolen valuable, there is no justice, no answers, no restitution, and no lasting peace from the invisible hand who has robbed us."

How true this is. I am bereaved on many levels.

• Like 1

• Members

I'm getting ready for the house and garage to be fumigated, so I may be off the forums for a few days.  But I just wanted to say it's nice to "meet" another word/language geek.  My John and I used to "read the dictionary for the plot" according to my mother.  We'd get out my compact full OED to look up a word and be so enamored of that word and the ones around it that we'd still be there 45 minutes later.  He was a CPA and software developer, but his love of language was as strong as mine.  We were well matched that way.  And now our daughter, a French language major, has ended up as the copywriter for a Flipgrid development team.  I guess our love of words rubbed off on her after all because she called the other day and told me that our granddaughter had to come find her when 30 minutes had passed while "Mom, you said you were looking up one word!"

I'm a technical writer, editor, and document designer by profession.  Etymology is fascinating because it shows us how our languages evolved and thus, how society developed.  There's a short exchange in a show (can't remember which off the top of my head) where someone says "That word is made up!" and the other person responds, "All words are made up!"  I've always chuckled over that.

Thanks for showing us why our modern word "bereave" is so on target to describe grieving for the loves of our lives.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I love how you express this, you're so right, all of you, it helps to understand the historical value of words, to grasp their full meaning.  He got it.