Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Charlie my best buddy ever, man i miss you.

lvl1sro

• Members

My best buddy Charlie (our 11 year old rescue Yorkie) lost his battle to bladder cancer on September 25th 2021 at 1pm.  He was diagnosed with bladder cancer in January of 2021 which unfortunately due to the location surgery was not and option.  I found a doctor and we tried chemo for several months but the tumor did not shrink.  Its been 3 months and the hole in my heart has not shrunk at all unfortunately and i miss him very very badly.  Charlie was a very special friend to me and I always felt a strange bond with him and it always made me sick to think one day he would be gone.  Hopefully i will see him again, that is my wish to the good Lord above.

Love and miss you Charlie.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I am so sorry to read of your loss of sweet Charlie. We know they won't live forever but when they are finally gone, it is soul crushing. Time will heal but it can take a long long time. My cat has been gone now for 4 years and I still miss him. It's not the heartbreak it was for so long but I will never forget him. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry, I went through my cancer journey with my Arlie, my "soulmate in a dog," 2 1/2 years ago.  You can read his story here...it helped me to write about him, it was important for me that the world know him and he never be forgotten.  I love and miss him still, I always will.

Yorkies are very special dogs, I know your loss is great and your heart broken.  I hope you will continue to come here and read/post, it helps us in processing our grief.  It also can help to honor them in some way.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  I also lost my best buddy to bladder cancer.  He had other issues so wasn’t a candidate for any treatment and it was also in a place where surgery isn’t an option.  He was 16 and had a pretty good 8 months.  Unfortunately, I was in such denial that I waited too long to let him go.  He lasted another 3 1/2 months after that but I should have helped him pass before that. I also made some other mistakes at the end with him that I am forever going to feel guilty for.  I loved him so much and hope that he forgives me.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's the good thing about them, they forgive us immediately, their love is beyond that of humans, imo.  Everything you did was from a loving place in your heart, he knows that.  I went through the same and when at last I had my sweet beautiful Arlie euthanized, they botched it and he went out in pain...I was trying to EASE his suffering, I'll never forget the horrifying look on his face as he died, it haunts me still, 2 1/2 years later.  :(

It's over now, I can take consolation in that...but for me, I continue to love and miss him, my beautiful sweet perfect dog.

• Members
20 hours ago, Mandy25 said:

I loved him so much and hope that he forgives me.

I believe they forgive us instantly, just as they would forgive us in life when we were imperfect.  We do our best for them every day of their lives, knowing that we are flawed human beings who cannot see the future.  We love them with every beat of our hearts.  That's one of the amazing things I see with rescue animals.  So often an animal has been abused or neglected or tossed out like garbage, but once he or she has been rescued and is given safety, hope, and love, they forgive us all. 

My heart and stomach clench every time I read any animal or person has been lost to bladder cancer.  It's a bastard; there's simply no other way to say it.  I lost my husband to it as well.  It's a particularly insidious one and so often doctors and vets don't notice/find it until it is advanced.  My husband's was also in a difficult place to both spot and remove.  We had hope at first that the treatments were working.  The chemo seemed effective and we went to the next step.  But after his first surgery, things went downhill and 4 months later he was gone. 

I often ask myself why I did or didn't do this or that sooner; why the doctors did or didn't do this or that sooner; why I didn't push my love when I disagreed with his decisions; and most of all toward the end, why I didn't say, "Honey, do you want to stop?  Do you want to go home?" and let him go sooner.  He fought longer and harder than I should have asked or expected because he couldn't bear to leave us and because I couldn't bear to lose him.  I tortured myself over that for a long time.  And over time I came to accept that there were things I could and should have done better, but that there were many things over which I had no control.  The acceptance of our imperfections, even within the boundless love we have for them, isn't easy or fast, but it does happen.

My heart hurts for all of you, all of us, knowing that we did the best we could and still lost them.  They forgave us our flaws and it's up to us to learn to forgive ourselves.

• Like 1

• Members

I am so sorry. I think aside from missing them so so much, forgiving ourselves is an extremely hard part of losing someone we love, especially in my case where I actually  did screw up.  I don’t think I will ever forgive myself.

• Like 1

• Moderators